“Very good hotel, just off the A12” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Writtle Road | Margaretting, Chelmsford CM4 0EH, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Chelmsford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Very good hotel, just off the A12”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My first time at this hotel. Stayed for one night on business. Reception was very efficient and this was appreciated after a long drive. The room was very comfortable, a little warm for my liking but I don' t feel the cold that easily. I opened the window and that sorted the problem. The bed was fine, the room spotlessly clean, I liked the sparkly bathroom floor!
I ate at the restaurant on the hotel site (Bartellas) it's not in the main body of the hotel but a 5 minute walk from the end of the car park. The food was excellent. They have a varied choice with 2 and 3 course fixed price menus around £20. The staff were very attentive and friendly. My only comment would be that the route to the restaurant wasn't well lit at the outset near the trees but this is only a minor point and would not deter me from going again.
Breakfast was lovely and freshly cooked to order, always preferable to buffet style bulk cooked offerings you get in a lot of hotels.
There is no lift at the hotel but assistance is offered with your bags if you need it.
Overall a short but pleasant stay. I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your very kind review following your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill.
It is always good to know that the hard work that the team put in to make sure guests enjoy their stay is appreciated, I will pass on your comments.
I have today asked the hotel to look in to the lighting on the path between the hotel and the restaurant to ensure that during the dark winter months the route is better lit and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

A lovely hotel with great service from well trained hospitable staff. Breakfast is freshly cooked, substantial and tasty. Highly recommend for business or leisure. Bar menu is well thought out, didn't try the restaurant but colleagues were complimentary.

• Stayed November 2012
HLGroup, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill.
It is always a pleasure to read that all of our efforts to maintain high standards in all areas are working and are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area again.

maldon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding the evening event was really nice one of best we have been to. But now about the Hotel it looked nice from the outside very big car park nice gardens, now the inside very smart decor our room was very nice ,good view very clean, smart bathroom, yes we were very pleased. Hotel staff were very helpful and made us feel at home.we also had a meal at bartellas restaurant in hotels grounds it was lovely very good food great staff made us feel like VIPs also breakfast in hotel was very good great choice but there was two blots on such a nice stay first it was raining and to get restaurant in grounds the path was not good so do not wear your best shoes i know they could help the rain but the path should be better to get to a first class restaurant now to second blot we was told as we booked a room for the wedding the hotel would give a discount but when i enquired i was told because i have booked with Best Western on net you do not get it i thought i had booked with hotel so beware if you have discount dont use Best Western but we had a lovely time anyway

Room Tip: WE had room 28 it was exec room loved it
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review and all of your comments.
It is always good to know that people enjoy their time with us for events and accommodation and I will make sure that I pass your comments on to the staff.
With regards to the rate for the bedroom, we do offer a discounted rate for people attending events with us if this is mentioned at the time of booking, the rates offered online are always different and this special rate is not available online.
If you are ever looking to stay with us in the future please contact me direct and I will ensure you receive the best rate available.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Myself and my now husband got married at this beautiful wedding venue on April 5th 2012.
I was extremley happy with the service and quality of everything thoughout our entire day and evening.
Staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming throughout our whole time.
We felt very important during the lead upto our wedding and had a couple of meetings with Libby, where we were taken through every detail. We didnt have to give final numbers until about a week before the wedding which was fantastic, because people can drop out or in at the last minute.
The food was perfect, everything went so smoothly. We were given our food first but within minutes everyone else had theres to because so many staff were on hand to get all the food out.
The venue was beautiful and everything had been cleaned and made to look wonderful. The bridal room was lovely (although would recommend paying for it straight away when booking, we had forgot we hadnt and had to pay when we left). Rooms were clean and beautiful and most of my family stayed there also and we had a wonderful breakfast in the morning (even though i had the wedding blues, wanted to do it all over again)
What a wonderful day, made perfect by the wonderful people at Ivy Hill hotel. Would def reccommend as a great wedding venue if anyone was looking!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your review following your wedding earlier this year, Congratulations.
It is always a pleasure to read that we have exceeded a guests expectations, especially on as day as special as your wedding.
I will make sure that all of the team see your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I am so glad we found this hotel. After getting married on the 31/08/2012 at another venue, myself my husband and our families spent the weekend at this hotel and we had a great time.
The staff are very friendly and very helpful. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the hotel is spotless. Thank you for looking after us and we will definitely be staying at your hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HLGroup, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent visit to BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill.

It is always wonderful to hear that guests have enjoyed their time with us and been well looked after by the team.

Wishing you and your new husband a very happy future together and we hope to see you back soon.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I often travel using Best Western hotels in Europe, my vist to Chelmsford showed me what standard I should expect in the future from these hotels - a lot more!
Ivy Hill made me feel really welcome in foriegn country, the staff were friendly and professional and could not do enough for me.
The rooms were large and looked newly decorated and the wonderful "English" breakfast filled me for the rest of the day.
The Hotel should be one of Best Westerns stars.

Room Tip: Paid a little extra for an Executive room (32) and got a large settee and plenty of space - well wor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill.
All Best Western properties have to meet certain standards but where possible we like to exceed them and it is always nice to know that it is appreciated.
Our bedrooms were refurbished only a couple of years ago and still have a very new feel to them.
I am pleased that the staff looked after you and breakfast filled you up.

Next time you are in the area we look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay at Ivy Hill Hotel. We found the hotel to be of a very good standard, the bedroom was clean and decorated to a high standard. We did experience lots of noise from other bedrooms doors slamming shut and perhaps some door self closers need adjusting.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely and we enjoyed a good Sunday lunch in the lovely restaurant which is within the grounds of the hotel, breakfast was excellent too.

Overall a very enjoyable stay in a well run and organised hotel which is in an excellent location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your review and I'm pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable weekend.
I will ask someone to take a look at the doors to check the closers, thank you for bringing this to me attention.

We hope to see you back at the hotel when you are next in the area

Managing Director

Been to BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!