“Great Staff..” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Toby Carvery
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Great Staff..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

It is always a pleasure to visit this Toby Carvery as the staff are great, from the managers, serving staff and chefs we have always found them to be most pleasant, welcoming and helpful. It is a very popular carvery so sometimes there is a short wait for a table but it is worth it.

I have always found the carvery area clean and well topped up and the food well cooked with a decent selection of vegetables to choose from . My only complaint foodwise is that the beef can be a little hit and miss with it being on a couple of occasions a little gristly and fatty, prehaps a change of supplier needed. The rest of the meats are always fine but other than the beef I have no complaints at all regarding the food as it is always beautifully cooked.

To sum up, a great value dining experience with very welcoming staff and nice food. Recommended.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Good hearty grub. Gooid waiting staff. Very good value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Chelmer tavern is now a Toby CARVERY. WHICH IS OF GOOD VALUE. RATHER BLAND GRAVY,but meat is good! The veg biut hiot and miss. Always WASHED OUT lately, BUT GREAT FOR AN ECNOMICALLY PRICED MEAL. STAFF ARE HARD WORKING AND DO THEIR BEST. Comfy tables. Looking tired could do wioth a spruce up and fresh coat of paint. But I'm not picking here. Great value breakfasts all you can eat. Avoid the busiest times to come,too hectic and noisy and the car park gets well jammed up.
Overall a great place to have a good informal inexpensive hearty relaxed family friendly bite to eat.
I recommend Dorrie the excellent waitress for morning breakfasts. Service with a smile!

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Food was good but the pub was dirty should i be worried”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have been to the Toby carvery on numerous occasions and generally it is good. We normally pop in if we are in Chelmsford and cannot be bothered to cook. The pub is generally busy and sometimes you wait for a table, which is not a problem.

Last night was no different we decided to pop in for dinner whilst in the area and had a 15 minute wait. So by the time we got a drink and had a bit of a chat we were then buzzed to say our table was ready.

I popped into the ladies and I have to say the smell was not pleasant, the toilets have no windows so there is no fresh air from anywhere so unfortunately there was no where for the smell to go and so it just lingered. There seems a need for a more powerful fan to allow a better circulation.

There were only three of us in my party as our daughter had driven to meet us for dinner. We were taken to a table of six, which ok was a bit odd but not a problem. As I was sitting down I noticed the floor was covered in ripped up paper or beer mats. The next thing I did was put my hand onto the table/place mat and was covered in somebody elses ice cream desert!

My daughter took one look at my face and said she doesn't like this, no I don't. If you are setting a new table for diners surely the basics is to clean the table and wash the place mats all can be done at the table with a spray and cloth.

Ok I can concede that you cannot hoover with other diners around but just a small brush and dustpan would have helped or even just pick up the rubbish on the floor.

The dirty table to me is wrong on any account and should not have happened. Now the food as always was delicious, the queue is one of those things if you go in the busy period you wait or you stay seated until the queue has gone down a bit. We chose the second option and had a nice dinner.

The busy pub proves that there is a need for another one in the area and also that some of the basics need to be addressed within the Chelmer Tavern.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Essex
“Good Quality Carvery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We hadn't visited a Toby Carvery for ages. On a Friday lunchtime, we were made welcome. The service was good; the queue for the carvery was short; meat was tasty and served on a hot plate; and the vegetables were reasonably well cooked.

We managed to find room for a pud as well.
All in all we left satisfied by a good experience at the Chelmer Tavern

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
united kingdom ipswich
“good old english roast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you like a good old english roast you must try this place just like ya mother used to cook you can have all four different meats & a very good yorkshire pudding all the vegatables you can eat or get on ya plate plus 4 different types of gravy plus sauces all for just over £6.00 a head great value fot money, I travel 40 miles for this, It takes some beaten.

• Visited November 2012