“Best place in clacton for home made food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 132 Restaurants in Clacton-on-Sea
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Hertfordshire
“Best place in clacton for home made food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Been eating here for years best place in town!! Really good value for money does get very busy but very very quick service

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

england
“lovely meal as usual in Daveys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

well had roast dinner and dessert today in our favourite restaurant in clacton. Good home cooking hot fresh,tasty. Nice staff polite friendly and have a laugh used to go here with my nan when i was much younger you cannot beat it.GOOD VALUE GOOD FOOD.

• Visited September 2012
Clacton-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
“Good homecooking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Oh my word Claire-bird. As zoe-yo has already said ,I think you need to pop back to the ritz to eat. We have been using Daveys for many years and have never ever had a bad meal here..... Boil in the bag beef it definitely is not and all vegetables fresh and well cooked. I`m sure that if you had asked nicely, that more gravy would have been brought to you. They even have gravy boats you know! Does it say `Wait to be Seated`?? No. Most of us are quite happy and capable to find our own table. ALL the staff are polite and friendly. And how rude to call people old biddys...... We will carry on supporting our friendly local restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
“great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

in response to claire bird who wrote the previous review; i think she was rude and personal on her review and obviously is just a very fussy person. you cant call people old biddys- totally wrong.
you get what u pay for here and it is great. i suggest the previous woman goes back to eat at the ritz!!!!!

London, United Kingdom
“Work here if you hate the world.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Every time I walked past this place it was packed out. So my family and I decided to give it a try for a nice sunday roast. Well, we walked in the door, no staff were visable, then when someone did appear it was an old lady, with a face as miserable as sin, she silently lead us to a table...then she walked off.... After about 5 minutes another old woman with an even more miserable expression stood at the table with a pen in her hand, not saying a word, but with a 'Well? what do you want?' look. We were very polite and placed our orders, we thought the '3 courses for £10' looked good, so I ordered the soup, a chicken roast, and cheese and biscuits. Well, the soup was ok, no roll or anything...just a small bowl of soup..Ok, Then main course arrived, and the best bit about it was the plain boiled cabbage. The chicken was so overdone I was lucky I still have all my own teeth as I would never had been able to eat it, the potatoes were huge, oliy, hard in the middle, the stuffing was sloppy, tasteless and although I didnt have a yorkshire pudding, I tried some of my husbands which he got with his 'boil in the bag beef', and no, his tastebuds weren't lying, it was like eating a piece of chewy cardboard. Unfortunately it had soaked up the last of my 3 drops of gravy too :( If I thought it couldn't get any worse, I was sooooooooo wrong. The 'waitress' cleared our table after the half empty plates had been sat there for about 20 minutes, then brought over my 'cheese and biscuits'......well it was 3 cream crackers and 2 slices of cheap, rubbery cheddar....that was it! I looked at the plate, then looked at my husband, who just laughed. I was quite insulted so just pushed the plate away from me. After another 20 minutes I then reminded the woman that my sons dessert had still not arrived yet, and she went out to get it, jelly and ice-cream, I have to say it looked nice! During our time there, one of the old biddys had been called out by another customer, she just looked over and shouted out 'What now?'! the poor lady at the table went bright red bless her, she only wanted another drop of gravy...2 just wasnt enough for her. We weren't offered any drinks, and unsuprisingly we didn't give them a tip! £35 for awful food, service, and atmosphere was quite enough!

• Visited August 2012