“In need of TLC” 2 of 5 stars

5 Clifftown Parade, Westcliff-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea SS1 1DP, England   |
London/Essex
“In need of TLC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband on a Saturday night. Just needed a place to get ready & sleep as was attending a friend's birthday party in town so went for the cheapest I could find. I now regret this & wish I'd paid the extra £20 or so that other local B&B's/Hotels were asking for.

The location is extremely convenient for the town centre & seafront but unfortunately that's where the praise ends. We were in a room on the top floor which was tiny & the 'ensuite' was more like a shower in a cupboard. The room & the building really needs some updating - we had light fittings falling apart and a hole in the wall. Full English at breakfast but the beans were stone cold. Didn't have the heart to tell the lady serving as she seemed rushed off her feet & appeared to be working alone. All the above could be forgiven if the room had been nice & clean, which it wasn't. And for us that was the biggest disappointment. We don't have ridiculously high standards of cleanliness but the surfaces were dusty, the carpet had mud on & the sheets were stained.

It's a shame as the building clearly used to be lovely, but we won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2012
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for your comments they are very helpful in raising standards as we have now taken ownership and take all feedback seriously. Penny and I toook ownership on 2nd November and we have plans to improve the facility. I do hope you will visit again soon and notice improvements though of course some may take time If you contact us quoting TAGP2Nov we will offer you a discount on your next stay.
Thanks again for taking the time to write a review

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here for one night and was quite pleasantly surprised for the price I paid. The room was clean with en suite, the staff friendly, the breakfast good. Only a short walk to the town center and beach.
Towels supplied.
Extra coffee was offered at breakfast.
I have stayed in other budget places in Southend and they were awful, I will be returning here again.
Not sure about parking, I arrived by train.

Room Tip: I stayed in the single room, small but functional, view to the rear of the building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

What a terrible experience, avoid this place at all costs. I was quoted £414 for 2 rooms for 3 nights. I advised the girl on the phone it would be late on 24th August we were arriving as we had a late flight from Belfast. We arrived about 11pm a man who I assume is the owner came to the door to meet us. He advised there was a mix up with the booking that only 1 room had been booked. We asked what we should do then, his response was a shrug of his shoulders. No apology or resolution. He advised we could stay that night but he was full for the rest the weekend. He then opened the door for us to leave and said he wouldn't have took a booking for 4 girls anyway. So basically this had nothing to do with a mistake in the booking he just did not want us to stay. So at 11pm at night on a bank holiday weekend we were left in a different country walking the streets trying to find somewhere to stay. Luckily the rest of the town weren't as ignorant and unhelpful as Gleneagles staff. Maybe you should learn how to apologise for a mistake and find a resolution for your customers in future otherwise you might not have customers for much longer. DONT FORGET CUSTOMERS PAY YOUR WAGE!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Chorley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The gleneagles hotel is an average hotel, not horrible but not fantastic. It is very handy for central Southend about five minutes walk from the pier or shopping centre.
Parking could be a problem especially at the weekend as Southend is a very popular resort.
The breakfasts were very good and the landlady and staff were very friendly and helpful.
Whichever way you choose to enter the hotel there are about eight steps so it is not very disabled friendly. The hotel is about 100 yards from the funicular lift to the promenade, so it is easy to return from the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

i stayed in this hotel with my teenage daughter and 90 year old aunt.
we arrived early but were made welcome and were given a pot of coffee each while our rooms were being prepared. within a short period of time our rooms were ready and we were able to take our rooms.
myself and my daughter had room A. it was more like an apartment, with a huge bed (queen size i think). the bed,pillows and bedding was amazingly comfortable. the shower was also huge. plenty of wardrobe space and hangers and plenty of drawers.a flat screen tv, hairdryer and tea/coffee facilities.
the hotel had a very relaxed andcomfortable atmosphere, no-one bothered us.
Breakfast was delicious, well cooked and presented. we were asked if we wanted any more coffee/tea or toast etc and there was also cereals that you could help yourself to, so you certainly wouldnt be hungry.
location was superb. right on the cliffs with beautiful views and a 2 minute walk to the centre of town or the seafront.
Debbie (the manager), was extremely helpful and friendly in every way.
i would certainly recommend this hotel and would definately stay there again if i have the opportunity.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This little guest house in situated in a fantastic location, it is only a ten minute stroll from the train staion, a two min stroll from the city centre the shops, pier and seafront.

