“Great Value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ocean Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clacton-on-Sea
The Ocean Hotel
You added The Ocean Hotel to your Saves list
5 Marine Parade East, Clacton-on-Sea CO15 1PS, England   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Clacton-on-Sea
London, United Kingdom
“Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Amazing service, lovely rooms, friendly staff, highly recommended. Especially enjoyed the steak night, which was excellent value for money for such very high quality food.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Basildon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Terrible Staff Manager (Tina), Breakfast spot on but staff very poor, I usually stay within Clacton 3 times a year sometimes more never again in The Ocean.

Room Tip: No rooms are quiet due to Bars and Clubs all around.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here at the weekend as we had a party to attened and couldnt get a room anywhere else.
The room itself was not to bad located to the side if the building on the top floor with a view of the sea from the bed however the room was very small for £70 a night although it is on the sea front so maybe that reflects in the price.The windows didnt close properly which meant the noise from the bars across the road was very intrusive and went on untill the small hours. The location itself is ideal just a shame about the very loud toilet systems which were going off all night and screaming kids in the next room. Breakfast was the best bit. Didnt see a member off staff the whole time apart from check in and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mildenhall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed at the Ocean hotel for 2 nights this week, my stay was great. Very clean and comfy. Breakfast was spot on and the staff made me feel welcomed. Exceptional value for money and I would recommend the Ocean to all. Book with confidence. Thanks

• Stayed June 2012
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Upon arrival, we were welcomed warmly. However, upon entering the hotel room, we found the room to be freezing cold and were puzzled to discover there were no toiletries provided.
The bed was comfortable and the refreshment facilities adequate. The level of noise from the locals and music was off putting.
In the morning, we were greeted in a friendly manner and served promptly. Sadly, the breakfast was a let down because my husbands bacon still had some of the wrapping on it!

It put us off returning to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Oceanhotelclacton, Owner at The Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
I have only just discovered the facility to add a reply to reviews, hence the delay in my response.

Many thanks for your feedback, which we obviously take very seriously. Thank you for the positive comments included, and I respond individually to the negative points below:

Heating - all our rooms operate on their own individual heating basis (ie the radiators can be independently controlled within each room). It should have been explained to you at check-in that the room may feel cold upon arrival (as we are never too sure what time guests will arrive), but as soon as you turn the valve at the bottom of the radiator, you can adjust the control to the heat you require for the duration of your stay). My apologies if this did not happen. Part of my ongoing training process of staff will be to ensure that this point is covered upon arrival.

Toiletries – as explained to you at breakfast on Sunday morning, in order to keep room rates at a competitive level, we provide liquid hand soap in the rooms, but do not equip each room with a full range of complimentary toiletries. I am working on in-room directories for next Season, which will include a note that should a guest have forgotten any toiletries, they can obtain travel size items on a complimentary basis from a limited range available at reception.

Noise – due to its central location, the Hotel is amongst other local bars and hotels. Unfortunately, on the night of your stay the Hotel across the road from us had a private function and I understand there was some excessive noise as the party wound-up in the early hours of the morning. Regrettably, sometimes, we are affected by events beyond our control.

Breakfast – my sincere apologies again that your husband had a small piece of paper stuck to the edge of his bacon. As mentioned when we replaced it, this was a tiny piece from the labelling on the bacon packet and both the Chef and myself were mortified that this had happened. We take our Health & Hygiene very seriously and were awarded a 5 star rating in our recent council health inspection.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to The Ocean in the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My new wife and i booked our wedding reception which included a family meal, evening venue hire with buffet and stayed at the hotel too !. The owner Tina helped us every step of the way months ago. We planned every detail and looked forward to the day. We had a brilliant day, food was excellent, service was top notch and Tina`s staff were great too. Not one of our guest complained about anything. We booked several rooms at the hotel too, again they were very nice and the breakfast next day was excellent. Overall for a day which could of been stressfull turned out the best day we could of wished for. Thank you Ocean bar hotel from Paul and Marion.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely comments, which I will pass on to all staff concerned. Glad you had a lovely day and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We chose this B&B for a budget seaside weekend, mainly on the strength of the good reviews on this website. The breakfast was excellent, the staff friendly and eager to please, and the location is very convenient - virtually opposite the pier and just around the corner from Clacton's town centre. The free wifi worked very efficiently, and we enjoyed watching DVDs on the room's TV. The lunch/dinner menu in the restaurant was a bit expensive for our wallet, but there are plenty of more affordable options within easy walking distance. There's a more reasonably priced bar menu, but the bar itself is tiny and only contains bar stools with....err.... bars, rather than tables and chairs. You can see a photo of the bar on their website, if you want to see what I mean.There's an extensive range of outdoor seating as well, but the weather wasn't really warm enough for Al Fresco dining when we were there, not with a brisk autumnal wind to liven up the sunshine.

