“Restaurant fantastic - didn't sleep over!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Middle House

The Middle House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mayfield
The Middle House
High Street, Mayfield TN20 6AB, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Mayfield B&B and Inns
Sussex
“Restaurant fantastic - didn't sleep over!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Gorgeous meal with tasty extras. We shared the duo duck starter, wild venison and lamb cassoulet, and only just had room for the lemon curd and raspberry roulade with tuile and raspberry sorbet etc. Really nice surroundings in a pretty grade 1 listed building, with period houses throughout the village, and stunning views.
Couldn't fault it - except for perhaps a fondness of herb bouquet! Will certainly return here- the best meal we've had in the UK this year!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Stafford, Great Britain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Arriving as a party of 3 without a booked table at 1315hrs on a Saturday, the bar was packed with diners and a few drinkers. We chose our food and drinks, and they were served promptly, and obviously cooked to order. The fish cakes (2 per person) were first class, with some interesting sauces. I had gammon, eggs and chips, which were also very tasty. The roll and butter was also very tasty, with freshly baked bread.

The apple juice was individually bottled from Kent apples, and was far better quality than the usual supermarket offerings in 1 litre packets. The total cost was £31.25.

This was my first visit to Mayfield, and to this establishment, and I certainly hope to dine there again when I am next in East Sussex. Overall a very enjoyable meal.

• Stayed March 2011
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Just to say that although this is a wonderfully appointed old pub & hotel, I was
personally disappointed today when we had lunch there. The young bar staff were
a bit forgetful and the seafood 'quiche' I ordered was so minimal (small & thin), I thought they had made a mistake - very poor value for the price. Also the way the salad was served it was almost like eating hard spaghetti, as the beetroot and other vegetables were served in fine coils which you couldn't get hold of!
I did mention the size of the quiche helping to one member of staff but it went unnoticed, and we certainly will not be holding a larger luncheon event there, as originally planned.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Our last nights visit once again proved that the Middle House has got it right even in these hard times. The bar was packed and exuded a friendly, buzzy atmosphere and the restaurant was full!
The young staff led by Nick are always friendly and helpful and the service is almost too quick from the kitchen. The adventurous menu is built round local produce and has never disappointed.
On a Monday night the carvery is terrific and great value.
We will return again and again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
East Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

The previous review, from Joe Santini, incensed me so much that I feel obliged to comment. My wife and I regularly travel from Hastings to Mayfield to enjoy lunch at The Middle House, especially in the summer when one can eat in the garden. As this journey is 27 miles on country roads, it must be worth it, as I pass many other reasonable eateries on the way.
The Middle House is in the centre of Mayfield village opposite the church. It is a pleasant East Sussex village and is no more in the middle of nowhere than any other rural village. It has a high percentage of wealthy London commuters and is in a very affluent area, so the Middle House does get its share of wealthy customers.
The food produced by the excellent chefs is not cheap and nasty but is of a high standard, large portions and in my opinion reasonable value. If you think its expensive try the home made Steak, Harvey’s Ale and Mushroom Pie topped with Short Crust Pastry and served with Fresh Market Vegetables and Potatoes (£9.95) and then dare to say its not great value. I do not need a starter or pudding if I opt for this - and I am a big eater.
Despite an extensive menu, including constantly changing 'specials' boards, my wife and I have yet to be disappointed with any dish we have chosen over the years, and there are not many venues that can match this level of consistency. Most places are only as good as the current chef but The Middle House has managed to maintain its high standards over the years despite staff changes.
The predominantly young staff are keen, eager to please and extremely polite and friendly. Customers cover the entire spectrum of village life but I have yet to notice a plethora of Hooray Henrys and have yet to encounter a drunk, although I am sure that it does occur. You do get the odd TV personality who may generate a certain amount of polite interest and I am sure that some customers are well heeled stock brokers, but most customers are pretty ordinary and can hardly be described as stupid.
I have been eating here since 2002 and wrote the following review on the "beerintheevening" website in 2003 - "Live in Hastings and only went to this pub by accident and discovered that the food is so good that, although it is far from where I live, I am now always willing to go out of my way to eat there."
Nothing has changed, so go and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

We took my elderly parents here for Sunday lunch today, and I was so impressed I decided to put a review on here straight away.
The Middle House is a charming historic building in the middle of Mayfield High Street. There is a fabulous carved fireplace surround in the main reception area and lots of beams and wood panelling in the main restaurant. However the main restaurant was fully booked for a large birthday party group so we ate in the bar area. There are plenty of tables in the bar area which had a roaring log fire at one end. It was very busy and there was a wait for the tables, but it was definitely worth the wait .
There is an extensive menu for a bar menu and between us we had the roast beefs and lasagnes which were great. The portions were generous and excellent value for money. About £10 each for the roast dinners. Very reasonable bar prices too. The New Zealander guy behind the bar was particular helpful and friendly.
Would certainly recommend the place to anyone looking for somewhere to eat in this area. I certainly hope to eat here again as there was plenty on the menu to tempt us.
Overall good food, cosy friendly atmosphere (and judging by how busy is was, we weren't the only ones who thought so).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

My nephew Simon had his wedding reception here last week end and the immediate family stayed the night. The staff, headed up by Nick, were fantastic. Nothing was too much bother, they were attentive and always calm and pleasant. Just that alone was a lovely experience! The dinner was first class and many took photos of their plate because the food was presented so beautifully! It was a fabulous evening made even better by the welcoming staff - who were also every sympathetic at breakfast the next morning!! If anyone finds fault with The Middle House then they must be in the wrong hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Middle House? Share your experiences!