Myself and my Husband were on a short 2 night honeymoon from leicester, we informed debbie that we was going to arriving early.
upon arriaval at 9.20 am, we was aloud to leave our bags freeing us up, to go out and explore the sea front, without the stress of lugging our bags around. Few hours later we returned to check in and we was greeted by the ower Debbie and signed us in showed us to our room.

Our room was situated on the ground floor, next to the dining room, we had our own entrance. our room was very spacious, the room boasted a new LCD, tv with free view, tea and coffee facililties,all sized iron and ironing board, ensuite toilet which was very clean, beds where very comfy and we slept well.
Each morning for breakfast we had multiple choice, this included cereals, juice and toast follwed by a cooked english breakfast with tea or coffee. The cooked breakfast had really good quality bacon and sausages( previous guest houses I have stayed at have used poor quality items)

All in all we had a fantstic stay, there were many other guest in the hotel, but was still very tranquil. The staff members were all pleasent and helpfull, I would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends, check inn and out was so easy.

We paid £75 per night and it was well worth it

Room Tip: As for a room near the dining area as the rooms there are really large
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I visited Southend at the weekend with my girlfriend and let her choose and book the hotel. Apparently she's not as clever as she thinks she is as she chose Gleneagles. She's like Gleneagles in that she's not much of a looker and she's usually fairly quiet, however, she is at least clean and up to date with modern technology which is where Gleneagles is lacking.

Upon arrival you look for the phone on the bench and dial "0" and hope that someone answers. For us they answered fairly quickly but I've read in other comments that this isn't always the case. We were led down to the kitchen area to pay immediately before dropping off our bags or seeing the room and were given some excuse like "Debbie says the machine won't be working later and she'll be out when you're checking out". This may or may not be the case - it did take a few goes to get the card reader to work - but I'm convinced that the real reason they ask for payment up front is that nobody would be willing to pay the full price AFTER staying there. Many people would change their mind about staying in the hotel at all after seeing the rooms.

After paying for the stay in full we were shown to our room which was an ok size but looked in desperate need of a clean / refurbish. My flat looks nicer and I've never cleaned my flat. There were some stains on the bedsheet and I'm fairly sure the whole room would glow if sprayed with luminol by CSI.

Whilst being careful not to knock the TV off its stand (a pile of menus) I called reception to ask how to access their WIFI and was told that I couldn't becasue Debbie wasn't there and she turns it off when she goes out. Not knowing when Debbie would be back we gave up on trying to use the internet. I suspect this is also a strategy to stop people from searching for alternate hotels from their rooms or sending angry emails to whoever booked the hotel for them.

On the plus side the shower was ok and the bed was comfortable.

On the down side some fairly major renovation is required and their WIFI system should be changed. They won't be getting any Michelin stars for their Tesco Value breakfast. The carpets feel tired and dirty and the doors and wndows are flimsy. The once grand building feels to have been furnished and maintained a bit too far on the cheap side even for my liking and I'm very cheap. You get the feeling that they've had a lot of problems with guests demanding refunds or refusing to pay as they try to get your money before you've had the chance to see what the place is really like. Finally, you shouldn't count on being able to use the car park. They only have 2 spaces and these were both gone for the whole weekend before we arrived at 12 noon on the Friday. 9 quid to park on the street for the day or 50 quid fine if you take too long offloading your bags into the hotel.

I wouldn't go back and would only recommend it to someone who had wronged me. Gleneagles? Glenpigeons more like!

Room Tip: The seaview rooms don't have a view of the sea. For the best rooms try a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gleneagles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!