“Review by Richard R - family involvement” 1 of 5 stars

The Old Vine
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Cousley Wood, Wadhurst TN5 6ER, England   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Wadhurst B&B and Inns
Lamberhurst
“Review by Richard R - family involvement”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I feel that I should add further clarification to this review.
The family had made clear that they would be arriving late - which is why they were given a key. They were there shortly after midnight - not an excessive hour surely for a family party to end?
None of the party were drunk. They had drunk responsibly having children, (one of them a Downs child) about whom they are always conscientious. I collected them from outside the Vine to drive them to our home and can attest to their conduct.
RIchard phoned the police from our house to report the incident which is why police subsequently visited the pub. Any finger prints on glass arose from tapping on the window to try and attract attention. The idea that they were seeking to break in is laughable.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went on a bit of a road trip,Friday in London then on to Royal Tunbridge Wells.We were booked in to the old vine in wadhurst,which is about six miles outside of Tunbridge wells. The pub is a little gem. Our room was a good size with a great bathroom (the shower was brilliant and much needed with hot weather we had). We both had fish and chips for our evening meal which was spot on and so was the breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I checked into the B&B on Sunday 7th July and had a very pleasant drink in the bar, we were informed that the landlady and landlord where out at a barbeque so we did not meet them. After our family party nearby when we returned the access door was locked and bolted and we could not gain access. I assume they forgot they had 'guests'. Seeing a light on I tried to raise the attention of the landlord and was subject to extreme abuse and threats of violence. My family and I were refused entry even though my younger children were very cold. Luckily we managed to stay with family members nearby. This was a thoroughly unpleasant experience and I can only hope it was an isolated incident. Family members who live in the area and recommended the Old Vine to me will not be returning.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Traceyprice, Owner at The Old Vine, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank You for your review when you checked you were issued a key because you explained you were going to a party and would be back at 12 being a Sunday evening the pub closes at 10.30pm however we made an exception handing out a key after this experience this will not happen again
At 1.45am we were woken by other guests that people were shouting outside the business and attempting to climb through guests bedroom windows causing great upset to there children
The landlord then found a teenager trying to climb through the landlords flat upstairs window and was told to get down.
Following a barrage of abuse from this teenager who was obviously drunk along with other members of the party the decisicion was made for the safety of other guests not to let them in.
The party returned on the Monday morning to collect there belonging when it then became clear that they were actually 6 people staying in two rooms! We did not charge for the rooms losing us revenue details were passed to Sussex police who visited the property and after discussions with the owners on the Monday we were quite within our rights to prosecute for illegal entry as finger prints were all over upstairs window we decided to forget this as a very bad experience
We are no longer excepting bookings on Sunday nights due to distress to our family.
We are a quiet country pub and do not want to attract customers who think they can use us as a low budget city centre hotel for the safety of all guests and family the pub will be locked by 12.00 and no entry will be allowed any later.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My family and I stayed at The Old Vine the night before my wedding in the area. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant the night before. The landlady was so friendly and really looked after us. The rooms are all modern and very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious and just what I needed to start the day. We went back for Sunday lunch with more family the same weekend and the food was one again delicious and very reasonably priced. The old vine is a very pretty country pub with open fireplace and a nice outside pub garden. I would highly recommend this pub for a weekend stay or a nice meal. I will definitely be back the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Wonderfully charming throughout - this was high end food and service at super prices. Lovely bedrooms, and super breakfast that even came as we woke up late!
The evening meal was spectacular and the staff are just lovely. I shall return! Will

• Stayed June 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed recently at the Old Vine and had a really good time. Gillian and her husband were very hospitable and the rooms were nice and modern. The food was also good value and the pub had a good atmosphere.

The location was great for exploring the local area e.g. you can walk to Bewl Water; Scotney Castle and Bedgebury Pinetum are a short drive away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Spent 1 night at The Old Vine on Monday 22 April. Room was modern, comfortable, warm and large with it's own ensuite. Our family of 3 had a great stay in this quaint and friendly pub. The hosts Gillian and Matthew were very welcoming. Dinner by the open fire was lovely as was breakfast the following morning. Would thoroughly recommend this pub/B&B to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Old Vine? Share your experiences!