“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tgi Fridays

Tgi Fridays
Lakeside Autopark | Lakeside Autopark, West Thurrock, Grays Thurrock RM20 3WE, England
0844 692 0255
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Kent
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Over priced and noisy. Big amounts of food, ok service. Easy parking. Nothing special, would not rush back

Visited June 2012

London, England
“Nice meal, pitty about the timings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The food itself was really nice and the waitress was friendly and polite. However, there was a long delay for the starters coming out and the a prolonged amount of time for the main course coming. Without asking they refunded the price of the starter and apologised which makes a nice change

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“On a roll....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'd been to TGI's in Birmingham at the weekend with my family and had an excellent experience. On this occasion a business partner an I were returning from a meeting in Sussex and needed something to eat and quickly. We were passing Lakeside and decided to look around there for a reasonable place.

TGIs stood out! Like myself at the weekend my colleague was a little reticent but I assured him that the food was good. TGIs Thurrock didn't let me down.

The staff were fantastic throughout and service was really good. I chose from the Gluten Free menu and my colleague chose from the two course fixed price menu. The food was tasty and as before, portions were good.

Excellent value for money but......, give the place a makeover please!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Typical American bar & grill joint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed the food but it wasn't cheap. The waiting staff were very friendly, and yes I will go again

Visited December 2012
Writtle, United Kingdom
“TGI Fridays - Thurrock”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Have been here quite a few times over the past few years and never really been that impressed, but went here on a whim a few days before Christmas after a late mid-week shopping trip and was pleasantly surprised, though still had a few low-points.

The first negative was that the maitre'd at the front desk was having quite a lengthy social chat with another women who she seemed to know, and ignored us for quite some time before finally asking us if we'd like a table and sending us to the bar with a buzzer.

We did have to wait a good 45minutes for a table (though we were told only 20mins), which was quite frustrating as there were at least 6/7 empty tables around us at any one time ranging from a 2-seater to a booth. I've been told by a server in another TGI's previously that they place a server in each "area" and dependent on the skills/competence of that server will depend on how many tables they fill in their area. So if the server is relatively new, they will only fill a few tables in their area at any one time to save them from becoming too flustered... I can kinda see the point in this, but rather than leave many tables empty when you have a 45minute wait time and upto 10 tables waiting to be seated, surely it would be easier to use up the free space and get another more competent server to assist in an overflow area? It would certainly boost the moral of people waiting, and make them more inclined to come back again? I suppose though, if you have people waiting at the bar for 45 minutes the theory is that they will buy quite a few cocktails?

Talking of the bar, the barman was good, and obviously knew his drinks very well and a few juggling tricks along the way, it's a shame that he spent so much time trying to throw the glasses around and show off rather than paying attention to the punters, as we had to make a scene of waving and leaning over the very high bar just to get his attention.

Anyone else noticed just how LOUD it is in here? I know that they generally like to have their music up louder than most other places, but I could barely hear myself speak, and found myself shouting just to keep up a conversation with my partner. I also didn't hear the buzzer going off which we'd placed on the bar, luckily I happened to look down and the flashing caught my eye instead, it was only when I picked it up that I noticed it was buzzing away as well and we hadn't even heard it.

On a good note, the server we had was wonderful (Johnny), he was very polite and attentive, and kept catching up with us to let us know the food was on its way, or to make sure everything was OK - not in the annoying way that some servers do when they always seem to catch you with a mouthful asking "is everything OK?" just as their passing by when it's obvious they don't really care... He really did seem to care, and watching him go by he was this attentive with every table he had, no matter how big or small the party, and even remembered our drinks and condiments order that he'd mentally taken down from us right before a rather large party behind us (literally) grabbed him and kept him there asking questions about the food for about ten minutes! We were really impressed with him, and it made us want to give the place another shot in the future. We also liked the fact that he didn't make it obvious he had received a tip from us, I'd seen other servers accept a tip from customers and look at it to see how much it was, before stuffing it into their pockets; he however thanked us and bode us a good evening before walking to the back of the room with the tip still hidden under a tray, and slid it straight into what looked like a pencil-case without even looking - in fact he was still looking back over his tables back in the seating area as he did it, and wished us a good evening again as we walked out! A different story for the other servers we saw who just seemed bored and uninterested in their customers, they could really learn something from that guy.

The food was really good, well cooked and full of flavour, no complaints there. Much better than it has been on previous visits.

Overall a good evening, the server was brilliant and made up for the other staff's lack of enthusiasm, but in my opinion the wait and the noise pollution really does put a downer on the place.

• Visited December 2012