“What a good find!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bull Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ticehurst
The Bull Inn
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“What a good find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Short and sweet:

Archetypal Olde Worlde country inn.

Friendly welcome.

Homely atmosphere

Good selection of beers

Super food

Excellent value

Although I've no reason to stay over, with my daughter living in the village, The Bull is perfect for a bite to eat and a good pint. Looking forward to the next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This place is roughly halfway on the round Bewl path and an excellent find. TIP: Time it to be here for lunch or just a refreshing drink. It will set you up to dash off those last few miles home. It's a perfect mix of tradition and friendly people. Stone floors so boots and dogs are OK. Food is great and the wood fire is just what you want to see.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Chilli is excellent, one of the best I have ever had. Nice play area outside for children. A proper country pub with good service.

Interesting car park, large car park at rear but almost a hidden secret.

Bonfire looks good for fireworks night...

Stayed October 2013
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Love The Bull. Have friends nearby and go there now and then. The owners are great - Very dry sence of humor and very friendly. Dogs are very welcome and so are kids. Food is great, beer and wines are great and it's one of those places that is busy with sounds of people chatting and laughing. Great gardens in the summer too and fires in the winter. I prefer to eat in the bar area if poss but the restauant is nice too. It's a very busy place so be prepared to wait a bit in the usual busy times - You gotta love it...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

A friend, I and her son were doing a bike ride round Bewl Water. We parked in their car park at 12.15 and I went in to ask about lunch when we'd finished. They advised us to reserve a roast and booked a table for 2.00 pm. We set off. By 1.45 we'd only got (what we thought) was 2/3rds of the way round. I phoned and asked if they could hold the reservation until 2.30. They said fine. We didn't get there until 3.30! They'd saved our roasts, served it up and only charged us £20 for 3 meals as they'd run out of yorkshire puddings and parsnips. The meal was hot, the veg was fresh and the large glasses of iced water were very welcome. This is service above and beyond. We turned up after they'd finished service and even though they'd sold out of roasts by 1.30, they still kept the 2 we'd ordered. A lovely, real pub - Can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We visited Bewl Water on Bank Holiday Monday for the first time. We spoke to the staff at the cycle hut and they showed us the map of the reservoir and said there is a pub halfway round. This gave us an incentive to ride the 5 1/2 miles! The food was so delicious I would have ridden 10 miles to get there! We had calamari starter which was very generous and plenty for 2 people to share, I had tuna with pesto mash and roasted vine tomatoes which was melt in the mouth! My husband had scampi which was very fresh tasting and my son had a very generous portion of ham, egg and chips. In total it came to £32 which was good value I thought for the food we got. The staff were so friendly and the pub had a lovely atmosphere to it. The only bad thing was I had to get on my bike and cycle 5 1/2 miles back on a full stomach! Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We usually visit this pub for the good pint of Harvey's Best on offer, and the children's play area at the back. Four parts to this pub. Inside to the left is the 'dining area', to the right the drinking part. Outside to the front is the adult's bit, and the back is the large field area with plenty of space for the children to play ball games, and a play area of swings, slides etc. That is what's good about this pub. It pleases everyone, with their own area, and therefore manages to upset no one.
If you don't like children at the pub, don't sit out back!
However, on this visit to the pub, two Great Aunt's were down from London, so we ate. It's a long time since we ate here, so I was interested to see what was on offer. Having previously looked at the menu's on the web site, I was initially put off by the prices, which I initially though to be a bit steep. On reflection, I guess this is probably because I am a bit of a dinosaur, still living in the '80's along with it's prices. We had two steak and kidney puddings, two children's Ham, Egg, and Chips (one for one of the great aunt's, who although being a long, long way from being a child, had a similar appetite). I don't know if this was actually allowed, as some places actually have a stipulation that a child's meal must be eaten by a child, although no one asked. It's actually a pretty good idea though.
One of the children had an adults cheese panini, so I guess everything was evened out...
The cost of the panani at £7.50 seemed a bit steep, but I guess it was pretty large. The £10 steak and kidney puddings were actually pretty good value. I think you actually get what you pay for. The best value was the children's Ham, egg and chips.
The great aunt's bough a couple of deserts for the children. I don't know how much they cost, and I don't 'do' desert myself, but they actually looked pretty good. I don't suppose they were home made, but if they were, compliments to the pastry chef. If not, it still scored all the points with the children., And the adults.....
We had one chocolate moose, and one hot sticky toffee pudding with ice cream.
We have been here often, but never reviewed it before: In winter, this place is great for a beer or two in front of the real fire, in summer it;s great for a beer or two, sitting outside looking at the great views. The food does seem worth the price, whatever the season, and certainly better value than other nearby establishments.
The only strange thing we found was that they would not deliver food to the children's play area tables, due to some health and safety issue. (I wish I had asked what). The food was delivered to a table just outside the back door, to which we had to keep an eye on, and then we could pick up the food ourselves, and take it to our tables. The apparent health and safety issues did not extend to clearing the plates, or to delivering the desert. (one hot, and one cold). very odd, but there you go.
Overall, a good place to go, and certainly the best in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Bull Inn? Share your experiences!