“Nice Stay ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Southend

You added Holiday Inn Southend to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Southend
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   77 Eastwoodbury Crescent, Southend-on-Sea SS2 6XG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Stay ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We arrived late as we have an early flight next morning it was a very pleasant stay the Southend airport is very close so we decided I stay there overnight as the airport is closed after 12
The room was big and very clean I'm very fussy with toilet but this one was nice and clean
The service was really good it has a nice view as well so we had a really good night
We highly recommended :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay and appreciate the 5 star rating. Thank you for sharing the comments about your room and how clean it was and the good service. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Jersey Ci
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Good points were that the hotel is ideally situated for airport and railway station although would end up getting soaked if rained.
Check in staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful
Was good value for money.

Rooms were however somewhat soulless but were functional and had everything we needed including a period of free wi-fi.
Would avoid room service - expensive and took a long time considering hotel looked comparatively empty. Portion of chips was extremely small and club sandwich was almost cold.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review from your recent stay. We were delighted with your comment regarding the staff being friendly and helpful. I am sorry to learn you thought the rooms were soulless and that the room service portion of chips was small with the club sandwich almost cold.
I do hope that this experience would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I will have to split this review into two, part one for the hotel and the second part for the restaurant.

The hotel itself was generally good. A friendly front desk receptionist upon checkin (though the night manager was rather grumpy!), a very comfy bed and a nice spacious room. There was a leak in the bathroom that we had to mop up, but that was no more than a mild inconvenience.

The restaurant let the hotel down badly. Average food at expensive prices, and friendly but poor service. Items were forgotten, but more importantly there was a serious wait for drinks and mains. I never normally mind a bit of a wait, but it got to the point that we had to chase for our drinks twice before they appeared.
I personally had the Sirloin Steak which I was underwhelmed with and the prawn starter was one of the worst I've had in a long time. Absolutely no flavour whatsoever with greasy batter. It feels like they're trying too hard in order to justify the price tag, and letting basic standards slip in doing so.
I've certainly had much better food for far less money before.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We are delighted you thought the rooms were spacious and had comfy beds. We are sorry to learn that you thought the restaurant let the hotel down. We have a new head chef who started in August and new menus from October and almost all comment have been very positive recently. Mickey the head chef appreciates the feedback and will monitor the quality of the prawns and steaks. Our steaks are purchased from a local supplier and matured longer than most large chain suppliers and usually receive positive comments. I apologise for the wait and having to ask about drink service - you should never have to ask twice.

I do hope that you do try 1935 Rooftop Restaurant and Bar should you stay again in the future, so we might change your mind about our standard of food and service.

ashby de la zouch
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel is very modern and sylish, visually pleasant the executive room is 5 star this was my second stay and as before the food let it down, £14.00 for a pre-cooked breakfast which was barely warm and cold by the time I finished, bacon like cardboard and £5.00 to park the car overnight is not what I expect from a Holiday Inn
The staff were great, helpful and curtious, would stay again but eat out

Room Tip: The fourth floor overlooking the Airport [even room numbers]
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving comments regarding your recent stay. Thank you for the great feedback regarding our executive room and that you think it is 5 star. I am disappointed to learn that you were not happy with breakfast. We have worked hard over the last 3 months to improve this service and recently have had many positive comments on breakfast. I am sorry that your breakfast was cold by the time you had finished and we will work on our consistency.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my company for a Christmas party and was extremely pleasantly surprised by the excellent staff knowledge. When I first approached the bar a member of your team, Sam Carter, gave advice and showed clear knowledge of the alcohol selection, and even let my partner taste the beer before he then purchased a pint. Later in the evening he have extra help with the decision making on the wine, as well as chatting along the way giving helpful tips. He demonstrated customer service above and beyond. All staff that evening were appropriately friendly, and the reception staff have help on finding a cash point with great directions. Would definitely advise to a friend.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for leaving a review regarding your recent Christmas party. We are delighted that you found our staff to be very helpful, knowledgeable and service that was above and beyond. Thank you for your 5 star rating. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife, toddler son and I stayed on a Friday night. The hotel is very new and clean, and situated right next to Southend airport, overlooking the runway, Despite this proximity, you can't hear the slightest aircraft sound, so don't worry about being disturbed. The room itself was very clean, nice bed, flat screen TV, nice bathroom with shower and bath. The restaurant, however, while it served excellent food, was a let down, because of the service. When we arrived we weren't acknowledged for a couple of minutes, as the staff members right in front of us were arguing over some issue with the till. They then did apologise, told us they'd be right with us, then left us standing there for another couple of minutes. When we asked for a seat near the window in the pretty much empty restaurant, we were told we were being seated elsewhere - no reason given. Fine, I'll take that out of your tip, then. Food was excellent, but we did ask that the bread and oils be delivered at the same time as the main courses. "It usually comes out a bit quicker" we were told. Well, how hard can it be to schedule it to come out when I actually ask instead?
Apart from that, we did have a good visit. Got a great night's sleep in the room, the breakfast buffet next morning was delicious for a change - usually in these sorts of places it's lukewarm and tasteless, but this time the hot food was actually hot, and the sausages tasted like they had real meat in them, instead of the unmentionable substances you usually get. Staff at check-out were very helpful, recommending things to see in Southend, and where to park. I'd stay again if in the area, but might go out to a restaurant that knows how to serve customers instead of eating here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
StevenJBrazil, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay. We are delighted you thought the food excellent and you had a great nights sleep. I apologise for the delay in seating and receiving your bread basket.

I am sorry that you were not given an explanation of why you were not seated in the window despite the restaurant being nearly empty. The tables in the window are usually reserved by diners well in advance and kept free for bookings due in later on that evening.

We really appreciate your kind comments about our breakfast and the helpful staff. We hope you visit again in the future

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The hotel is bright, clean and has a good breakfast room and bar. The room we stayed in was an executive one, which was a reasonable size and a good view of the airport through the soundproof glass. The breakfast buffet was excellent.HOWEVER this all counts for nothing when they can't deliver on the absolute basics. I booked a twin room for myself and my teenage daughter well in advance. On arrival I was greeted with the news that there were no twin rooms available. All gone. I was obviously not happy, this was compounded by the fact that they had no 'put me ups' left either. I was offered an upgrade to an executive double room, which was fine for my daughter, but not much use for me as sleeping on the floor of an executive room is probably much the same as sleeping on a standard room floor. Apart from the fact that their computer booking or in-house system isn't good enough to allow them to over book twin rooms, I am very disappointed with their customer service. The only action that they have take since is to remove my review from their own website. No sign of an apology. Still they've had my money so that's fine I suppose. Except I shan't be staying in a Holiday Inn again any time soon. Pity because it was actually quite a nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave feedback from your stay in November. I would like to apologise for the overbooking of twin rooms on this occasion. We would as a matter of policy overbook due to the volumes of cancellations and no shows that we receive, unfortunately on this occasion all rooms did show and we were not able to fulfil our obligation. We will be in touch shortly to resolve your complaint.

Steve

Been to Holiday Inn Southend? Share your experiences!