“another wonderful meal” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Portuguese
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional fresh cooked dishes of portuguese madeira island
essex
“another wonderful meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

once again opicado has surpassed itself, our daughters birthday meal was so special thanks to this wonderful place the food was amazing, steaks so tender ,skate, divine, red snapper delicious. the starters from mussels,jacks, octopus,scabbard,and saltcod,cannot be faulted and the chocolate almond tart is to die for , then what better way to finish their delicious liquior coffee. many thanks to wonderful staff who work so hard but allways make you feel so welcome, cant wait to come back again .

• Visited December 2012

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Not sure what all the fuss is about”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Not sure if we picked a bad night or were just unlucky in our choice of dishes.

Tried the garlic bread with cheese for starters - I liked it but my gf didn't like it.

Mains were bife a cavalo (sirloin steak with fried egg on top) and galinha piri (chicken with strips with peppers and potatoes).

My steak was full of joints and nothing like sirloin I've had before. I've not had much Portuguese food before so I'm not sure whether it should have been like that. Was a bit bland though.

My partner had the chicken (tried a bit of hers - which tasted good) but I'm feeling the onset of heartburn as I'm typing this (gf says she feels the same).

The other reviews mention the seafood being good so maybe I should have stuck with that.

Our waitress was friendly and explained the dishes and offered us the pre-theatre option of two pastas and a starter.

If this is the one of the best westcliff-on-sea has to offer, I strongly suggest you guys come down to Brighton and see sample some of the amazing restaurants down here. :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Great traditional Portuguese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had never noticed this place and had driven past it hundreds of times. The food is just great and the service was fantastic!! Custard tart was just brilliant. Will be back.

• Visited December 2012
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“gorgeous little gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

love this place, the food was great.

Had chilly bread for starter which was great! followed by the steak equally tasty.

really reasonably priced and the best sangria I've had since I visited Portugal, so nice I wouldn't share it!

Very rustic with a warm and cosy atmosphere and lovely attentive staff.

• Visited October 2012
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Great evening - hidden gem...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was going to the palace theatre (which is just across the road) decided to go here at short notice for a bite to eat first...loving atmosphere - very friendly staff...huge menu....lovely setting inside and hidden covered area out the back...really good value and busy bustly restuarant but attentive friendly staff - would recommend - would go back

Visited November 2012