“A lovely old Coaching Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Saracens Head Hotel

You added The Saracens Head Hotel to your Saves list
The Saracens Head Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High Street, Great Dunmow CM6 1AG, England (Formerly Saracens Head Hotel Great Dunmow)   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Great Dunmow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Home Counties UK
“A lovely old Coaching Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The Saracens Head has been at the centre of community life in Great Dunmow, of Dunmow Flitch fame, for centuries. It has recently been refurbished and very well done too. The old world charm is still there but with a modern stylish touch. Comfortable and enjoyable.
We all know that the pre-Christmas period is the busiest that restaurants experience so we venture forth with fingers crossed. Sadly for me when visiting the restaurant for a traditional
turkey dinner last Friday evening the kitchen must have been under the most severe pressure
of all. I say this because whilst my starter was an excellent soup, and whilst the turkey itself was delicious, sadly the accompanying batter pudding (with turkey?) was
dry, 'tough' and tasteless. Now I know that vegetables should not be over cooked, but there is a difference between a light steaming, or blanching, and food that is hard on the fork let alone in the mouth. So there we have it. The courteous and friendly staff were concerned at my
dilemma. My pudding was as delightful as the soup, but unsurprisingly, I remained hungry
after completing the three courses. A discreet request for some cheese and biscuits quickly brought forth a delicious selection of both and my appetite was quelled. Perhaps this is bound to happen at this time of year for a variety of reasons. But ignoring the possibility of staff sickness,
what was obvious was that there were at least four very large parties of diners in the Hotel that evening. Was this too much for the resources of the kitchen? I do not know. I do know however, that as the cost of eating out has risen tremendously over recent years, that restaurants that fail to provide nothing less that excellent food will struggle to compete with
those that do.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I were put up in this hotel [developers] while awaiting building work completion. It was a real gem of a visit. The staff were warm and very friendly.
Sitting by the log fire drinking Guinness was a perfect start to some great eating in the Hotel that week.
Recommend : Anything but especially the roast beef [sunday] or the burger [I was full].
All the staff had a smile and it was a joy to see, well done for making this a 5 star experience

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
cozypubs1, Owner at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your very kind comments.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed on the Saturday and Sunday night, great little town with sweet boutiques. Had a meal in the hotel on the Saturday night which was great, I would recommend the sharing plates to start then I had the fish and chips which was gorgeous. Also they do the most amazing cocktails. The bar has a real buzzy atmosphere great for people watching. Also they have a great gym with all the latest equipment and fab trainers.

Room Tip: We had suite which had a separate lounge area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Arrived at the hotel with my family to have a dinner and a few drinks before hand. Walked into the bar to find the bartending staff to be drunk. We watched as they took shots of alcohol with the guests and leared over the bar like animals. Upon approaching the bar a gentleman went to take my order although he seemed to be looked straight through me as aposed to at me. I ordered our drinks which surprise surprise were wrong, he then took a large glug of one of them and said to me 'waste not want not'. i shook my head in disgust. Walked into the restaturant to find a waitress too busy staring in the mirror to deal with me and my family. In the end decided to walk out and no have dinner here. Wouldnt suggest or reccomend this place to anyone. Utterly disgusted.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
cozypubs1, Owner at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments.
I would very much like you to contact me on my email tjd@cozypubs.co.uk
so we may look into this situation immediately.

We take a very serious view to this and clearly we will investigate it.

Tim.
essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

A local restaurant that has recently been renovated. Great bar area with good atmosphere. Our first meal in the restaurant the first week of opening was disappointing. We ordered lobster as a treat is was the size of a large prawn. Very disappointing. But had a nice lunch in the bar area recently which was good value. Better value and food at two other nearby places.

• Stayed November 2012
pompey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed for two nights on business, helpful friendly staff, comfortable rooms, breakfast was very good, evening meals were good but a little expensive maybe. Good location, not too far fro airport or motorway. I would definitely consider staying here again.
Many thanks.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

After visiting Great Dunmow for business on many occasions now, this was my first stay at The Saracens Head. Having quite recently changed ownership the difference is easy to see, having visited the pub previously. The check in area is quite small and can be crowded during check in/out times. The staff though, are very friendly. The rooms are quite average but very clean with comfortable beds. Breakfast is made with quality produce and the full english was my choice on both mornings! I ate at the hotel on one night and the food was quite nice and they had local beers on tap. I can't remember the cost as I didn't pay but after seeing other reviews mentioning the poor portion sizes, I have to disagree. I will be visiting the area again soon and this will be my choice of hotel. I suppose when I visit next that the new gym that was being built next door will be completed and add something extra to this hotel but hopefully not price.

Room Tip: My rooms 6 and 7 were on the car park and I was woken early by builders arriving and guests leaving...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Saracens Head Hotel? Share your experiences!