“A pleasant surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 135 Restaurants in Clacton-on-Sea
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This restaurant only opened in December, we went there on New Years eve and were impressed. Their is no website address on their card, just a phone number 01255 688988
London, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Myself and a few others spent four days in Clacton over the bank holiday, apart from the Regency Cottage Indian restaurant, I have not found many places to eat that I would recommend, however a young lady on a local bus overhearing our discussion on where to eat, recommended Ume, and whilst we were looking at the menu in the window at the Ume another person also recommended it, having eaten there before. Well having been to the overrated Pier cafe/restaurant the night before and receiving an indifferent service from staff who seemed not to bother, and the most watery piece of cod I have ever had in my life, the Ume was a revelation, from the start, clean tidy laid out tables, the attitude of the staff far surpassed the previous nights experience, friendly attentive, offering advice re the menu, and food served was excellent in presentation, taste and proportions, the four of us all felt that it had been good value, so much so that we went back the following evening, and were not disappointed, if you like an Asian menu its well worth a visit.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“fabulous meals at fabulous prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have eaten here several times from the bargain lunch time menu and every time I have been amazed by the food. It is always top quality, delicious and filling. Whilst I always want two courses, I know I will struggle to eat them!!! The service is brilliant too. Such a delight to find this place in amongst the amusements

• Visited July 2013
Walton-on-the-Naze, United Kingdom
“Ume restaurant Clacton On Sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I have visited Ume a few times for lunch on their fixed price menu but this time took two friends with us for an evening meal. The service was better than excellent and they altered the dishes to the way WE wanted them with less or none of this and more of that as required with NO problem at all as staff gave us very informative info on the food with suggestions which was more than helpful. Our friends use Aisian food restaurants quite a lot and told us and the staff at Ume that this was the best aisian food they had ever had, all in all I and my wife agree the only thing I can add is is this summary -if your in Clacton and want a better than five star eatery then this is the one to put on your must visit list.

• Visited July 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Very good food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

If there's something Clacton needs, it's restaurants like Ume. The decor is sleek, modern and clean, if slightly feminine, but gives the first impression of a class outfit.

Foodwise it hits the mark too. Anybody familiar with Wagamama will find familiar choices available, but for me it was the Chinese influences that really stood out. The smoked chicken starter was delicious, a careful balance of sweet, smokey and hot; in close second place, the Kara Age had light, crispy batter and a delicious tangy wasabi mayo - the chicken pieces inside moist, tender and juicy. Nothing frozen here.

Mains were actually not quite as good as the starter, but still superb. Chicken katsu curry was, reassuringly, similar to Wagamama's offering, with perhaps a hint more chilli heat in the sauce. My Ume Combo with Rice was a mixed bag: grilled chicken and roasted duck excelled, the perfectly topped with hoi sin sauce, but I felt the roast pork a little too thin, the fat not rendered down as it would be in a properly slow cooked joint.

No matter. The wine list is basic but at £13 a bottle, an absolute steal. Service was friendly and quick. Give it a go!

Visited July 2013
“Just excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I was here last night and just loved it. It was busy and after dining it was easy to see why. I had a noodle dish with some gyoza. The price was very reasonable. I would go back today if possible!

• Visited June 2013