“This place was not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Oakland Hotel Ltd

You added The Oakland Hotel Ltd to your Saves list
The Oakland Hotel Ltd
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   2-6 Reeves Way | South Woodham Ferrers, Chelmsford CM3 5XF, England   |
Ranked #13 of 23 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
RAYLEIGH
“This place was not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stayed here on biz and was dismayyed to hear revellers partying until 3am. this was terrible as i had a meeting in nearby Wickford at 9am in the morning.

I got very little sleep

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We are 40 and ahve a 22 year old daughter who stayed in the family room. Although room was dated it was clean, plenty towels,warm,quiet and comfortable. Bring your own toiletries ie shampoo conditioner etc, as it only has basic soap dispensers.Only downside was the poor quality beds, old spring bases and matresses. Great location in town centre for all shops various takeaways within 300 metres.Staff friendly and helpful and provided a decent service. Breakfast was a good standard and had from cerials to the full english available. Parking right outside free. Paid £69 for bb inclusive for all of us. Total Value for money. AA two star registered would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Snowdonia National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We needed accommodation for one night so that we could enjoy a family party at the nearby Club Woodham. The Oakland Hotel offered exactly what we required. Here is an overview of my thoughts:

The bedroom was basic but clean. It’s a long time since my wife and I have slept in a ‘standard’ sized double bed as almost everywhere we stay usually has at least ‘king size’ beds nevertheless it was very comfortable and had crisp clean sheets. The bedroom itself was a fair size, warm and had good standard equipment (tv, beverage tray etc). During the evening you could hear music from the bar on the ground floor of the hotel but as we were on the second floor it was really not too loud and I wouldn't consider this a problem (if concerned about noise then perhaps ask for a second floor room). In any event, on our return from our night out I could have slept through pretty much anything.

The en-suite looked dated however it was perfectly clean. The hot water was ‘hot’ and not warm as it can be in some budget places but the shower was difficult to control and the power was poor. If I managed this accommodation that would be the first issue I would address.

Breakfast is served in the large bar area which I guess is closed to the public during breakfast time meaning you really had space to relax. I didn’t have Breakfast but my wife did and said the Cooked Breakfast was fine. Nothing to write home about but was enjoyable and not greasy. Cereal and plenty of fruit juice was also made available as well as Sunday newspapers. Breakfast is served between 9am and 10am on a Sunday which we thought was a great idea for recovering partygoers or anyone wanting to start the day slowly.

The location of the Hotel in the centre of South Woodham Ferrers is excellent in terms of convenience with restaurants, bars and a 24 hour Asda almost literally on the doorstep. The downside of this convenient location is that on a Saturday night you are likely to witness drunk activity in the area. I mention this because I suspect some might find it a bit livelier than they might like. Personally, I don’t think there are many Town or City centre places in Britain that could offer the convenience of a very central location without a bit of loutish behaviour on a Friday or Saturday night. I don’t like it but I understand that’s how it is. On this note, if I stayed again, I wouldn’t leave my car in the Car Park at the back of the Hotel as in the morning there was fresh 'litter' around our car that had appeared overnight and the wing mirror had been knocked suggesting that some activity had occurred near or even against our car (I will leave further detail to your imagination but perhaps the participants should have got a room). In future I would be more comfortable dropping off my luggage and then parking the car in a nearby residential street (which would have been free anyway).

Finally, with any review you have to take the price into consideration. We paid a few pence under £60 for a Double en-suite Bedroom with Cooked Breakfast and feel this represented very good value. I wouldn’t stay in this hotel if I was on Holiday but surely people don’t visit Woodham on holiday?!? However if you need low-cost accommodation for one night after an evening out in town then this place is perfect!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Well what can i say after spending a week in this hotel, i found that it was unkept, outdated, un hygenic, dangerous showers as the water will scold you, the manager was rude, the breakfast was not worth having, colleagues were bitten, the beds were either too low down or hard

There are no locks on the inside of the doors, the "nightclub" was on until 2am guests are freely walking about upstairs, there is no secure part to this hotel.

Prisoners get treated better than you do in this hotel

They are a 2* AA hotel which should be a 0 * hotel.

the only good thing about staying here is that Asda is only a 2minute walk plus you have the chinese, indian,chippy,chinese,indian,chippy around you as well as the police station and fire station.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
oaklandhotel, owner at The Oakland Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
The person who wrote this response stayed here whilst working in the area. The vast proportion of guests here at that time were his colleagues, so anyone upstairs would have most likely been as part of his company's booking.
I strongly object to some of his comments.
Our breakfasts consist of ; fruit juice, toast and cereal, followed by a full English breakfast which consists of egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomato and beans.
Tea or coffee is also provided with the breakfast. There was one particular lad who wanted something different every day - be it scrambled eggs instead of fried, or chips because hes a fussy eater.We were cooking 50 breakfasts that week, and to get them out quickly, which is important in the mornings, we did tell them that we could only do the "normal" breakfasts, and to just leave anything he did not eat. Our "normal" breakfasts do not include chips, but then I dont think many hotels do.
He stated that workmen were bitten. They were actually working near field, and would suggest that is where they were bitten. Whilst chatting to our barmaid in the evening, one of the workers actually told her that they were bitten because they were working near fields.Rooms I admit are dated, but they are spotlessly clean - we are regularly commended for this. We have several repeat customers who come to stay with us on a regular basis.
There are no locks on the inside of the doors, but once the door is shut, access is not possible from the outside, as it is self locking.
You can come here any time, and see for yourselves that the hotel is not unkept, but clean and tidy. We are only a two star hotel, and I think that we provide good value for money. The late bar is well advertised, and we always let people know that it can be noisy at weekends. However there are several rooms which are quiet.
Taunton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

The rooms are quite reasonably sized, and clean. The decor is okay, and there are no signs of torn wallpaper or damaged paintwork. Breakfast is interesting, whatever you asked for cooked, results in a full breakfast being served. Options or requests are ignored.

Thursday Karaoke only lasts until 1am, but is louder than Friday's disco that lasts until 2am. Get a room on the second floor and at the back to minimise sound effects. There were quite a few bleary eyed travellers on Friday morning.

Town centre location makes it handy for Asda and those toiletries you forgot, but liable to the sounds of shop-keepers opening up early.

One stay is enough for me.

• Liked — Room cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dorset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

Stayed for one night, would never consider staying again ! mainly because the rooms are old, shabby, smelly and dirty. All you can smell in the bathroom is piss even over the disinfectant, the shower was useless, the sink was about to fall off the wall, the dark, old, dirty decor was disgusting.
The noise from downstairs bar/nightclub and various fights outside is sure to keep you awake most of the night if the smell of the room doesn't.
Breakfast !!!! well starvation is a better option. Burnt sausages, cold baked beans, and grey egg that was obviously scraped off another plate.
The staff if they could speak English were unhelpful, unfriendly and obiously didn't want to be there either.
I doubt anyone who has to stay there (only hotel in the area) will ever return.
Advice to others, sleep in your car and get breakfast at Asda.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — The smell.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Oakland Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!