“Nice place to stay on business” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pontlands Park

Save Saved
You added Pontlands Park to your Saves list
Pontlands Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Hanningfield Road, Great Baddow, Chelmsford CM2 8HR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Baddow
“Nice place to stay on business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I regularly stay at this hotel for work and am greeted with the same friendly service upon check-in each time.

Having stayed in a number of rooms I have noticed that some have been updated and some have not. The more modern rooms are very luxurious with tall headboards, thick blackout curtains and a wooden floor at the entrance which leads onto carpet.

The rooms which have not been updated could do with updating to match the posh rooms! (In the non-updated rooms the curtains are much thinner, the decor is slightly outdated, there are sliding locks rather than twist locks and there are some cracks in the walls). I would not recommend the rooms directly above reception (26-28) as you can hear conversations from the check-in desk below. When I stayed in one of these rooms I was also unable to fully shut the windows, even with the help of the lady from the check-in desk, because the windows were so old, leaving a draft coming in through the gap at the bottom. The clock from the tv in all rooms is also quite bright during the night.

Having said that, all rooms are a very good size and the food and customer service at this hotel is good - the reason why this is my hotel of choice in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I'm pleased you like the hotel, its facilities and the warm welcome from the team.
With regards to the bedrooms, we have so far refurbished the top four grades of bedrooms and the only ones still to be done are the entry level executive rooms, these will be done, at some point during 2014 as the final phase of the £1.5million refurbishment we have undertaken throughout the hotel over the past couple of years.
I will have someone look into the issue with the window you have mentioned, if it hasn't already been rectified.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed for a Saturday night in December 2013.
Found the hotel to be very warm and inviting.
All the public areas we visited were clean, modern and well maintained.
The bedroom was huge with a pleasant dressing area, sofa, bed and lovely big bathroom.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Stayed in a very spacious modern room that clearly had been renovated and well maintained
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased you liked the hotel and the recent extensive refurbishments.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area again.

Northwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

i stayed here on 11/11/13 and the hotel was brilliant, i had a ground floor room which was round the corner from reception. The room was huge and had a sofa to sit on to watch TV. The room was clean and tidy you wouldnt need anymore. I had dinner in the hotel and the service was excellent, I had the steak burger (Highly recommend).For the quality of the hotel the price was excellent as well, If i am ever in the area with work again i will be looking to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us.
When we refurbished the rooms last year we worked hard to ensure they were functional and comfortable and I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit and dinner.

We look forward to welcoming you when you are in the area again

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed for a week recently whilst working close by. The hotel is very close to main arterial routes to and from London and very close to chelmsford for the train station as well, without having any noise from roads etc...

The staff are all very friendly and courteous and nothing is a problem for them.

Facilities are great with good pools and gym. The restaurant serves great food at reasonable prices but is very rich if eating there everyday.

I had a large room that had recently been renovated and it was well appointed and very comfortable. My only niggle was that I couldn't get a wifi signal on my phone, iPad or laptop in the room which was a bit of a nuisance but not necessarily a deal breaker for me.

I would stay again if I was required to be in the area again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and the facilities we offer. We recently upgraded the wifi system throughout the hotel, a service we offer without charge, and I will ensure that this area is rechecked as it should work in all rooms.

We look forward to you returning when you are in the area again

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My Partner and i have recently stayed at Pontlands Park and i can honestly say, it was a perfect night away! Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by the hotel's staff of which were all charming. Our room was beautiful and extremely spacious, it housed an enormous bed where i could of lazed in all morning! The bathroom was modern, clean and like the rest of our room, had been finished to a very high standard. In the evening we spent time relaxing in the hotels bar and had a dinner in the restaurant, the food was delicious with ample portions and even though there was a wedding being held that day we never felt like we were intruding and again were welcomed by the restaurant/bar staff. There was one barman in particular who was so lovely.. i blamed him for my horrendous hangover!! (it was a great night though and completely worth it!) The hotels ground are elegant and perfectly manicured, i cant wait to re visit next summer and take full advantage of the outdoor pool and hot tub as it was unfortunately raining when we visited so that my excuse to come back!!
i could not recommend this hotel highly enough, treat yourself to a night away and see for yourself. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Our room over looked the gardens with a beautiful country view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Pontlands Park.
I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and liked the newly refurbished bedrooms and restaurant.

I will make sure your comments are passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again where you can make full use our outdoor spa facilities on a sunny day.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

After being away for a few weeks on my return my boyfriend had booked this hotel as a little suprise so we could spend sometime togther.

It was a really lovely suprise, the hotel staff were really friendly. We ate in the restaurant, filet steak and chips which was lush.
The room was very large and the style was contemporary. Nice big bathroom and shower. We found it very clean.

The only thing we would criticise is that there wasn't any bottled water in the room. We'd had a few glasses of wine with dinner and once we'd returned to our room and during the night we were thirsy.

Our room had kettle and tea/coffee/hot chocolate so we were able to have tea in the morning. Oh and some lovely little biscuits.
We didn't stay for breakfast as we both work outside of Essex so couldn't comment on that. But my boyfriend was hungry and did make a comment to me (whilst we were checking out) about this. The lady (I belive she was the manager) who checked us out said he could grab some pastries as we left. It was a really nice touch as we were leaving and both would of had long journeys with empty tummys.

All in all we'd give this a big thumbs up :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 54 it was very large big thumbs up
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Pontlands Park.
I will make sure your comments are passed on to the team, it's always good to hear they have done that little bit extra to help a customer.
We will take on board your comments about the bottled water and may consider it as an addition in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a gem of an hotel. We are so pleased to have found such a delightful place to stay when visiting Essex.This was our second stay here and we enjoyed as much if not more than our first, visit earlier in the year. It is evident that the hotel is 'family' run as it has a personal touch not common in larger hotels. It also maintains a high standard of service and customer care. The food is good, the bedrooms large and well presented and the staff are charming and very helpful. Room 47 was very large and opened out onto the delightful gardens. The marquee which is up for most of the summer had just been removed giving uninterrupted views across the garden. I can't praise this hotel highly enough and would not hesitate recommending it as a perfect place to stay in this area. It would be difficult to find a better hotel anywhere in the country, large or small.

Room Tip: The staff are the best people to advise on a room, particularly if there is a wedding or an event on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your review following your stays with us at Pontlands Park.
It is always a pleasure to know that guests are returning and enjoying the high standards and personal service we work hard to achieve.
I will make sure that all of your comments are passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in the area.

Managing Director

Been to Pontlands Park? Share your experiences!