“lovely afternoon” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 104 Restaurants in Braintree
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Braintree offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Ridgewell, United Kingdom
“lovely afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Met 3 friends here at 4pm as one had youngster with them. Friendly staff, good service and lovely tasty fresh food. No complaints.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Nice food, fair service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at about 6.30pm and were seated quickly. We noticed the tables and chairs were very
simple and quite clinical, just wooden with no comfort. Orders were very quickly with no fuss. The waitress came back over informing us that they had run out of the melanzane! Which happens to be my mums favourite meal from the restaurant! Quite unusual that they didnt have enough considering it was the beggining of dinner service. So already upset as mum didnt fancy pizza, she decided to have the same as me.
Drinks arrived quickly after ordering, shortly followed by our starter which was a sharing starter of their famous baked dough balls with 3 dips on the side, it was very tasty! Just as I had expected. As it began to get increasingly busy coming up to 7pm it took the service staff a while to clear our starters. And there was a long wait for the main courses, maybe because of the melanzane issue? We both opted for the pollo pesto pasta, again was very delicious! Although the sliced onions were slightly raw, didnt bother us too much as we had both left the bowls clean! For desert I had the chocolate glory ice cream sundae which was to die for! Mum had the cheesecake and her only complaint about it was that she wanted more! So overall the food was very good and we shall definately be returning!

Visited June 2014
“Charred black calzone, Naf plastic dip containers & both ill after eating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I tried tweeting, but my tweets were deleted. My calzone was so black that they couldn't charge me for it. The dips were saved in Naf plastic containers that were more characteristic of a low rent takeaway. We were both immediately ill after eating, so I think there maybe hand hygiene issues. Never again. This chain has massively declined.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“good for a quick bite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Lovely waitress which made a nice change for the miserable front of house lady. Food was standard for a chain restaurant and did what we needed to get a bite to eat during a long journey

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Frozen, fraudulent and never again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

For many years, Pizza Express had been a restaurant that I neither liked or disliked. They wouldn't often get my custom, but when they did I never had a bad word to say about the experience or the- dare I say it- mediocre standard of food.

On the 3rd of May, my partner and I were shopping at the Freeport Village. We were enjoying a pleasant day out in the sunshine, doing a little retail therapy and feeling relaxed. This all changed when we decided we'd eat at Pizza Express. We wouldn't usually choose a Pizza Express (ChimiChanga, Wagamama... Heck, even Burger King could have provided us with a more enjoyable meal- and I'm pretty sure that the STAFF would have been a damn sight more pleasant, or at least tolerable.)

Essentially, there was a vouchercloud offer on at Pizza Express; "three courses for £13.75". Sounds reasonable, we thought. We have used Vouchercloud for years now and have never had a problem- most staff seem to understand how the system works. Before heading into the restaurant, my partner and I checked the terms and conditions. These T&C's did not state the assumption (that three courses referred to a starter, main and desert). On arrival, we queried this with a friendly member of staff who told us that the offer refered to any three DISHES on the menu- he told us that we could use the offer to have two mains and a desert/starter.

After a long wait, the starter arrived. It was garlic bread, allegedly. I'd call it a dough lump with some cheese melted on it. The dough tasted as if it had been frozen and the centre was cold. It was disappointing; I'd struggle to feed such a thing to my dog, let alone a paying customer. Then, after another hideously long wait, our mains arrived. Like the unfriendly, sour faced waitress serving us, the food was vile. My partner had a Sloppy Giuseppe which was cold, under seasoned and gave him a nasty stomach ache. I had one of their "500 calorie" pizzas which was equally as grotesque- it was also stone cold and covered in a lettuce salad, doused in a Caesar dressing. When I asked the waitress about the salad, she told me that they put some mixed leaves in the middle of the pizza. There was no mention of lettuce or Caesar salad dressing, two things I cannot stomach at the best of times.

After the awful meal, we went to get the bill. The same sour faced woman served us after waiting about half an hour for any recognition from her or the lazy staff and manageress, who all sat around chatting. When it came to paying, we produced the Vouchercloud code. The waitress told us that in order to pay for the meal, we'd have to buy two desserts. I have never heard that one before! We felt we'd been ripped off and told her that we wanted to pay. After going around in circles over the desert situation, we showed her the T&C's. She then demonstrated a very poor standard of English- she seemed to struggle with reading the text so much that she began to point out words she knew, like "Gluten Free", which had nothing to do with our orders at all. At this point, I was frustrated but also sympathetic towards her, and asked politely if we could speak to the friendly gentleman who originally served us. Instead of this, we got the vile manageress, "Ruth".

Ruth snatched my partner's phone, without asking permission to hold the phone, and half heartedly flicked through the T&C's. She told us to buy a desert. We told her we wanted to pay. Another tedious argument occurred. We told her what we had been told by our original server but she refused to listen. Instead, Ruth began to patronise us both, telling us what a three course meal was. We're both, if you pardon the pun, seasoned "foodies" and know about dining, so this lecture became even more pointless than it was in the first place. At this point, my partner cut Ruth off and again told her what we had been told before ordering our food. She then went on about imaginary legal obligations and we were brow beaten into ordering a mediocre desert, as both Ruth and the sour-faced waitress insisted it would make our food bill cheaper.

The bill, when we finally got it, was cheaper by 5 pence. By this point, we'd wasted the best part of two hours in the place. Once desert was thrown down on the table by Ruth, we then sat for another half an hour waiting for the plates to be cleared. By this point it was 4pm and the place was dead. I made eye contact with Ruth several times, only to be smirked at whilst she and the others lazed around, getting the gentleman that severed us in the first place to run around and clean up the empty tables by himself. He was then called over and chastised by the Ruth about these imaginary T&C's before coming over to apologise. We told him that it wasn't his fault but that we'd be taking matters further, which we did. When we left the restaurant, we were given no eye contact or response from Ruth or the rest of the staff. We then went to a Costa and received brilliant service, which made us feel a little less ripped off about our day.

We took the matter up with Pizza Express HQ, who couldn't seem to stop apologising about what happened. They told us that whilst the T&C's were misleading, the offer referred to three DISHES. This meant that our two mains and a starter combo entitled us to the vouchercloud discount, meaning the meal should have cost us around £15 with drinks, as opposed to the £29.05 we paid. Pizza Express told us that the manageress's actions were fraudulent. We were given vouchers and a refund.

To anyone who considers eating out here, beware. The food is dire and the staff will try to rip you off for every penny.

• Visited May 2014