“Work here if you hate the world.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 132 Restaurants in Clacton-on-Sea
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Work here if you hate the world.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Every time I walked past this place it was packed out. So my family and I decided to give it a try for a nice sunday roast. Well, we walked in the door, no staff were visable, then when someone did appear it was an old lady, with a face as miserable as sin, she silently lead us to a table...then she walked off.... After about 5 minutes another old woman with an even more miserable expression stood at the table with a pen in her hand, not saying a word, but with a 'Well? what do you want?' look. We were very polite and placed our orders, we thought the '3 courses for £10' looked good, so I ordered the soup, a chicken roast, and cheese and biscuits. Well, the soup was ok, no roll or anything...just a small bowl of soup..Ok, Then main course arrived, and the best bit about it was the plain boiled cabbage. The chicken was so overdone I was lucky I still have all my own teeth as I would never had been able to eat it, the potatoes were huge, oliy, hard in the middle, the stuffing was sloppy, tasteless and although I didnt have a yorkshire pudding, I tried some of my husbands which he got with his 'boil in the bag beef', and no, his tastebuds weren't lying, it was like eating a piece of chewy cardboard. Unfortunately it had soaked up the last of my 3 drops of gravy too :( If I thought it couldn't get any worse, I was sooooooooo wrong. The 'waitress' cleared our table after the half empty plates had been sat there for about 20 minutes, then brought over my 'cheese and biscuits'......well it was 3 cream crackers and 2 slices of cheap, rubbery cheddar....that was it! I looked at the plate, then looked at my husband, who just laughed. I was quite insulted so just pushed the plate away from me. After another 20 minutes I then reminded the woman that my sons dessert had still not arrived yet, and she went out to get it, jelly and ice-cream, I have to say it looked nice! During our time there, one of the old biddys had been called out by another customer, she just looked over and shouted out 'What now?'! the poor lady at the table went bright red bless her, she only wanted another drop of gravy...2 just wasnt enough for her. We weren't offered any drinks, and unsuprisingly we didn't give them a tip! £35 for awful food, service, and atmosphere was quite enough!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Used this place upon trip advisor recommendation. It was good basic food, value for money. The place is somewhat small for the amount of people wanting to use it and locals queue up at lunch time mainly elderly. I would recommend it but get there early it is very clean.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
london
“Daveys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were recommended to daveys and went there for breakfast when we first arrived in Clacton, we wasn't disappointed. The only problem was we couldn't get back in for an evening meal as it was always packed solid......... Shame.

Visited July 2012
“Not what we expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We came here due to all the great reviews. Maybe it was just the wrong day, there was no welcome on arriving the staff seemed a bit disjointed to what was going on. When we found a table we waited almost 10 minutes befoe anyone spoke to us. Our waitress an older lady must of forgotten what service is. When we finally got our meals they were OK not brilliant, the Burger bun was over toasted, the burger a little burnt, omelettes were not bad.
Milkshake was well overpriced as was the very small bottle of cider.
In all a very unfriendly dissapointing visit to a restaurant that so many have raved about.
I certainly will not return and would advise others if you want better value with the same quality just us macdonalds down the road, it's about as good as that.
Sorry Daveys but I tell it how I see it, give your staff some customer service training a smile goes a long way :)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Specials, Licenced, Great Prices, Newly Refurbished”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

What else can we add to all the well deserved comments that others have made about Daveys Restaurant. Long term owners and chefs John & Dean, with Bev' (Dean's missus) hosting and all the very experienced and friendly staff make Daveys one of the best places to dine for many miles around! Open from 9.30am to 6pm in summer, closing a bit earlier in Winter, it is a wonderful haven to relax in and enjoy their wide selection of main menu dishes and varying Greek, Indian, Spanish, Italian etc dishes on their specials boards, including very tasty puddings! A glass of wine or a beer or soft drinks & milkshakes are available and after your meal, a latte perhaps! New furniture and refurbished decor too! Our family will continue to call in rehularly as we have done for many years now. It may be of interest to know that Daveys has been in Clacton for decades under earlier ownerships, but in our opinion, the present Daveys has stepped up to the plate (excuse the pun) and become the best Daveys ever! / John & Linda & Family

• Visited June 2012