“Exceptional Food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Braintree
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Popped in mid morning for lunch with my mother, the bar staff were slightly messy looking but efficient all the same. The food was delightful! my mushrooms followed by fish was really lovely! i often go to various green king establishments, and this was by far the best meal i have enjoyed out of them all. Likey to return with more friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back with your friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Essex, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I know this venue from old, my mother worked here many years ago so when I found out I was going to be staying here for a night for a friends daughters wedding I was looking forward to it.

Whilst being in the main a 17th Century Building with a mountain of history and a 'quaintness' that is hard to find, the room I was placed in was a disgrace!

In fact, it was so dirty I got up and went shopping early the following morning for cleaning materials before I got in the shower. Both the shower glass and stainless steel control and head was covered in limescale and there was more mould than a ten week old rotting apple!

There was a thick layer of dust over the lampshades, the bed head stead, pipework etc. and the carpet actually did not even cover the gripper rod in one point and I trod on it getting a nice half dozen little holes in my foot...!

Thank God the service was better than the quality or standard of the room. The Management need to have a serious word with housekeeping/maintenance - I am not obsessively clean at home but would have been embarrassed to let anyone stay in a room in my house that was HALF as bad as this room.

Room Tip: I have no idea what the other rooms were like, room 28 however is one to miss unless you take your m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at White Hart on 14th August. Have eaten there before and this time was disappointed with the service or lack thereof waited 35 for a starter of Deep Fried White Bait OMG how long does it take to cook White Bait? the restaurant was very quiet so was bar area. Other meals came out on time value good, very noisy pub in fact very very noisy room was basic, Matress sank on one side toward the floor curtains next to useless, noise went on until about 0100 bar was very noisy until 2330 then they decided it ok to have boozy conversation in both hallway and parking area. Never again.

• Stayed August 2013
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience at The White Hart Hotel. Thank you for your feedback and we will deal with the issues that you have raised
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at White Hart Hotel recently with my family in a family room. The service was terrific & I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. It is very old & charming. Just the experience I was looking for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We always appreciate feedback from guest visits so thank you for taking the trouble to write a review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope you return soon.
witham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently had dinner here with my partner, I was so impressed with the food that I felt it needed reviewing! I had a southern fried chicken burger and it was yummy! I've also been to a wedding event here and the food for that was certainly something to be impressed by.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food on your visit. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your meal and look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon.
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in Braintree with a group of 9 women travelling. The White Hart is the perfect location - only an hour into London by rail, and walking distance to wonderful market, and shopping - the perfect small English village with a true cultural, yet modern feel.
The White Hart is superb - the new owners have worked diligently to upgrade and make your stay comfortable.
The staff very friendly and most helpful - the owner actually delivered all the suitcases to our rooms !
The food is excellent with incredible value - but many choices for all different food styles.
I fully recommend this when heading to Essex - it's a great spot for day trips around the area - easy access to major roads.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
It was a pleasure to have your party stay with us and we thank you for your lovely comments. We hope that you get a chance to come back and visit us again after our refurbishment in October/November. We are always happy to help guests with their luggage if required - it keeps Steve fit!
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at about 1pm not expecting to be able to book in before 2pm but this was no problem as we were booked in and allowed to put bag in room, even if it hadn't been made up yet. As it happened it was ready and plenty big enough and well equipped for our stay. Very clean with tea/coffee making facilities. Reception, bar and kitchen staff all very friendly and helpful.

Hotel is very central so we had no problem finding anywhere. Car parking free with a ticket obtained from reception on arrival. No problems at all and had a very pleasant stay - would recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to The White Hart Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!