“Perfect base for a Special Occasion!” 5 of 5 stars

Bell Inn Ticehurst
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   High Street, Ticehurst TN5 7AS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Ticehurst B&B and Inns
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Perfect base for a Special Occasion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My Fiancé & I chose The Bell to accommodate our friends and family for our Wedding Weekend, Friday 17th-Sunday 19th May 2013.
We loved the setting, the wacky luxury of the interiors and the proximity to our wedding venue.

Organising our stay was easy and very efficiently managed by Lottie, who was always only an email away. Some of our guests arrived before us & were able to check in with ease & in the rooms allocated to them. The bar is welcoming & full of unusual features, many of which became talking points during our stay, the men's toilets in particular.

Our group all ate a 'last supper' at the stable table, the room is a wonderful space & it was great to have everyone together around one table in a private setting.
The food was fantastic, everyone enjoyed their choices, my rare steak was cooked perfectly & the triple cooked chips were a hit with all who ordered them. Similarly there was a really good choice of breakfast options hot and cold, the cooked breakfast, eggs Florentine & eggs benedict proved the most popular with our group.

The rooms were all found to be clean and comfortable, many of our guests commented on how well they slept here. The staff were all friendly, enthusiastic and helpful, special mentions to Stuart for ensuring my Maid of Honour & I had breakfast brought to our room on the morning of the Wedding. And to Harry, who dealt with Best Man Rabs jibes very well & could not do enough for us. The staff all worked very hard to make our weekend smooth and anxiety free, to which we are extremely grateful.

The Bell is a very special place, beautiful rooms, delicious food and fantastic people.
Jason & I are already looking forward to coming back for a visit on our first wedding anniversary.
The Bell was a perfect choice for accommodation during our wedding weekend, I would not hesitate in recommending this venue to anyone. Thank you Bell team!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Found by chance via Secret Escapes my wife and i had a lovely overnight break.The highlight was the excellent massage with Shelly the therapist in our room,pure bliss and very relaxing.The food was delicious too.The unique style of the rooms was well considered and bed super comfy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a find! The Bell Inn is an amazing place to stay and eat. Found by chance when it came up on Secret Escapes but am so glad we booked. Our room was lovely - the silver birch tree, the deep copper bath, the tiles around the wash basin. So quirky! The offer we took advantage of included a 40 minute spa treatment each. We selected a massage and this was done in our room by the therapist. So relaxing and a perfect way to celebrate our anniversary. We had also booked a table for dinner and were so glad as it was really busy! The food was superb and not overpriced. The staff were attentive without being intrusive and very polite. Such a refreshing change. After a wonderful sleep in the room - named the Benefit of the Doubt, we enjoyed a filling breakfast served in the Stable. All guests share a long table down the middle of the old stables. A good mix of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, sweet pastries, bread (to make your own toast) as well as a choice of hot breakfast dishes. We both enjoyed our stay immensely and would recommend this country venue to anyone who enjoys to stay in places that are unique. Certainly a break to remember (for all the right reasons)!

Room Tip: Benefit of the Doubt faces the High Street but was not noisy. Only a short flight of stairs to get...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Bell was advertised as part of a Secret Escapes deal, and online it looked like a quirky, fun but luxurious place to spend an extended weekend. I booked it as a surprise for my boyfriend, and the deal included a glass of bubbly on arrival, two 40 minute spa/therapy treatments, bed and breakfast. Unfortunately when we did arrive the Secret Escapes offer seemed totally forgotten.

Maybe we were the first guests who had taken it up, but we waited hours before prompting a waiter at dinner about our complimentary glass of bubbly. We had booked our massages for 6pm and 6.40 but therapist was over an hour late, though a courteous staff member called Johnny came up to our room to apologise for the delay. Our masseuse eventually arrived, but whilst I got a lovely 40 minute treatment my boyfriend only got 20 at the most! She was conscious of our dinner reservation and hurried off downstairs. She did however make every effort to clean up our bathroom after the badly-designed shower flooded everywhere, getting our belongings soaking wet, which was kind of her.

We had a lovely breakfast the next morning, but checked out feeling very un-special and rather disappointed, after a once-friendly and apologetic Johnny gave us our receipt, curtly took payment for our over-priced dinner tab and said goodbye without even asking us if we enjoyed our stay. Frankly, we didn't.

The Bell had some lovely staff, did good food and they have genuinely tried to offer something a bit different...but the pub just doesn't marry up with the hotel side of things. Despite ringing up before we set off to confirm the details, no-one seemed to communicate and our masseuse's comment that she didn't even know she had us booked in kind of sums it up. Don't come here just to stay in The Bell in itself, only as a nice bed for the night on your way elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My boyfriend took me here for my birthday in March 2013. A friend of ours had recommended this place to us a while ago so I was really excited to finally go! I have a big love roll-top bathtubs so when we saw the rooms on the website with the copper bathtubs, I was delighted! We specifically booked 'The Benefit of the Doubt' room because of this bathtub! (Sad, I know).

