“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Southend

You added Holiday Inn Southend to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Southend
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   77 Eastwoodbury Crescent, Southend-on-Sea SS2 6XG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed for two Nights. Very clean and nice room. Staff were professional, friendly and polite without going over the top. Restaurant views of airport were great.

Breakfast was really good and again staff friendly and attentive.

2 small niggles and probably down to personal preference, but the food menu was a bit boring and the choice of draught lager limited.

Overall great experience and will definitely book again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
StevenJBrazil, Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Ray S,

Thank you for your 5 star review in regards to your recent stay. Team at Holiday inn really appreciates your lovely comments. We strive to be the best hotel in the area.
By the sound of it, it seems like we have not offered all the menus to you as we have a very decent selection and scrumptious dishes on our menu. Hopefully we will offer you all the menus on your next visit.

Rohit Singh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Following the positive reviews on this site, my family and I decided to eat at the 1935 restaurant this afternoon. However, I was very disappointed and the only redeeming feature was the view over the concourse.
We ordered bar food as the restaurant was closed but found the staff and one barman in particular rude, inefficient and unfriendly. Upon entering the premises I ordered some drinks at the bar from a very miserable looking barman who not only had a permanent scowl on his face but had to be reminded of the basic please!
Although the bar area was very quiet with only two other patrons in we waited over 30 minutes for our food to arrive and when it did this barman did not seem to know what the order he had taken even was. I asked for blue cheese sauce in my burger and when I discovered this was lacking I questioned the barman and was haughtily told "Well this is what the chef gave me", omitting any responsibility whatsoever. After pushing he begrudging offered to bring some out but then proceeded to take my entire meal away. I protested and suggested that it would be a far better to leave the burger with me and bring the sauce out separately. Instead of a well deserved apology for this oversight he grunted and then came back with a few crumbs of cheese. The food itself was satisfactory but by no means delighted me. I also found it ridiculous that my niece's child's burger was exactly the same as the adults.
Overall, I was very disappointed with the experience and the barman's poor attitude and lack of any warmth or customer service skills. The only positive was as I mentioned - the view

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear JamesKateley,

Thank you for eating at 1935 rooftop bar in Southend.

I was really pleased to read that you have enjoyed our stunning view. What sadness me deeply is a comment regarding the helpfulness of the Bar staff. Your valued observations will help us to improve our future guests being inconvenienced in a similar way.

I am pleased to inform you that we have taken appropriate action towards the member of the team. I have also spoken to our chef in regards to the portion size of the kid’s burger.
Unfortunately your experience wasn't our usual high standard and rest assured we have noted your comments to help the team improve for future guests and trust that this experience would not deter you from visiting again in the future. I am looking forward to welcome you back at our property.

Rohit Singh
Chennai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stay here to take the next days flight to poland. The hotel seems new and clean. The rooms are spacious. I should thank thr hotel for checking in us at 12 pm itself instead of 14.00. Thats a goodwill gesture og providing a good customer satisfaction. The staff were very polite. There is a mc Donalds just outside the hotel which was helpful and there are a number of hypermarkets behind the hotel which wr found to be very very cheap compared to london. Its so close to the airport that you can just pull the trolley to the hotel and leave it there and even during checkout you have trolleys at the hotel tat u can use and leave it at the airport. Tat was very helpful.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. We are delighted with your comments regarding our polite staff, clean and spacious room. We are also thrilled with your 5 star rating of us. We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The Hotel is very clean and the staff on Reception and in the Breakfast room were excellent very friendly and helpful nothing seemed too much trouble and this is how it should be. My only grip was the size of what I believe was a biscuit. There was two of us in the room but both mornings of our stay we only got one of these mouthfuls to share. If you are going to provide biscuits do provide proper size biscuits and enough for each guest in the room. Such a shame to be let down by such a small thing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. I am delighted you thought the hotel very clean and the staff in both reception and restaurant was excellent. I am sorry there was only one biscuit in the room to share; there should have been one each. Holiday Inn does not require us to put a biscuit in the room but we have found that our guests do like to have a biscuit and we choose to put in a quality biscuit form Lavazza. We look forward to you visiting again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I really enjoyed my one week stay in this hotel. It goes way beyond the generic experience of this well known franchises, which are great because you know exactly what to expect in them anywhere in the world, but they surely go an extra mile for you. Hotel personnel are great, the restaurant is great, with a view of the airport, the food was great (and we chose to have dinner there everyday).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your recent one week stay. I am thrilled you believe that we delivered way beyond the generic franchise experience and that not just a great hotel and food but staff that go the extra mile. We look forward to you visiting again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I arrived frazzled and exhausted after an 18 hour day. Had forgotten to print my boarding card. No problem said the man at reception email it and we will print it.
Dumped bags in room and went to dining room. In spite of the late hour I was welcomed and served by two charming ladies. Service was terrific. I expected the food to be grunge. In fact it was Masterchef. Lovely seared salmon on asparagus bed! By this time my boarding pass was waiting at reception.
In the morning a four minute stroll to the airport and I was on the plane thirty minutes later. I genuinely look forward to going back to this surprising find.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay. We are delighted you found the staff lovely and despite your late arrival the restaurant food to be Masterchef and the service terrific. We look forward to you visiting again.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights from 6th June 2014. The service in the restaurant particularly that provided by Sam was excellent. The view overlooking the runway was outstanding especially in the sunshine. The whole staff attention to detail and customer care was of a high standard and we will be sure to return.

Room Tip: Being tall people I think we will ask for twin beds in future and if you have mobility problems walk...