“Lovely place to eat !” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to eat !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Didn't stay but took 2 friends for dinner after work. I've been here many times before and I thought I'd better review it. The food came in plenty of time and it was tasty and reasonable price. We had a lovely time and none of us had any complaints about what we'de ordered. We all loved it and will def come back again and again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

nice room efficient staff very comfortable bed and at the rear of the building is very quiet .it is within a 5 minute walk from the station and trains go to liverpool st station every 20 minutes and with connections you can be at kings cross within an hour .no downsides for me .also the extremely busy area in chelmsford town centre which has masses of shops and lovely restaurants is only a 15 minute stroll .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Rainham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

stayed two nights for our son's wedding ( booked 4 rooms including bridal suite ). Rooms comfortable & clean,restaurant food very good , all staff very friendly & helpful. When about 24 of us turned up for breakfast within 30 mins of each other the staff did not flap & we all got served within a reasonable time ( it was'nt a problem that not everyone was staying at the hotel).
well done & thankyou.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ESSEX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Took family & friends for afternoon tea, Enjoyable experience, staff very polite the only downside too many cakes and not enough sandwiches, one of the diners did ask for more sandwiches but staff weren't able to accommodate this request.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
RTW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed for a girlie weekend at the county hotel in chelmsford. Great hotel. literally 2 min walk from the train station and bus station.
Rooms were lovely, clean and very comfy. Staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Also had afternoon tea in the bar which was Amazing. The cakes were out of this world! Us girls do have a sweet tooth.

Overall i would def return to this hotel again soon :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

There must be two County Hotels in Chelmsford as I don't seem to have stayed at the same place as all the other rave reviews. Totally weird!

I have stayed at many many hotels over the years whether for business or pleasure and only now have I felt so annoyed and compelled to joining TripAdvisor to share my experience of this place. Hopefully I will prevent you from making the same mistake as me.

Where to start with the complaints, my top ten.....
1. No loo roll in the bathroom upon arrival (fixed by hotel after complaint)
2. Curtain hanging off rail in bedroom, see photo (fixed by hotel after complaint)
3. Holes and rips in duvet cover, see photo (same cover all week)
4. Cushions worn to point of stuffing falling out, see photo
5. Coat hook fell off back of room door
6. Mould on bathroom tiles and bath sealant, see photo
7. Bath u-bend blocked so water did not run away whilst showering, I was up to my shins in it (fixed by hotel after complaint)
8. TV failed after two days (fixed by hotel after complaint)
9. Dried toothpaste in bathroom glass from previous occupants of room, see photo
10. Mattress as hard as a rock, though I guess this is down to personal choice

However, all of the above were nothing compared to the poor sleep I had for four nights due to the walls and ceilings being paper thin, I could hear every single movement from the room above, and I mean every movement!

In addition, the place is soul-less with no character or any inspiring decor, not a big deal for my business visit, but not somewhere you would want to stay for a romantic weekend!

On a more positive note the reception staff were very polite, friendly and helpful during my stay and did everything they could to resolve the room issues. To be honest I got fed up of having to go to reception and keep complaining to them, but I always kept it polite and courteous.

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age a so-called 4-star hotel room is allowed to get to this state of disrepair and poor maintenance, not at all what I expected, or anything like I have ever experienced in other price comparable 3/4-star hotels.

Upon checkout I spoke to the duty manager about my stay, he listened but to be honest didn't seem that bothered, not even offering a discount for my troubles (company was paying anyway so no loss to me, just the principle!). I will be writing to the General Manager in due course to make him aware of the above issues.

Would I stay again......no chance, and I urge you to think twice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GJMcG, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We have to hold our hands up to this for some as yet unknown reason these issues slipped through our processes. We did offer to change the guest’s room but the guest declined and asked us to move the other guests [we did speak with them and advised them of the disturbance they caused]
We have recently upgraded all our 65 TV's to the latest LED models, one malfunctioned and this was replaced with a new TV within the hour. All other issues were also resolved within the hour. All the Hotel mattresses are relatively new and are double sprung 10" thick, with individual spring pockets, generally well received by most guests, and they are most definitely not the least expensive on the market.
We have a continuous process of room maintenance and during the course of this year we have completely renovated 20 of our bathrooms, we have a further 16 premium bedroom bathrooms which were completely new 3 years ago and are extremely good. The remaining one or two are in the process of being refurbished.
All of our staff take any criticism seriously and endeavour to correct immediately, as happened in this instance.
The issues were resolved amicably [or so we thought]
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

we loved this hotel , it was clean , classy and cosy , with staff more than accomodating to please you . we never herd the words no , or sorry you cant , we even had our dessert sent up to our room , and a bottle of prossecco was waiting for us . The Bathroom was Amazing and so was the food in the restaurant , we absolutely loved it here !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!