We left from London and arrived in Wadhurst only to find the bus was every hour and not regular - a mistake on our part for not looking into it more. We called the hotel to ask if they could give us a taxi number, we were given a mobile number of someone who didn't answer, we then called the hotel back and they gave us another number of which the guy wasn't available to pick us up, we then called the hotel a third time and they then gave us another number. The very lovely Chris (the local taxi guy) came and collected us about 45 mins after we arrived at the station.

My only gripe about this is that it was freezing cold outside, we were in the middle of nowhere and it would have been nice if the hotel could have called the taxi people for us instead of the constant to-ing and fro-ing. Not something they are required to do but it would have been a nice touch and perhaps its something for them to think about and it might be useful to put on the website; some local taxi numbers or how to get there if you don't drive.

We arrived at the pub/hotel, it's one of those lovely old places that you walk into and feel like you've stepped back in time. There was a log fire going in the pub and it felt really lovely.

We soon were escorted to our room. We walked in and it looked lovely; huge bed, table, lounger, big bay window.. walked into the bathroom and realised it didn't have the bathtub I wanted! We soon realised we had been put into the wrong room and were in 'The Hush of the Trees'. After a small deliberation my partner went down to mention we were in the wrong room - the room we were in was beautiful, but it wasn't what we were expecting.

A long story short is that there had been a mix up with our room and another guest had either stayed on an extra day in the room we were supposed to have or were given it by accident; they showed us to some other rooms and offered us our pick but we decided to stay where we had been put. I'm not going to lie, this was disappointing, but we decided to make the most of the stay.

On to dinner! We ate at The Bell and all I can say is; it was fantastic! Genuinely. I can't find a single fault with it. Our host/waiter was so lovely and accommodating, he presented us with 2 glasses of Prosecco before our meal as an apology for the room mix up which I thought was a really nice touch. I had the steak and my partner had the pork; both were cooked to perfection. Our desserts were also lovely and the wine was a great match for our meal. The atmosphere and ambience was just perfect and they have done a lovely job in the dining room. My only annoyance was the 2 rude businessmen next to us talking about their investments on their Macbooks - yawn!

We enjoyed the bath, the shower was lovely and the bed was very comfortable. The only downside to our room is that it was at the front of the building so there was a little noise from the road but nothing major or noticable during the night and I'm a light sleeper!

Breakfast was included in our rate; we ate in the Stable which was another fantastic room! There were cereals, juice, tea and coffee as well as bread and pastries out for breakfast. We were also offered a cooked breakfast. We both took the full English; my partner enjoyed his although I couldn't help but feel it tasted a lot like it had been cooked with lard - not sure if it was just me though! It was definitely no where near the standard of the dinner the night before. Although it was still lovely, our waitress was great too and the selection made up for it.

Upon departure we were given a discount from our bill for the mix up with the room which again was a nice touch and we appreciated this gesture given it was my birthday trip.

Overall, a really enjoyable stay. SO lovely to go here and get out of London even if only for a night. We would definitely treat ourselves and return again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed two nights in February, the moon wild room, very impressed with room. Food was great although service not so good, had to keep trying to flag someone down for any service, Lights in the restaurant need to be changed, seriously too bright, had to move tables so as not to face them. First night were kept awake until at least 1ish by the staff downstairs having after work jollies! Then to be awoken next morning 7.30 ish with a beer barrel delivery right outside our room!, second nights sleep was better. Breakfast was very good. Over all a lovely setting, quirky, good food, friendly but not very experienced staff. We would stay again, and would recommend, I think we were unlucky with our first night!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great ambiance, interesting and quirky but a few let downs.
We were here for my partners birthday having booked a special offer through Secret Escapes. The offer included a glass of fizz on arrival (which I had to chase) and a 40 minute treatment each (which I also had to chase and found that there was a complete mess up on the timings). The treatment itself was good although I'm not a big fan of being treated in the bedroom - it would be a much more relaxing experience to have a separate (small) spa area.
The room was great (we were in Smiles & Memories) - we loved the bathroom tiles, the shower was heavenly and some of the small touches in the room like the typed up story about the Bell & the link with Rudyard Kipling and the forks used as coat hooks, were wonderful.
We didn't find the room noisy at all despite there being a live singer on the Thursday night (who was also great) but we were surprised at how young most of the audience in the bar were (a bit too much teenage angst for my liking!).
Service from the bar staff and staff in the Stable restaurant in the evening was very good. I had requested that our dessert came with a small candle / cake or equivalent to help celebrate my partners birthday and despite having a phone call in the morning to confirm that was possible, it never happened which was a bit disappointing. Breakfast was a bit like being in an episode of Fawlty Towers with the lady taking breakfast orders seemingly unable to take food orders at your table but instead, insisting that we shouted our food order across the crowded breakfast room! She did a similar thing to everyone else (as well as telling one couple off for being 5 minutes late) so that by the end of breakfast, we knew exactly what everyone was eating! Not the most relaxing of experiences (although the food was good)!
So in summary - good but a little way to go to make it great.

Room Tip: Smiles and memories is apparently the suite and has a nice balcony over the pub garden. It's al...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bell Inn Ticehurst? Share your experiences!