“Clean but needs some modernisation.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rivenhall Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rivenhall Hotel to your Saves list
Rivenhall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rivenhall End, Witham CM8 3BH, England (Formerly Jarvis Rivenhall)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Witham
“Clean but needs some modernisation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

More of a motel than hotel. Very 1970's. Could do with some investment and modernisation. Although clean enough. Food was average. Staff pleasant. Some noise from the A12 but very convenient travel-wise.

• Stayed July 2013

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was on a weekend course just up the road in Kelvedon, so the Rivenhall Hotel was very handy.

It's called a Hotel, but should probably be called a Motel. It's very much in the vein of the Crossroads motel of 1970's TV. It was probably built around that time given the design and decor, which wouldn't be a problem in and of itself if it looked/smelled like it had been given a coat of paint since. The thing that sprung to mind as I walked into the the place was that it was a bit like British Rail i.e. the result of several decades of underinvestment.

There is a main block, surrounded by a number of single story blocks which have several rooms fronted by a corridor. The first thing I noticed on approach my block was the state of the peeling paintwork. The second was the musty, damp smell. If you were a scientist studying mill-dew you'd have had a fantastic time there. There's tons of the stuff.

The room itself wasn't any better. The bed was comfy enough and the bedding clean. Other than that there isn't much to say apart from suggesting that all the furniture and fittings would be better off in a skip. I'm not even sure it was up to much back in the 70's.

The bathroom was where it started to go really wrong. Grotty is probably the best word for it. I think it was at a stage of decay that no matter what the cleaners did (and I'm not criticising them) that it would never look properly clean. There was no hot water on my first morning, so having reported it to reception ("we'll get someone on it straight away") I set off to the health spa (interesting description!!) for a shower. Yet another smelly, mouldy location, but at least there was hot water. The second morning the hot water situation still hadn't been sorted so I was given access to another room. Again it stank of damp/mould.

On a more positive note, the staff were great. Very friendly and helpful. Clearly doing their best to make good of a bad situation. I ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night and have to say that I was reasonably impressed with the food. Put it this way, I've had much worse food in some 5 star hotels and expensive restaurants. I'm not convinced that it wasn't 'boil in a bag', but they'd followed the instructions well and hadn't overcooked it.

The bar and restaurant areas are OK as well, although the 'garden' outside the bar was a bit of a mess. I literally looked at half a dozen wooden seats before I found one that didn't look like it would collapse on me (or had already collapsed on someone else). The fact that you are about 10 feet away from the A12 meant that you didn't want to spend too much time there anyway.

In short, I didn't have a truly awful time there (my course was great so I had a fantastic weekend), but the Rivenhall Hotel really is a dump. I couldn't, hand on heart, recommend anyone to book there. It's a shame that the staff aren't snapped up by somewhere with a bit more of a clue.

If you do go, there's plenty of parking, as befits a 1970's Motel.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be better ;o)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Witham hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here when attending a wedding at the same venue. Hotel is terrible. Damp smell in the rooms, squeaky beds and poor service. Hotel carpets stained which just freaks you out from the start. Breakfast was the best part, but at £70 odd a night, I felt ripped off.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Yorkshire Lass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I suppose it is a "hybrid" hotel! It is very appropriate to where it is. It does look like a flaked and reformed "motel" but it is very clean and the staff are friendly and welcoming. Issues around security have obviously been addressed.
The food was good and the service was excellent. I would stay there again - especially if I was using Stanstead Airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I booked the Spa day for me, my daughter and 2 friends for my daughters birthday. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. we made our way to the Spa for our first treatment at 10.30. The changing rooms are extremely small and very dated and in need of a good refurb. After our treatment we went to the pool which was clean but lacking Sun Loungers and although some chairs were there, they had towels and bags on but no one appeared on them for a good couple of hours, I thought this was very wrong! the Steam room was far to hot but the sauna was better, but the whole place needs to be refurbished and up dated. The treatment rooms upstairs were laid out nicely but everything around needs co-ordinating as it was all a bit of a miss match! the downstairs treatment room wasn't to great and not very calming, I had a pedicure where my feet were bathed with a flannel! not in a foot spa...and real foot treatment just a file and paint basically.
We had lunch which was very nice and our waitress was very polite, my daughters dessert which was Bonofee Pie, the pastrie was rather hard apart from that it was nice.
I was told that the hotel has been sold and I hope that the new owners will improve it and make lots of improvements and bring it into the 2oth century.
we made the most of our day and enjoyed it as a group of friends out together.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Stevenage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My partner and I found a cheap deal on afternoon tea and use of the spa at the Rivenhall. Unfortunately, the whole day was just not up to scratch. The receptionist was very polite and allowed us to start our afternoon tea as soon as we got there - we were a bit early, so that was good. The dining room was nice; unfortunately one of the coffee cups on the table was filthy, although this was changed with an apology. When the coffee pot arrived, it had been plunged incorrectly so the first cup was full of coffee grounds. The afternoon tea was just not good enough - the sandwiches were cheap sliced white bread with hardly any filling, the cupcakes had icing so hard we could barely cut through it, and they tasted several days old, as did the scones.
We moved on to the spa and it was OK, but very small - only a handful of loungers, though the place was almost empty that day so it wasn't a problem. The sauna was fine (although tiny!) but the steam room was far too hot to sit in. We each had a massage which was very enjoyable
and relaxing. We didn't use the gym, but that looked OK. The whole swimming pool area could have been a bit cleaner.

It is a shame as with a bit of a clean and an update, this could be a good place. We did think about staying on and having dinner there, but having had the afternoon tea, we decided not to risk it. I am sorry to say I would not return and glad that we did not pay full price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grasby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My sister recommended & booked Rivenhall Hotel for us when we visited Colchester for a family event yesterday. We had travelled a long way & both of us were very tired. We were pleasantly surprised at the entrance and helpfulness of the lady on reception. We were given a lovely large bedroom which was extremely comfortable and very clean. We both had the best night's sleep in ages. We used the pool and Jacuzzi which was very warm and were given large white towels to us and good quality shampoo in the large showers. When we run out of tea and coffee Tom on reception soon replenished them. This morning Tom checked out us, very efficiently and helped us to find out way to our next destination. Nothing was too much trouble. We will definitely be staying again in the future when we visit our family again. Our stay at the Rivenhall Hotel helped to make our special weekend even better.

Room Tip: We asked for an upstairs bedroom as that is our preference.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rivenhall Hotel? Share your experiences!