“Homely and welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 23 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
London
“Homely and welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at Rothmans on three separate occasions in recent months. During that time, I have also stayed at many other similar establishments across the South East, as a change from the usual chain hotels. This hardly qualifies me as an expert, but I have to say Rothmans compares well with its peers. Perhaps that is because repeat stays tend to bring a sense of the familiar, but in any event the rooms are comfortable and spacious, the breakfast has great variety and is plentiful and nutrious, essential Wifi is complimentary and works well (which isn't a given in lots of B&Bs), and although the bathroom facilities are shared I have never "bumped into anyone else on the landing". I also like the fact that there's a decent pub but a short walk away serving decent food at the price point, and real ale! I will return again when in the area.

Room Tip: Georgian room is a twin and more spacious than Edwardian - both both fine for a single traveler.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at the Bed and Breakfast for four weeks in April. I spent most of my time solo in the Edwardian room, but also enjoyed the Four Poster bedroom for a couple of nights with my girlfriend.

The house is beautiful with a large garden and plenty of facilities. There are three shared bathrooms, and some of the rooms have ensuites. Peter is an excellent host - welcoming and accomodating.

Edwardian:

The Edwardian is a cosy room with TV, wardrobe and desk. It was everything I needed and I was quite comfortable.

Four Poster:

The Four Poster bedroom was very large and included an ensuite. I really loved this room and will be going back in the near future.

The house is kept clean and tidy and the breakfast is tasty.

You can tell from the variety in previous comments that this is not a typical "hotel" experience. What you get from Rothmans is character in a historic property that excudes a homely feel.

I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates something a little different. I can also attest to it's suitability for long-stay accomodation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Surrey uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great old house, BUT my room was dirty, didnt even sleep in the bed as it was so dirty. couldn't wait for the morning so i could leave, never stayed for breakfast didn't want to take a chance, left the B&B early morning so i could get a drink and eat. Tourist Board need to look again as this place, its not the sort of place i would every say in again ,,RUBBISH

Room Tip: Do not book a room here
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A delightful quirky period house with a lovely lived-in feel, so different from multi-storey hotels with their identical rooms and unwelcoming atmosphere. The rooms are all different and have their own individual homely charms. Easy on-site parking. Generous breakfasts cooked to suit guests' tastes and the prices are very reasonable. I use Rothmans several times a year and have never been disappointed!

Room Tip: 'Fourposter' room is large and airy and has very pleasant views that overlook the garden.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

A charming property and charming host. Just the kind of place I like to stay. It has bags of character, history, authenticity and a feeling of home. If you gravitate towards the sterile impersonal experience of national chains, you're missing out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Fairview537, Owner at Rothmans Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Ewan

Thank you very much for posting this review - we do often get some very positive responses (2 at breakfast this morning, even!) but of course people are too busy or not registered with Trip Advisor.

What I particularly appreciate is that you picked up on what we try to achieve - I do try to welcome guests*, I love the quirky mongrel character and history of the 400-year-old house, wanting to share that, and I just want people to relax, coming and going as they please.

Also, as you I don't want to be like a hotel! (standardised, and not "homely")

*but I may be out with my kids or shpping - guests are able to get in with codes

Peter Aspbury, Proprietor
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Having seen the 3-star tourist rating for this historic house, we were hoping for something a bit special. The bed-linen was super - but that's about as far as any degree of excellence went. Medical debris in the drawers of the room, fluff in the corners, long hairs over the bedside lamp, basic shared bathroom was bad enough. The serving of the breakfast was an embarrassing farce, the cereals in disgusting plastic containers and not enough juice or tea for everyone. The owners seemed to think we all wanted his children's nursery play equipment all around but we didn't. However, this was a couple of years ago - and you may find things have improved as it still has its Tourist Board 3-star rating! But more recent reviews seem to confirm, alas, no improvement.Please do not believe the review that gives this place 5 out of 5 on all 6 categories - it just ain't true! The wonky floors and un-level walls are part of this place's olde worlde charm - but the owner, Peter, who lives there just doesn't understand standards expected of him by his visitors and it needs someone to spell it out to him that providing accommodation like this lowers the tone of the whole country to foreign visitors, too.

We are about to visit this area again in March 2013 and so looked to find a B&B only to see this place still there with its 3-star rating - and hoped it might have been refurbished etc. but, reading more recent reviews, obviously not! We will find somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Rogaron

I'll try to address your points in order. Can I first say that it is very out of date? We have addressed all the issues - we do provide feedback forms for all guests and welcome their suggestions.

Of course, I do accept that people will have different priorities and I will return to this at the end

Good to read that you thought the bed linen was super

On the cleaning - I now have 2 extra cleaners, doubling up on Fridays and Mondays, and each ot the 7 days is covered (a sign of their commitment). The new lead cleaner, Wendy, is excellent, house proud and energetic.

On breakfasts - the cereals are indeed in transparent, airtight plastic containers and by my choice. As a degree scientist, I realise the need to keep them crisp and dry and fresh. Transparency helps people make their choices from the large array of cereals on offer. There are 3 teapots and a (sealed) tea caddy....To provide for a variety of tastes, there are herbal teas (much appreciated by some). Also, I always put out a jug of juice and there is extra juice available in the fridge underneath. Again, I seek to keep the juice fresh.

Naturally, not everyone will want to use the numerous items of children's play equipment! Just a month ago, the foreign child of a family was delighted to be let loose. And very many children play in the garden

Thank you for acknowledging the "olde world charm"

In the 2 years since your visit, we have had 2 inspections and we do have the 3 star rating on merit. At great expense, but with due attention to the heritage character, 2 double bedrooms have become en-suite. The twin bedroom has its own bathroom/toilet (no shared bathroom). Again, at great expense, a full fire alarm system has been installed. New leather classic armchairs and other furnishings have been bought.

Finally, I appreciate that Rothmans may still not be your "cup of tea". For my part, I have continued to upgrade in all sorts of ways, informed by guest feedback, which I must say is largely extremely positive with many regularly returning

Kind Regards

Peter
Lostwithiel, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Problems from the booking through to breakfast. Nobody to greet us, The Regency Room was warm but very poorly furnished. A threadbare carpet over a very poorly sanded floor which was so uneven we felt drunk every time we stood up. The wardrobe and chest of drawers were 10inches apart at the bottom, but leaning together at the top! Inside the wardrobe were 3 bathrobes. One of which appeared dirty and was screwed up on the shelf. There were THREE slippers (not pairs, just three), all disposable types but all had bee used and may have been washed - or not. The chest of drawers had food crumbs in one of the drawers. The dressing table had a page from a 1999 newspaper in the bottom as a liner. The bedside tables didnt match in either design, colour or size. Very shabby, The bedding was also shabbly although appeared to be clean. The bed was very comfortable. The curtains would have been nice if they were properly hung. There is a snooker room above this room and we were kept awake until 1.30 am by people using the room. With a wooden floor on which they dropped the balls and clonked about, it was anightmare.
"Peter" was first spotted in the breakfast room holding my husbands cooked breakfast and wearing outdoor clothing i.e. jeans/fleece etc. He didnt look clean and tidy as you would hope. No welcome or "did you sleep well/is everything ok". My husband had almost finished his breakfast by the time mine arrived. The breakfast was ok but nothing special. No service - make your own coffee, toast your own toast etc. After we had eaten the plates were cleared and left in the corner of the room on top of the microwave for "later". We definitely wouldnt go again and definitely dont recommend it. How this place has been given three stars is beyond me. Unless of course it was 3 out of 15.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rothmans Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!