“Good Traditional Pub nice food , decent beer” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Braintree, Massachusetts
“Good Traditional Pub nice food , decent beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A nice busy pub and a good change from the Hoop or Bear, Food is not quite as good as Bear but is nice and a bit more traditional good quality food, beer is better than bear but not quite the choice of the Hoop, has a very nice atmosphere and was nice to sit outside watching the world go by until it got a bit chilly.
It is ideal for families and was busy on the Tuesday evening with locals so must be a good sign.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Great food, poor service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were a large party who all ordered different dishes. The food was excellent and very well presented; unfortunately, the service wasn't particularly good.

Visited January 2013
“Busy village pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Called here on the off chance with walking group for lunch, quick efficient service, good food especially the mussels. Will certainly be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
essex
“Will not visit again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

After reading many good reviews we decided to eat here. I had scampi and chips. Scampi tasteless and chips cooked in oil that obviously needed changing!! Grumpy service!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Can't Wait to Go Back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We hadn't intended to eat here but our original choice of pub (now forgotten) had no space in the car park so we drove on and found the Bakers Arms. My husband and I were taking his two elderly aunts out for lunch, one is partially sighted, so we needed a table next to a window with plenty of light. The staff were happy to let me walk round and chose the right spot.

This is not the cheapest of places to eat but the food was absolutely scrumptious! The only person to have a starter was my husband who had smoked salmon with a cream cheese, lemon and dill terrine. For the main course, both aunts had seabass fillets which they said were delicious and they HAD been completely boned which was really important for the aunt who can't see what's she's eating. I had chicken wrapped in bacon in a white white, mushroom and cream sauce all set on a little bed of crushed potatoes. The chicken was perfectly cooked and the sauce was lovely, a real homemade sauce and not from a jar! (I can tell the difference!).It was so nice, I forced myself to eat it all even though there was a little too much! Eyes bigger than stomach! My husband had dover sole which was one of the specials of the day and he rated it very highly. A nice selection of fresh vegetables was provided. One aunt had ice cream, not a very good choice of flavours, the usual vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. I had a dessert (managed to force one down!) but i can't now think what it was but it was good!

The only disappointment was the coffee which was really not good. I had a floater coffee and two members of the party had ordinary white coffees and they were all fairly nasty although I didn't realise we all thought the same until we got outside. I think maybe because we were the last diners to leave, the coffee had either been kept hot or re-heated.

The bill, no wine, some soft drinks and a beer, came to just over £100. Staff were pleasant and attentive.

We will definltely be going back, I didn't want anything else to eat until the next day!

• Visited March 2013