“Beautiful garden” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 57 things to do in Chelmsford
More attraction details
Owner description: An Essex hilltop garden with sweeping panoramas, big open skies, herbaceous borders, roses, ponds and drought tolerant planting. A fabulous day out whatever the season. Facilities include a restaurant, cafe, gift & bookshop, plant centre, children's play area and free parking. Open daily from 10am (closed Christmas Day)
Thornton-Cleveleys
26 attraction reviews
“Beautiful garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Really enjoyed our visit, the staff were really helpful and informative. The on site restaurant was good value and the shop was well stocked with imaginative gifts. It is quite a walk uphill to get to the main gardens and was very windy on the day we visited but we thoroughly enjoyed the day

London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“A Garden Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Hyde Hall is a beautiful 360 acre estate owned by The Royal Horticultural Society. The gardens are open to the public all year round except Christmas Day. It is such a tranquil place and is kept in immaculate condition. It is lovely to be able to take a leisurely stroll through the colorful gardens before stopping at the barn restaurant for lunch and then browsing in the garden shop having been inspired to transform your own garden. We last on a sunny afternoon and people were sitting with their families having a pick nick. There is a small cafe on the way in and we stopped here before going through not realising that in the gardens itself is a great cafe serving hot food etc. We spent about 3 hours walking around and taking in the plants and nature etc. There is a small shop and garden center.The new visitor center is smart and airy and the car park neat and practical. Although a long way from the gardens itself, the visitor center is served by a frequent mini golf buggy service; recommended for the old, infirm (and lazy) as the walk is a bit steep!. We did have a great time here and both said we would like to return again shortly.

5 attraction reviews
“Lovely gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Good day put, especially when they have a fair on. The gardens are very well looked after and the on site cafe is very good.

Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“Great gardens , suits all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have driven past Hyde Hall many times but decided to visit. Going by car is probably recommended as it is rather out the way. A big car park with plenty of Blue Badge and family spaces fairly close to the main entrance. Very helpful staff and as I was using my stick I was offered a buggy ride to the centre of the gardens but choose to walk as the slopes were quite gentle. Overall I would congratulate the planing of the walkways as there are regular seating areas to take a break with lovely views. Some of the gardens are having make overs but that's nature for you. There are two beautiful ponds and the curving walkways mean children can have an explore. Loads of lawned areas too for children to run around.
We only had tea and cakes in the barn restaurant but there was a good menu on offer. This attraction is not just for "diehard Gardeners world viewers" but a nice place to spend a couple of hours wandering around. As you exit there is a small plant centre and RHS gift shop. Overall a nice tranquil attraction.

Rochford, England, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“A wonderful day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Even if you aren't a garden enthusiast this is a wonderful place for a quiet walk. Lots of paths and grass areas to mooch along and enjoy the bird song. However if you like plants then you're in heaven. The gardens are a myriad of colours and textures and scents. From the dry garden to the lake area to the vegetable gardens I was educated, enthralled and at one with my surroundings. There were several moments of 'if only I could win the lottery and have a garden like this' but as it isn't likely to happen I noted the names of the plants that could fit in my garden and toddled off to the shop to buy them. Both the plant and bulb shopping experience is great as I found things I'd not seen in my local garden centres. Also there were great gifts to buy.

I must also add to this the food in the restaurant. I've had the best Ploughman's ever here and the home made soups are delicious too. We go at least once a month for a wander, lunch and to purchase a few plants. I love it.

Visited May 2013