“21st Birthday celebrations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Billericay, England, United Kingdom
“21st Birthday celebrations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had a meal for my daughters 21st birthday there was 23 of us. Everything ran smoothly. The staff were friendly and the service was exceptional. Food was lovely and they made my daughters birthday go really well. Many thanks to everyone at Mary Green Manor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Romford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I booked a room for 2 on 4/4/13. I had a relationship breakdown so would not be wanting the room so I rang to cancel on 12/4/13 only to be told that as I prepaid £113.20 I would not be entitled to ANY refund of the money I have paid. The room was booked for 1 night on 19/7/13 so they would have had plenty of time to rebook the room. I feel this is very unfair and greedy. Some of that money was for breakfast, how can they justify keeping that money? It's not as if my booking of breakfast has lost them the opportunity of selling other breafasts is it? They having ordered my food in yet have they? Watch out, do not book unless you are prepared to gamble on life treating you well, we never know what is around the corner and some things in life cannot be forseen and this hotel cashes in on it. They kindly offered me the opportunity to cancel but not have any money back so they could double up on their takings - I reclined!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is the second visit to the restaurant at Marygreen Manor Hotel. On both occasions we had the set lunch menu and, on both occasions were pleased with the meal. Our last visit was on the 5th April and most of our party had the Lamb - it was delicious. The mushroom soup starter was also very good as well as the banana pudding desert. In all it was a good experience.

The waiting staff were also very good and I do like the Tudor decor.

The only slight criticism that I have is that the vegetables were a little too under done for me. I understand from one of our party, who likes it that way, that you can ask for your veg to be cooked more. Can I suggest that the waiter, when he takes your order, explains the way the Veg are served in Marygreen and that you have an option of having them cooked longer.

Otherwise I would recommend Marygreen for lunch - good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have stayed in their serviced apartment during few of my business trips.

To start with the booking staff are very helpful and responses are very quick, apartments are well maintained, cleaning is done only twice a week (daily cleaning is at extra cost), staffs are friendly, room service is pretty slow especially if there are issues relating to electronics.
Parking is quite spacious, however it gets clogged during weekends and wedding days.
Internet speed is good but not great. The hotel provides you unlimited internet.

Location wise, this hotel is little far from the Brentwood station (1.5 miles approx), High street is 1.1 miles and so are the supermarkets. Bus stop is right in front of the hotel and one can get a bus to Romford every 30mins (weekdays).

This hotel is amidst residential buildings, It is a good place to stay (both short and long stays) and I have always felt at home at Marygreen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Romford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We held our wedding here on Easter Sunday and couldn't have chosen a better venue!
It is absolutely gorgeous, having an old world charm about it, and made our day look three times more expensive than what it actually was. The garden and outdoor areas are also superb, although it was a bit cold for real enjoyment. Really worth a look!

The staff, particularly Cyril, were friendly and attentive in helping us plan our wedding, which was great as we hadn't a clue!

The staff also pulled together to ensure that our day went smoothly- our toastmaster (Michael Smith) being a massive help both before, during and after the ceremony. Lots of guests were very taken with him and would like to adopt him as a family member! He is amazing at what he does and really helped make the day perfect.

Similarly, the serving staff were outstanding. They congratulated us, and said goodbye before they finished their shifts, which really made us feel special :-)

We had use of two rooms for the day: the Samuel Pepys room for wedding breakfast and reception and the Henry VII suite for the ceremony, tea, and evening buffet. Both rooms were beautiful and very well organised, and it was like a magic trick how the rooms were quickly converted to different purposes. They really know what they are doing!

I keep saying positive things, but there is nothing to fault them. The food was luscious. I haven't eaten lamb cooked that well for years, and the dessert was absolutely divine. The reception buffet was of the same quality,as I've heard from several guests- I couldn't fit any more food in!

The reception had an excellent DJ, who played music to suit us and our guests, and our toastmaster was great in marshalling people together for the cutting of the cake and bouquet throwing :-)

The hotel accomodation is very good-I stayed in a Garden Room the night before to avoid the stress of travelling etc. It was beautiful. It was lovely to be able to look out onto the garden on a very special morning. I was also allowed to stay in this room later than usual to get ready, and when I was actually getting married, my things were taken to the honeymoon suite for me, which was brilliant. It really took the stress out of getting ready!

The honeymoon suite was amazing! A sitting room, a four-poster bed, and a jacuzzi bath all made our wedding night extra special. It also had that historic charm it would be very hard to get elsewhere locally.

We have been to more expensive weddings that aren't half as good as our one in terms of value for money and general ambience. We may be biased, but I will always recommend this hotel to people thinking of a wedding!

Room Tip: Garden rooms have a lovely view The Catherine of Aragon suite will be expensive, but is totally wor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch there today, 4 adults and 2 children 5 & 3. The children were made very welcome and although they don't have a children's menu they were very accommodating at a price (£12.00 for sausage & mash).
We ate from the a la carte menu and the food was good but not exceptional. My husband's lobster starter was a bit over cooked as was his medium rare duck. There was nothing to complain about but I have had much better.
At times we felt a bit rushed as the waitress was hovering to take our plates before everyone had finished. Having said that, when we asked for the bill we had to wait about 15 minutes. This wasn't a problem but seemed a bit odd considering the swift plate clearing.
Overall a pleasant meal.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

A group of us stayed for 2 nights and had a great time! The rooms are fab, the comfiest bed ever and the best shower! So much better than expected.
Great location and overall we all loved it.
If I ever needed a hotel in Brentwood again, I would 100% come back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marygreen Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!