“Tasty tapas to start the evening off...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Tasty tapas to start the evening off...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This restaurant came recommended to me by friends last November. There was quite a good selection of food available and the waitress was helpful in making recommendations and did know what she was talking about (always helps!). As I remember we had red peppers which were stuffed with fish and these were very tasty. On certain nights the restaurant opens it's floor for some dancing but we missed out on that. Good atmosphere and nice cocktails. It wouldn't be somewhere that I'd be expecting to spend more than an hour or so and this is because the seating isn't that comfortable. We had our dinner on bar stools but didn't have an issue with this. If you are looking for a comfy evening then this probably isn't your place to choose. Our experience was certainly good enough though!

• Visited November 2012

London
“Great local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Came to this restaurant on Friday with my sister and a friend. Only good reviews from me! The 3 of us ate a load of amazing tapas dishes and had 3 bottles of wine all for £80 bargain! (The card machine wasn't working so meant a trip to the cash point my only downer!) Atmosphere lovely great waitress attentive all night. I'd definitely recommend and I will be going back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Unfortunately a little disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Whilst I am all for supporting local businesses, particularly in the current climate, unfortunately my experience at El Chigre was a little disappointing. Five of us went a couple of weeks back and had a table booked for 7:30pm. After having to ask for the menus, we were informed by the waiter that he couldn't take the order until the kitchen allowed him to. I completely understand that good restaurants get busy but we didn't end up placing our order until 8:15 and that was after having to go up to the bar and requesting some service. Then unfortunately there was a debacle with the drinks - after requesting a glass of red I was firstly presented with a bottle of white, then secondly a glass of white. Although I did receive the right drink in the end, the rogue glass of wine was still added to the bill at the end of the night.

Another issue was that the specials board had no prices on it and what we thought were assorted meat skewers turned out to be three actual cuts of meat at £25 for the dish. Of course the error does lie with us in that we didn't ask the price but please be aware is all I can advise.

In general the food was fine - some dishes didnt arrive and one was incorrect- but think the poor service really put a damper on things which I am generally disappointed about because I had heard good reports about this restaurant.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Perhaps they had an off day.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We visited Saturday lunchtime and the restaurant was not really busy, this being our third visit in the last eighteen months, and I must say our worst experience. The first problem, was the apparent lack of knowledge by the waitress of the menu and the availability of the dishes, as three were found to be off that days menu. Secondly, whilst I understand the need for a microwave at times, this should be monitored, as the dishes were either searingly hot or virtually cold, however despite this they were reasonable in flavour, if not size. The prices seem to have gone up since our last visit, as four tapas dishes, a soft drink and a small glass of wine amounted to £36.00. All in all pretty average, perhaps we picked the wrong day.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Great little find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great food and very friendly staff. Place had a real buzz about it and am going to book for my birthday in a few weeks' time. Great little find! Would definitely recommend for a great night out with friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Food