“Quick, friendly service, and tasty food...” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, International, Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
Chelmsford
“Quick, friendly service, and tasty food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Popped in here for lunch and was impressed by the friendliness of the staff, the speed of the service, and the overall quality of the food; I had the chicken schnitzel which was very good, partner a plain burger, delivered just as requested, and my 22-month old daughter had popcorn chicken with chips and peas, both reporting the same.

Food arrived very promptly, and we were checked on several times during our meal.

I'm beginning to see that in my own experience, Giraffe are beginning to stand out above the other chain "theme" restaurants and this branch in Lakeside is also worth a visit.

Partner recommends the "Sunshine Coast Iced Tea" in particular.

Baby-changing facilitates were also fine.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Better than most of the alternatives at Lakeside!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

When eating at Lakeside it is hard to find somewhere that is not hideously noisy, has good service and food with reasonable prices and is not overcrowded.

Giraffe manages to tick all these boxes and this was our third visit. Food is freshly prepared, good quality and reasonably priced. Service is good (but note that there is a 10% service charge added to the bill - I don't like this as I much prefer to give the tip directly to the member of staff concerned)

Worth a stop for lunch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
london
“Foreign sharpe plastic object in the tabullah salad (comes with Grill Chicken)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've always go to the Giraffe at Spitalfield market for lunch and this is the first time that my friend has heard of Giraffe so we thought to try it for dinner today.

We both order the £9.95 starter + main deal and lemonade with mint. The drink was really refreshing and tasty so no compliant there.

The starters that we choose was deep fried whitebait and the grilled chicken wings - both are very tasty and we really enjoyed our food.

The main were Grilled Chicken with tabullah salad and the pork katsu with noodles - both are very tasty. However, as I was half way through my chicken and about only to start on my tabullah - to my shock and horror, something does not feel right in my mouth and is poking at me... so I've took it out of my mouth and only to find it was a piece of a sharp plastic object that looks like the cornor of the container that one of the salad has came from. Imagine what would happen if I would have swallow this with the food in my mouth?????!!!! It was about half inch long and 1 cm wide. My friend immediately called the waitress over and asked why there is a piece of the foreign object in my food. The poor waitress who has been quite attentive to us up to that point was quite shock as well and she said that she can either replace my food or get her manager to speak to us. We both thought to speak to the manager but it seems like that it was not important at all to the restaurant manager on duty today as it took her at least about 5-10 min to come out once the waitress has taken the plate with the foreign object with her to the back and she has to come back and apologies for the manager not yet shown.

Given that it is a Saturday and we have such a good day out, we did not want to make a scene but to think back, the manager does make us feel like that she might as well not to come out at all cause it took her that much time to come and take control of the situation and also when she did come out, she was more interested in getting me to fill in a form so that she could report the foreign object and her apology was to offer a dessert to us... when 1) I did not even get to finish my main + 2) we were pretty put off by then. She then insulted us even more with her casual attitude of offering to take out the price of the grilled chicken which was about £7 out of my £9.95 deal.

I found the attitude of this manger pretty insulting as the apology she gave does not feel sincere to us at all and that she is refusing to admit that they have served a piece of plastic along with their food. We will never go back to this particular Giraffe again and I would highly recommended anyone who is considering to try this place be aware of what is in your food as you will be treated not in a very nice humanly possible way if you come across this particular manager.

I found it hard to rate on service category because the lady who served us done a great job and she was really sympathetic + apologetic with what was served on our plate. However, I would only give 0/1 star to the manager for late in deal with a complaint make by external customer while there are another table just came in next to us and when she does come out she has a great ability in treating us like there is nothing wrong and we were just there to fill in the report form (I am not even sure what it does).

Food was very good so I would give it around 4 stars, however to find the foreign object in there will make it 0 from health and safe perspective. I will leave it to you to be the best judge if you go and try it one day.

Essex, England
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stopped off here for a little bit of lunch, just enough to keep hunger at bay but there just didn't seem to be a huge amount of choice. In the end three of the group had two sharer plates of a bread type dish and nachos whereas I had the Mac'n'Cheese or whatever it was called, but if you think it's along the lines of macaroni cheese, you'll be disappointed! It's pasta in what I assume is a little bit of oil, some butternut squash cubes and then a little bit of grated cheese on top, not a cheese sauce.
The service was ok, but some of the staff appeared to be a bit annoyed with some of the others for chatting, we had to ask for sugar/teaspoon with pot of tea and it wasn't apparent where you had to go, if anywhere, to pay. It was ok, but could've been better. Wouldn't be bothered about going back there again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Wow what service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Spent a leisurely Saturday having lunch at Giraffe overlooking the lake. The staff were excellent from the moment we arrived - even the bar staff helped out with a recommendation of the Duck Stir Fry which was wonderful. Our waiter was very attentive throughout - the food was all excellent and quickly served. Reasonable prices. Will definitely go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere