“Consistently the best” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 275 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: English, French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: The heart of the restaurant is a magnificent timbered barn. Originally built in 1372 it is listed as being of architectural and historical importance. As you walk in the restaurant the spectacular high ceiling and the gallery overlooking the main dining area creates a wonderful dramatic impression as you enter a world of elegance and fine food.
Essex England
“Consistently the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

OK so we are regulars here and have been for the past 15 or so years. I can honestly say that we have never had a bad meal. Barry and his team always produce top quality well cooked fresh and tasty food in a fine dining environment with a great wine list to compliment the menu. We have eaten here on Saturday evenings, "specials nights" Sunday lunchtimes and have spent at least 2 New Years Eves there as well; every time experiencing nothing but great dining. We have also used Barry and his team to cater for outside events on one occasion they produced the most amazing croquembouche as a centrepiece for our silver wedding celebration. OK so this is not the cheapest restaurant in town, and the menu may not cater for those with a love of steak and chips but for exquisite dining served beautifully in tasteful decor this is the place to go. I have eaten in some of the best " celebrity chef" restaurants around the country and still rate Russells amongst my top restaurant choices.

• Visited November 2013

essex
“first class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I took my husband here for his birthday and I can noestly say it was faultless. The staff are very attentive and friendly but not overbearing, the choice on the food and wine menu was perfect. Our meals were superb and cooked to perfection. A very well earned compliments to the chef and we will definately be going back for more as the choice on the menu left us wanting more.

• Visited October 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Went to Russells last month with a table of 12, great service and staff, food was amazing too. we all had a great night

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Wanted to try somewhere different, glad we did!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I would like to apologise for our northern friend... so embarrassing!

Russells had been recommended to me by a friend so when I was put in charge of arranging last night I thought we should give it a go! Very pleased I made this decision...

Staff were welcoming and very helpful (especially to our gluten free friend). Drinks were great, food was lovely which meant a great time was had by all.

We will be back on the guinea pig night if I get my way :-)

Thankyou for a fantastic evening.

Chelmsford
“Number 1 in Chelmsford”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have been using this restaurant for 23 years and it has never disappointed. Today was special and my wife and I thought Russell’s would be the perfect venue to celebrate our 20th. Wedding Anniversary.
The menu offered a great choice of interesting food. I had a Chicken Caesar Salad to start and the home smoked chicken was first class. My wife had an Onion Tart Tartan which was cooked to perfection. Our main courses were equally delicious and this was all by served a young waiter who knew about the food and was equal to any question that we posed when ordering.
We both had a large glass of wine and mineral water to drink. I was therefore pleasantly surprised that I had change from £50, which included a 10% service charge. My only complaint is that I have not been using this restaurant often enough. I will have to change my habits!