“2 Overnight stays with work” 5 of 5 stars

The Brickwall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Green, Sedlescombe TN33 0QA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sedlescombe
Manchester
“2 Overnight stays with work”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Very nice place, largish rooms (considering my company forces me to share a twin room with my work colleague), pleasant staff and easy to find. The room had free wifi & a decent size flatscreen, good shower as well. The breakfast was excellent but the evening meals were way out of my price range, I ate in the pub down the road.

Room Tip: I can't comment on this section
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Blackmore, Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Over the past few years we have gone to the Brickwall Hotel for a 2 night New Year break. The staff are always very welcoming and it's interesting to note that many have been there for a number of years.

Entertainment on New Year's Eve is provided by a former member of Procol Harum (for those of you of that era) and his success can be measured by the packed dance floor, particularly at midnight! An added bonus is the firework display on the front lawn of the hotel. The food is always excellent with plenty of choice at breakfast. Whilst the rooms are not luxurious, they are comfortable and kept very clean.

We always have a good time and have booked again for New Year's Eve 2012. We are also contemplating returning in the summer months when we can better enjoy the surrounding beautiful countryside.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
West Midlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Went to East Sussex to deliver family xmas presents and we all went to the Brickwall for pre xmas lunch. Excellent meal, staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurant was packed but food was served with ease and piping hot! Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Didn't stay but intend to in the summer
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
east sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We recently held a special birthday celebration in the conservatory. (None of us stayed so I cannot comment on the rooms etc). When we booked in January, we were informed that there would be no other large bookings in the main restaurant. Imagine my surprise, when 2 weeks before the event when I went out to discuss final arrangements, I was informed that there was a party of 50 booked for the same time. I was only told this when I was confirming the location for the welcome drinks and was told that we would be put in the guest lounge upstairs and not in the large lounge downstairs. I had specifically wanted the large lounge as we had a party ranging in age from 2 weeks up to 90 years+. I wanted plenty of space for toddlers to run around. I was told that the guest lounge would be more than adequate. Fortunately, it was a lovely day so we could use the outside space as well but,had it been raining it would have been unbearable.
The conservatory is almost unbearable when the sun is out. Why on earth the hotel has not invested in blinds I cannot understand. Instead they have very large sun umbrellas arranged around the room which take up space and could be a trip hazard.
In the main, the food was good although we all found the choice of vegetables both limited and strange. Carrots and celery in a sauce. Many people do not like celery and certainly do not like it in a sauce. We have had a number of celebrations out there over the years and this is the first time that the vegetable selection has been so small. Is it because they were so busy. We later found out that there were 2 large bookings for the evening as well. I had checked that it would be alright to stay on after the meal and guests might like to sit and chat and have further drinks. However, when my son tried to order a drink from the bar he was informed in no uncertain terms that the bar was closed. This was by the older gentleman who I think might be the owner. My son persisted and was eventually served by somebody. It seems that the hotel does not know when to limit numbers and they need to be careful that people are not put off by not having the service they had arranged months before. I think we will be looking for another venue for family celebrations.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
BrickwallHotel, Manager at The Brickwall Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
We are very saddened by this review as on this day we felt the service had gone very well and at no point did anyone inform us that there was a problem.

We regularly cater for 100 guests or more at both lunchtime and for evening meals and to cater for two parties of 30 and 50 on one sitting is a weekly occurrence for us.

At no point would the guests have been told that there would be no other parties booked in on the same day, we can seat more than 100 covers and would most certainly not reserve the entire restaurant for just 30 people. At the time the booking was made there may well have been no other reservations but this is not a guarantee that other reservations will not be taken.

Our chef changes menus daily as we try to vary our selection of dishes including the vegetables of which we always serve one in a cream sauce. Unfortunately no specific requests were made by the organisers of this party, had they been we would of course have catered to their requests.

We feel that the comments about our Garden Room conservatory are somewhat misplaced considering the organiser specifically requested this room for the function. We have never had any other complaints regarding our choice to use parasols, which are more in keeping with our setting, in this room as opposed to over bearing out of character retractable blinds. Also, although we do not close as such and do not ask guests to leave by a certain time we would expect that lunch guests would be considerate of the fact that we have to re-lay and prepare our restaurant for evening service by 6.00pm.

We always try our hardest to accommodate our guests and provide a faultless service, and feel quite disheartened by this review.
eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

this Hotel has everything, lovely setting staff very friendly the restaurant is a must food was brilliant

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Warsash, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I have been very loath to put in this review mainly because I feel that once you have tried this hotel you will go back again and again and it will be fully booked when I want to go.It is without doubt one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure of staying in.The staff,food ,cleanliness and setting are brilliant and make you want to stay longer ,which my wife and I have done a number of times in the past.All I can say is try it you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Pretty village in beautiful countryside. Enjoyed a relaxed weekend and appreciated the use of pool, garden and comfortable lounge. Room (in new part) was pleasant and equipped with all that we needed.
Staff were very helpful, friendly and professional.
Breakfast slot was slightly short but quality of meal was exceptional. Excellent choice of buffet and hot food - individually cooked and very efficiently served.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Brickwall Hotel? Share your experiences!