“Needs to be updated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Needs to be updated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Thankfully we only stayed one night and only for sleeping, the room we had, being number 19, was overall rather dirty in terms of the carpet which had bad stains, looked like 'blood' in places, with the 2 chairs being worn and tired. The bed appeared clean and was quite comfortable, the shower area needed that 'little extra' on the cleaning front and the noise from the traffic outside should be noted from the A12 which is only short distance away.
Reception staff were friendly, we did not try the breakfast as we were time restrained but overall the cleanliness of the rooms need to be questioned from our experience - more like a 2 star facility therefore this should be reflected in the charges. The walkways leading to the rooms were outdated, in places rather dirty, personally I think it is due to the cleaning staff not taking too much care in their day to day duties which is so much in evidence these days wherever you go.
Being a Holiday Inn I was very surprised on the quality of the establishment having stayed in many on business trips Globally, is it the worse I have stayed at?, well yes which confirms what has been said by a previous reviewer based upon the cleanliness of the room especially the blood on the carpet which is unforgivable!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room A12 side of the hotel as noise can be disturbing during busy times.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear John C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

10 of us Ladies stayed at the Holiday Inn In Brentwood Last night and the Hotel was perfect for what we wanted. We arrived around 2pm and just by walking in the reception I knew it was going to be a good hotel to stay in for the night. We were able to check in Straight away and the receptionist's were very friendly, offering to change money for us from pound coins to notes for our Mini bus (In which they did not have to do). When we were walking up the corridor we could tell it was clean which is a main priority for me!!!

We had four rooms between 10 of us, in which we were all put next to each other. As we entered our hotel Rooms we were very impressed with how clean and spacious the room was, to be honest it is one of the best Hotels I've personally stayed in for a girls night out!! It had everything we needed... Plenty of room to hang up clothes, a double bed and also a single bed (as there were 3 of us in a room), A flat screen Tv, 3 mirrors (leaving us with one each to get ourselves ready in), A dressing table, The beds were comfortable and The bathroom was also a decent size. Also as we were put next to each other we were able to open a door from our room into our friends room which we found very good and were quite excited about!! (This is usually locked though if your not staying next to each other and the people next door cannot get through to your room unless you open it for them).

The only down side to the hotel we found was when we had drinks at the bar they were quite slow serving and as it got busy they only had 1 member of staff on. In the morning we all had breakfast which was quite expensive for what it was, we also had to wait at the bar for about 10 minutes before a member of staff came to serve us.

Overall I would 100% recommend this hotel and I will deffinately stay in it again when I return to Brentwood in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I felt I should review the Holiday Inn Brentwood as it seems to have had a bit of a slating on here and I think it's largely undeserved.

True, the hotel needs a fair bit of redecoration. However, I was in room 228 and it was spotlessly clean,quiet and the bed was comfortable. I love the blackout curtains which ensure that you are not woken up at dawn. I put a 'do not disturb' up and I was not disturbed. I know this might seem like a silly comment but I have often done this in the past only to be woken at 7 by vacuuming outside of my room!

Gemma checked me in and she was incredibly polite, friendly and she genuinely seemed happy in her work. She is a credit to the team. At breakfast all the servers were very friendly, nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with a smile. Whenever you passed a member of staff in the hotel they smiled and said hello. This is definitely not the case everywhere.

I used the swimming pool, steam room and sauna. Again, it is fair to say that the swimming pool area could use some redecoration but I did not let this put me off.

Yes, the walk in prices are pretty high but don't forget that this hotel is only half an hour from The City. Plus, I am sure most people book in advance online for a reasonable rate. I got my room plus breakfast for £80. I was also upgraded as my Priority Club status was recognised and I also got a free drink in the bar for the same reason.

I can imagine that this is a different hotel at the weekends but for the facilities and service I think it's good value for money. That's why I always stay here when I am in this area for business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I recently stayed in the hotel for a week and a half for a business trip. The overall experience was very poor.

The hotel is very dated and just old. The bed is very poor and not comfortable. The couch in the room was very worn and not comfortable. The window glass is thin and it seemed like it was open, such that I could hear everything in the car park.

The hallways and stairwells are also dated and dirty. I often saw dishes in the hall (from room service); the same dishes in the morning that I saw the night before. In the stairwell there was a ketchup packet on a step when I checked in, and it was still there when I checked out.

It snowed during my stay, and the hotel made no effort to clear the snow. Days after, it was still there, and we had to trudge through the slush on the way to the car.

The restaurant was good, but expensive for the food, and level of service. The Hotel does have a nice gym.

As a IHG Gold member, I have stayed in numerous Holiday Inn Hotels around the world, and this was, by far, the worst.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear dbier,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Brentwood hotels

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I had about 100 guests there 2-3 year's ago thought that the location was ideal as everyone was coming from every location and because it was a hotel guests were able to stay the night at a reasonable rate.
I'll start with the food the meat was supposed to be carved and was sliced with a meat slicer much like you'd see in a deli.the host was unable to cope and the waiting staff took half an hour to serve each course even though it was a preset menu.I was the groom and asked for some water with my food which took 15 minutes to arrive none of the tables were given water.only having one barman meant that there was a long wait at the bar there wasn't enough staff to cope with the demand and when I went to the kitchen too have a look I found one cook working on his own.the buffet was served an hour after the wedding breakfast to my shock and found the rice to be overcooked and the other items on the menu to be possibly knocked together probably 2 days before as the was no distinction from the vegetables and meat in the sauces(Chinese).I found out that there was another function on in the next room they started using our evening buffet then. I complained the morning after to a member of staff she said they were under staffed as they had another function (60th birthday).due too our honey moon I thought Id leave it until I was back to complain and I was told that the children were a nuisance and because I had not complained on the day I was not entitled to a refund and I was to be charged for the bottle of champagne and the room in which I had negotiated as a deal for the whole package.I hadn't even asked for the champagne to be left on the bed with two wine glasses!in addition this chef was also catering for another party at the same time so he was doing 100 plus at the least another 40 my disbelief in short cuts that the chef had to make after paying 7k + for a job poorly done astounds me.

• Stayed February 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear hairyspaniard,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apology for the unacceptable service you received and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, I have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your stay. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I use this hotel on a regular basis and stay here with my kids. Yes, sometimes it's a little noisy, but then where isn't in the price bracket, but the staff and managers have always been extremely helpful and accommodating. If there is an issue, I have talked it through and it has always been resolved amicably. The bar and restaurant are a nice and informal, friendly environment, and always make my boys feel welcome.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kolkata
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

It is an average hotel which is located just near to M25, but the service is below standard. For them, people from one country belong to one group, so if one indian does anything absurd, they think that whole Indian are not worth of staying in their hotel. The dont provide any cooking facility in the room but think a person can cook his meal in electric kettle which is provided for Tea/ Coffee. Due to this thinking they took the kettle from my room and the excuse was that when I stayed earlier I cook in the room and broke the kettle, whereas this is the first time I was in UK. Second I took the laundry service from then and that time I was told that I could pay at the time of checking out, but after few days, they block the access to my room and the reason was that I had to pay for the laundry service I took earlier before my keys are activate again. The wall are so thin, that everytime anyone talk outside your room during night you can hear their voice. I have been to US also several time and stayed in their group hotel- staybridge suites and even to some of Marriot Properties, but never seen this type of service.

Room Tip: Dont know as I haven`t seen other room, but mine was not good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear AnandJai,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are happy you found the location suitable. I apologize the experience you received was less than satisfactory. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience you experienced due to the services received. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Brentwood? Share your experiences!