“worth the wait .. book in advance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cuckoo

The Cuckoo
Radley Green | On the A414 between Ongar and Chelmsford, Chelmsford CM4 0LT , England
01245 248946
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Chelmsford, England
“worth the wait .. book in advance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Tried to book into this restaurant twice before and then realised you need to book more than a couple of weeks in advance to get in here and now I know why.

Dishes of particular note... Starters.... fritters, gnocchi & tart all excellent. For main the slow cooked belly pork was great and my husband had the steak and kidney pudding and said it was the best he had in a long while... Service faultless..

Will definately be back ....

• Visited November 2012

Epping, United Kingdom
“ladies that lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

popped in on the off chance for lunch on thursday with a friend the whole place was heaving
were told they were fully booked which they certainly were but offered a table in the bar which was very small and cosy nice cosy wood burning stove.
Had the ladies lunch £10.50 really good value main course plus a glass of wine and homemade bread which was delicious we both had salmon fishcake and chips excellant, shared a pudding homemade ice cream in a brandy snap basket
Annette and her side kick susie were very chatty we will certainly be going back for dinner!
well worth a visit would book next time

“You should try it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Another excellent meal with attentive service shame they are not open on Sundays!!!
The halibut was delicious and didn't want it to end...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“My favourite local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a beautiful little restaurant off the beaten track that I have been lucky enough to visit recently for lunch. The staff were lovely and made myself and my guests feel extremely welcome. We enjoyed a drink in the bar area before moving to our table and at no time felt rushed. The service was friendly, polite and attentive. It was clear from the atmosphere that the restaurant has many regulars of which I feel is always a good recommendation.
The food was amazing and enjoyed by everyone in my party. I can highly recommend the steak and kidney pudding currently on the menu. The chef obviously prides himself on fresh locally produced ingredients as the waitress explained he had collected the fish from Aldeburgh. We also enjoyed the little extra touches of homemade bread and petit fours.
I am looking forward to returning as soon as possible.

Wickford, United Kingdom
“Both Young and Old a wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

very confused as to a previous review on Young affluent people. I took my family in on Friday night for a birthday treat and we had a wonderful time. We all had a different main, and each of us commented on how enjoyable it was, the younger of the group only ate fish, and had such a good choice, my son had the Haddock and said it was the best he's every had, and as for the puddings, well all I can say is save a little room, even if you have to share. Staff were pleasant and friendly, atmosphere great!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere