“Happy enough...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horndon
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Happy enough...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

For the price we paid (£41) I am a happy customer. Room was spacious, bed comfy. Can't ask for much more than that really. We stayed on a Saturday. Some noise from other rooms but nothing I didn't expect.

Room Tip: Little Chef next door, as is Halfway House Pub so dining options on the doorstep if you need them.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked 3 rooms here for a family wedding we struck upon a bargain of £50 for 2 nights which you certainly can't grumble about-I was certainly delighted having looked at the prices of other hotels in the area. A few days before we were due to stay I was looking for the postcode for the hotel and found some reviews and was very disappointed by what I had read and was worried about what we might find when we arrived late on the Friday evening. I even searched a few other hotels in the area to see what they had to offer instead the cheapest being £167 for 2 nights (this was out of the question). So we went ahead with our plans to stay and thought we would just out up with it. My parents arrived first and were greeted by a very pleasant member of staff who said anything else they need-extra pillows, extra towels they just had to ask! We had booked a family room and had requested a cot but it wasn't in the room when my parents arrived but again the receptionist said it wasn't a problem and would be in the room within 2hrs (which it was!) the rooms were clean and tidy. the only problem we had was our shower curtain was pretty disgusting but when I spoke to a member of staff about it they simply removed it and replaced it straight away. The hotel does need a little revamp-especially the bathrooms but like i said it was clean, tidy, comfortable and had hot running water-what more can you ask for? The walls weren't paper thin like some hotels (we tested them with my 10mth old daughter crying and my parents in the next room heard nothing! The little chef next door serves up a great breakfast too!
So in conclusion it's a budget hotel you're not paying to stay at the ritz you're not going to get the ritz but we were all certainly more than happy with it and would stay again. I'm glad we didn't change our mind over the hotel and pay and extra £167 to stay somewhere else!
If the bathrooms had a revamp it would be 5stars from me!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst a new boiler was being installed in my house. All I wanted was a cheap bed for 2 nights and this served the purpose. The hotel is tatty but my room was clean. Because of its position on the A127 I would imagine it's more focused on providing rooms for contractors working away from home. It cost £55 per night so I cannot grumble I had 2 good sleeps and a shower which is all I wanted.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

arrived at 12.50am given some excuse about no water in the room and told no room available
they tried to move us to a travelodge that was not acceptable,hence we then had to drive a 100 miles home and another 100 back the next day.They had rang us pm and we confirmed booking but advised we would be late,No problem they said,Disgusting treatment of customers and the second time this year its happened to us.SO BEWARE DOUBLE DEALING, OVERBOOKED.!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these East Horndon hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I foolishly booked this Travelodge without checking it's location. I assumed that by calling itself Brentwood Travelodge, maybe, just maybe there was at least a chance that it was in the town of Brentwood-it isn't. When I mentioned to the receptionist that this was terribly misleading, she just told me that it was "pointless arguing about the name of the hotel!" I disagree, over the course of two days, I was forced to spend £80 in taxi fares just to get there and back a couple of times-not irrelevant to my purse! On a positive note, we got to know the lovely cabbies of Brentwood very well, and they told us that they had heard our story many times before! Many visitors have been caught out by the "Brentwood" title of this hotel, especially visitors expecting a TOWIE experience (not the reason for our visit!) The receptionist was rude, unsympathetic and unhelpful and was more interested in standing outside having a fag , than actually doing her job. Cigarette breath and rotten teeth on reception is not the kind of greeting I expect or appreciate! The receptionist who took over later was much more pleasant! This hotel is absolutely in the middle of nowhere and it is in dire need of an update. I understand that Travelodge are doing this across all their hotels gradually, but this decrepit old place needs it urgently! Our room had no remote for the TV and no kettle, although these were quickly supplied by the "nicer" receptionist, God knows how long Mrs Grumpy wold have kept us waiting! The room itself was OK and the bed was comfy. The net curtains were grubby and torn and the view was of a scruffy, weeded dumping area.The bathroom was shabby and dirty and in urgent need of a refurb! I understand that this hotel is cheap, but it isn't when you add on taxi fares!! Do yourself a massive favour and stay at the Premier Inn, It's right opposite the railway station and looks soo much nicer! I suspect that the reason Travelodge puts the name "Brentwood" in front of the "East Horndon" is a cynical ploy to compete with the sparkly new Premier Inn. This hotel is much nearer to East Horndon than it is to Brentwood and I feel strongly that this is deliberately misleading advertising. I guess that Travelodge are not going to do anything about this all the time that they are making money from suckers like me!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

There appears to be a growing acceptance that cheaper hotels are permitted to provide sub-standard accomodation, just because of the cost, however when you are paying >£55/night for a room only, that is not cheap.
The hotel reception was unwelcoming, the corridors smelt like and antique shop, while I had a TV there was no remote and little more than a shrug when I asked for one (being told to use my finger), windows did not close properly so it was noisy and draughty, very limited hot water.
On the plus side, the kettle worked and bed was comfortable.
MUST DO BETTER - I'll not be using this chain again.

Room Tip: Look at another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a wedding - my booking was made in October for two nights in August.

Upon arrival it was evident that a funfair was going on, however I wasn't bothered at this stage as I expected the hotel to have windows that would reduce the sound. Oh how wrong was I!! I went to reception to be advised that the noise should stop at around 11...11:30 still noisy. I finally managed to get to sleep at around 4:30, however the staff at the pub next door decided that at 6am they would throw the glasses away... As you can imagine this again woke me up!

Also we had booked family rooms, these were located on the first floor with no lift a child 9 guests and a disabled family member the alarm bells should of rang at that stage.

The shower curtain was filthy, there was mould in the bathroom it was literally covered, there was one towel provided in the family rooms which can occupy up to 4 people - and also one mug!, the remote control didn't work, there were no plug sockets near the bed so it meant that any electrical devices had to be charged away from you, the paint work was a joke half of it was a different colour.

Oh I did go to reception to ask about the remote the towel and the mug - they had ran out and basically tough!

I was so terrified I slept with my bag under the other pillow my watch on and my phone in my pocket!

I would never subject anyone to this "hotel" - I understand it is a budget hotel however it is not of any standard to even charge guests a penny!

FYI I was never informed about the fun fair prior to arrival or booking - the receptionist didn't even explain what was going on!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Travelodge Brentwood East Horndon? Share your experiences!