Once you go to the accommodation it becomes clear why the room rate is just £60 a night for a double, including breakfast. The stairs are steep, the corridors are narrow, and the carpets are worn and stained. Our room (side facing, first floor - partial sea view) was big and airy, with two 3' beds joined together to produce a generous and comfortable king sized double. The duvet and pillows were elderly and cheap, however, and the bed linen had been washed and worn to the point where it was almost transparent. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom, and we were told when shown the room to ask for more any time we wanted - but the towels themselves were small and by the look of it had been washed as many times as the bed linen.

Our room had a metal venetian blind, as mentioned by another reviewer, which lends a rather industrial tone to the decor - and no, it doesn't block the light..... which didn't cause any particular problems for us, because in mid-September it doesn't get light particularly early in the morning, but I can imagine that in June it could be a little annoying. The blind was damaged at the edge, too - not enough to stop it working, but enough to reinforce the slightly down-at-heel tone of the room.

The en suite shower room was more of an issue. I have solved the mystery of the washing machine noise reported in an earlier review - our room didn't have mains plumbing..... instead it had one of those electric machinating toilets that chew everything up into little bits so it can be pumped away through narrow pipes. With accompanying washing machine noises...... and it seemed to trigger off at random intervals through the night, even when we hadn't set a foot near the toilet! The narrow drainage pipes also meant that the water didn't drain very well, so there was a foot bath thing going on as we took our showers, and there was some excited debate about whether the water was going to flood over the top of the shower tray or not. It never did, but it was a close run thing.

So, all in all it was a bit of a mixed bag. Excellent breakfast in a very smart dining room, a lovely positive attitude from the staff, and everything that could be cleaned had been cleaned, upstairs and down. Hopefully the duvets and bed linen will get refreshed for next year, and I'd have no problem taking my own bath towels......but it's going to be more expensive to sort out the plumbing, and I'm not sure I could cope with that bathroom noise/slow flowing drainage again. It may be that we were unlucky with our room, though, and some of the en suites may have more conventional mains drainage.

Room Tip: Ask for an en suite with mains drainage, rather than a machinator.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
As mentioned in my reply to other reviews, I have only just discovered the facility to add a response to reviews, so my apologies for the delay in commenting on your feedback.

Many thanks for your comments, which we obviously take very seriously. Thank you for the positives, and I respond individually to the negative points below:

Seating in the bar – we have, this week, taken delivery of new tables for the bar and restaurant, so now have more table seating available for those who wish to dine in the bar area.

Hotel décor – we have now been running the Hotel for just over 3 years and since that time have had an ongoing renovation programme. Some areas, as you have mentioned, have already been modernised and some are planned for the future (including carpets, curtains etc for the guest rooms) – we will get there eventually, but it all costs money! In the meantime, we carry out regular maintenance checks and endeavour to keep the Hotel to a high level of cleanliness.

Bedding and towels – I am pleased to report that we have also just purchased new pillows for all of the rooms, so these have all now been replaced and we will work our way through replacing any duvets that need changing over the coming months. We do not own the towels, sheets, pillowcases etc – these are all provided and laundered on a contract basis. I am sorry to hear that they were not of the quality you would expect and will take on board with our housekeeping to carry out spot checks of these within the rooms to ensure that I am getting from my contractor the quality that I believe I am paying for!

Plumbing – Saniflow units are located in a few of our bathrooms to assist with the overall plumbing system within the building. Unfortunately, despite notices requesting guests not to do so, sanitary items get flushed down the toilets occasionally causing these machines to block. This would appear to have been the problem with the machine in the room in which you stayed. As a result of you reporting it to me at check-out, that unit was replaced a couple of days later and this issue has now been resolved.

Been to The Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!