“People also make hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
128 - 136 Parkway | Army & Navy Roundabout, Chelmsford CM2 7PU, England   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Chelmsford
Swansea County, United Kingdom
“People also make hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Make sure you check the info on the website, even if you have to 'phone the lodge. ie, Extra 'nonadvertised' charges of £7.50 per day for parking. Roadworks noise!!! Otherwise hope staff are endowed with good local knowledge.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here, along with 21 of my friends and family on Saturday night for my Birthday. Rooms were what you would expect for the price - basis, but clean and tidy. Staff in general were polite and helpful minus one in particular.

A member of staff, who informed me his position was 'receptionist' (Joe), could do with some serious briefing in customer service skills. The problem started first at check in when i asked if i could possibly change up a note for parking, the female who was also working on the desk at the time, politely informed me, 'i will check for you, seeing as it is your Birthday', a nice way to break the ice and make me feel welcome. However, when she failed to find any change, the member off staff in question piped up with, 'If you want change, you'll have to buy something', to which my sister replied, 'what is your cheapest item?', he then went on to tell me that even if i bought something he couldn't give me change anyway? How does that work then, if someone wants to purchase an item, they can't unless they have exact change? Anyway, i let this slip and found my own way to sort out parking charges.

Later that night, all the local, nearby shops had closed other than restaurants and my sister and I fancied a quick snap before the evening out. Noticing the 'snack menu' in our room, we went down to the reception desk again to ask for some chips. Again, the lady was there who went to put it through, when once again the member of staff in question piped up, simply with 'There is no food, the microwave is broken', the lady whispered to me 'i will check' as she wondered off to have a look and then came back around to me. After this i said 'Is anything going to be done about the problems i have faced tonight?', he then felt it was professional and correct for him to tell me i had said something i hadn't? That being, apparently i 'demanded' a discount, this really riled me up and i went ahead to explain, 1, don't put words in my mouth, 2, i don't want a discount, i simply would appreciate a little more help, 3, i have brought 21 customers to your hotel this evening.

When i book a hotel i am not only paying for the room, but i am paying for the facilities as well, i expect to have food available when there is a leaflet in my room advertising this matter. And if there is any issues, i expect to be helped out with some kind of apology or compensation for the issue, not rudely spoken too and in fact informed with his hand up towards my face, 'i am not speaking to you about this', it was this point when i took his name and asked his position so i could make a formal complaint.

No one wants to hear this hotel needs a microwave in order to serve any food in the first place, probably not the best information for him to disclose. Secondly, i had someone with me who had a child and had no means of heating their milk? This is not what you expect from any hotel, no matter the price you pay.

I am honestly disgusted with this young man's attitude, customer service skills and mannerism's - not a good promoter of your hotel at all. He made me feel uncomfortable staying altogether, and having brought 21 other customers to the hotel that night, i felt it was horrendous attitude to refuse to talk to me and offer me no help nor compensation for the problems i faced. That unfortunately, because of one rude member of staff, is 21 customers who will not be returning in the future.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
TravelodgeUK, Niki from Customer Services at Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your feedback Jodi. We’re truly sorry to learn that you did not receive a high level of customer care as we pride ourselves in delivering this exceptionally well to every customer every day. We would like to investigate further so please use the contact us section on our website to provide your contact and booking details.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Booked this for wedding we were attending. Nice clean rooms, good beds, despite being next to main road had two good nights sleep. Staff outstanding, could not do enough for us. One minor problem lead to us getting free breakfast, which was a nice gesture.

Room Tip: Back of hotel quieter
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Yeovil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Convenient for the Town Centre, the lodge is clean and has the usual fittings that are now the standard for Travelodge. My personal taste is that these rooms are a bit too minimalistic, however they offer a good value nights stay and if you aren't in the room much, it doesn't matter.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here for one night while working in the area. Had previously stayed at a Best Western chain along the road but this hotel is less than half the price, twice as good and a million times more friendly.
People who have left reviews saying it's not up to scratch surprise me.....it's not a 5 star boutique hotel in London nor does it claim to be. It's clean, it's safe, it's a comfy warm bed for the night and all at a fair price.....what more could you want? Would stay here again if I'm in the area and will recommend to others for sure.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

My friends and i stayed at The travelodge in Chelmsford on Thursday night for my friends 18th birthday pub crawl and found it to be full of extremely helpful and friendly staff. Their customer service is excellent and cannot do enough to help you throughout your stay with a special mention to Scott Diamond who made us feel so comfortable.! The rooms were extremely clean. Will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Chelmsford.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014 via mobile

Good location, friendly staff,
Had absolutely no problems with my stay. Overall great service. I would recommend this place if you are looking for an affordable, convenient, for a short stay in chelmsford

• Stayed November 2014

Been to Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel? Share your experiences!