“Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Chelmsford
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Hotel was what I expected, no frills but very comfortable, very little noise either from traffic or corridors, perfect for business stay. Has been updated, more luxury than a lot of Travelodges, Only downside was car parking which is nearly £10 overnight, other than that I'll be back

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This place has some of the most friendliest staff for a travelodge especially Jane on reception, the rooms are ok just need some attention to detail, also this place needs air con, it's so so so hot, and cold water from taps is not that cold so no cold shower for me. Only stay in cold months.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Staff we're great, special mention goes to angie on the desk during the day and Rhys who was on the graveyard shift, check-in process could have been much quicker as it took some time to get my 9 rooms allocated. Some of the guests we're really noisy and nasty to both staff and other residents, so I now understand why the hotel employs 2 bouncers to patrol the corridors, apart from that it was still a cheap stay in a clean hotel close to where we had to be

• Stayed September 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff welcomed us well and sorted out an early room entry (the daughter needed forever to get ready for the wedding - not even hers!). But come the evening the room, which was perfectly adequate in all other ways, was so HOT it was impossible to sleep. Which meant I was awake when the boys next door came back at 3 in the morning and decided to have a game of rugby in their room for an hour or so. NOT recommended for a weekend stay when, clearly, a significant proportion of the people staying there are doing so because, if you pack 4 into a room, it's cheaper than a taxi home! And, believe me, these are people whose friends and relatives know them too well to offer them a lift home after 12 pints of lager and a vindaloo! Big discount on the parking at the back for hotel guests. Excellent breakfast at Frankie and Benny's next door (the Travelodge offer looked a bit dull). We booked early so the price should have been good value - however, you go to a hotel to sleep and I couldn't so it didn't really matter how cheap it was - I would have been better off in the car in the car park.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are at the back - away from the Army and Navy roundabout
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
We are really sorry to learn of your disappointment with the temperatures in your room roger w, unfortunately we do not provide air conditioning in this particular hotel however in an attempt to make our customer’s stay more comfortable we do offer fans. These are available from reception on first come first serve basis. It is also regrettable that you were disturbed by other guests. Our hotel staff are expected to ask customers to be courteous to other guests and we will ensure that our Hotel Manager is made aware of the concerns you have raised regarding this.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Friendly but not very sincere or professional staff, a rip off to pay 10 pound extra for an early room plus the bulldust about paying and procedure for the car park. Staff were not helpful in this area. Should take lessons from the Markfield Travelodge staff on dealing with Guests . HIYa greetings maybe OK for teenagers but not for paying folk. Crap breakfast - go next door to the restaurant for the similar price breakfast. Room very clean and maintained, however lack of air made it stuffy as you could not open the small window over looking the car park because of the noise being generated from there all hours of the night. We will be staying some where else next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Medicine Hat, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Very large room. Room with 4 beds! Well a double and 2 terribly uncomfortable mattresses for the children! Only 1 chair to sit on between 4! Definitely no frills but I guess you get what you pay for. Also expensive car parking for just a travelodge on the outskirts of Chelmsford, it's hardly central London!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here with a friend prior to going to the V Festival. The welcome was wonderful and the staff, without exception, were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. I parked easily in the car park behind the hotel (access it by taking 1st left after the Army and Navy roundabout on Parkway). The receptionist provided me with the telephone number and instructions and I obtained 24 hours parking for £7 instead of the usual £20. Discounted spaces are first come, first served. My room was not ready but I was offered a cool drink while I waited and the receptionist went off to ask housekeeping to be quick. I had booked a twin room but the first one I was given was a double. This was quickly remedied although I had the feeling that, had a twin not been available, then we'd have been stuck with the double. I was also offered a fan as it was a blisteringly hot day and there is no air-con. Unfortunately the fan did little but move the hot air around. We opened a window but were then disturbed by the noise of the road outside. Neither of us slept well and actually had better subsequent nights on the ground in our tents despite being in the middle of a festival campsite! We had pre-paid for breakfast (£4.85) and were really disappointed at the poor quality continental breakfast on offer. Value for money it was not. A much better option would be to go to Frankie and Benny's under the hotel where, for £5, you can get a cooked breakfast! I have stayed here on each occasion I have been to the V Festival but would certainly think twice about returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel? Share your experiences!