“Contacted by Manager after complaint about service and quality” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #83 of 132 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: European
London, United Kingdom
“Contacted by Manager after complaint about service and quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I recently put an unfavourable review about the Black Horse of which I will not go into detail again even though that first review has now been taken off, but you only have to read all the other reviews about this establishment to see it has problems.

I was contacted by the manager who agreed with all that I had written and said that he was working hard to rectify the poor level of service and would be talking to the chefs in order to improve quality and delivery of orders to each table.

Visited October 2013

Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
“Not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My first visit, staff very pleasant but clearly overworked. I had the Forestiers Chicken, very small portion of overcooked chicken supposedly stuffed with cheese, I couln't find the cheese. Red wine gravy accompaniment was cold, asked for a hot one it was taken away and zapped in microwave still cold. Gave up. One mushroom and a spoonful of dried up cabbage made up the seasonal veg part of dish. My date had fish pie which also had some dried up cabbage with it. Shared a cheese board One glass of beer. £35. Won't be going back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Upminster, United Kingdom
“A really lovely enjoyable night.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was our first visit to the Black Horse but it will not be our last. Wanting a roast we opted for the half of chicken. The meat was succulent and moist really tasty. The vegetables a good mix of local fresh produce cooked to perfection. Our wine was a Chateunuef du pape 2010 which was silky and smooth, and we enjoyed a good Chablis with our desert.
The staff were really attentive and helpful even though they were rushed off of their feet, they put you at your ease. A lovely atmosphere had us staying 4 and half hours to sample the excellent desert menu and liqueur coffees. Highly recommended for food and attention to detail.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Never eating here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've eaten in The Black Horse a few times before and had good experiences but recently it has gone seriously downhill. I visited with my mother on a Saturday night. It took ages for anyone to take our drinks order, then another long wait for our drinks to arrive, then for our food order to be taken then even longer for our food to arrive. When the food came up it was clear that nearly everything had been microwaved and there was a long hair cooked into the middle of my chicken breast. The waiter took my food away and I ordered cod and chips instead. The chips were average and my microwaved mushy peas were half cold. They knocked 2 glasses of wine off of our bill but this was not to the same value as my meal that had hair in it. Avoid this pub if you want quality food!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was really disappointed with this restaurant.
We were a table of 8, on arrival we were ushered to our table as if they were rushed of their feet. Our drinks order was taken quickly and efficiently, but that's all I can say that was positive. The food was awful, I thought it was impossible to make a burger taste bad but they did it. The steak was just OK but slightly overshadowed by the enormous mushrooms taking over the plate. The risotto was all seafood and no rice. one of our fish dishes got sent back cold. One guest wanted something not on the menu, she requested a scallop and prawn salad - reluctantly this was produced but when requesting onion on the salad was informed everything in the kitchen comes pre packed there isn't one onion in the kitchen.

The wine was a great price, but I'm in shock that it was warm and we felt a like aliens when we complained that white wine needed to be cold.

the mezze platter was hideous - I could have done better with the leftovers in my fridge at home.

the baked brie was served with so much bread it could have fed the 5000.

No order was taken for desserts and we had to chase a coffee up more than once.

It was such a shame we were celebrating a special day and it was spoilt by the poor food and bad service.

luckily I had a 20% off voucher that I had found online but even with a 100% off voucher i'd never go back.

So disappointing