“Pretty good” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Caterham, United Kingdom
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I would say "Good" if needing more for Very Good, but better than Average.

Arrived with a walking group of about 12, we were required to choose and pre-book lunch, which is a bit of a faff as you miss out on 'daily specials' when pubs insist on this. Fair enough though. A twenty minute wait after due arrival time, 30 minutes in all. As other reviewers mention, a group gets a fine section of the pub to itself although the main part is delightful too.

Good sized portions and no complaints in the group. Two examples of fish and chips had only a large spoonful of mushy peas, which seems par for the course nowadays but wouldn't have satisfied me. I went for the chicken Caesar salad with anchovies, which doesn't often appear on pub menus but was well prepared. Anchovies rather strongly salted, if this also being rather typical.

The owner was happy for group members to pay separately rather than the wheez of a total bill which usually leaves the publican/restauranteur better off and customers struggling with their cash.

The main saloon is dog friendly.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My partner ando went out for a meal at t he hay wagon after recommendations and it was fabulous and not disappointing at all.the service s good, staff friendly and the locals very friendly too. We will definitely go back when we come back to this area again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
East Sussex
“A traditional option good for a large group”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went to the Hay Waggon on a Saturday lunchtime as a party of eleven. The dining room is pretty large so given that we expected to be fairly noisy it was possible for other lunchtime guests to keep their distance if they wanted to - which they did!

It had been quite hard to find somewhere that would cope with a big group with a wide range of tastes as well as being reasonably priced but the Hay Waggon worked out just fine. The menu had few surprises but there was something for everyone - we weren't aware of any specials. Many of the party preferred to drink beer at lunchtime so the choice of a pub suited them very well. Tap water was served in jugs and kept topped up throughout our lunch.

Our first courses were all OK and included: deep fried whitebait, prawn cocktail, pate, soup etc. Main courses were better and ranged from very good liver and onions; excellent fish cakes (but you need a big appetite to finish this, it's enough for two to share); sea bass; roast, salads; ham, eggs and chips. Puddings included the usual range of sorbets and ice cream but one trio of chocolate went down well and was reportedly very good indeed.

We were a fairly noisy and dis-organised group and we all enjoyed ourselves. We had a relaxed time and were never put under any pressure to leave which was great. Service was good and very welcoming.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
“Food quality gone downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The once nice menu featuring fresh food has been replaced with frozen food of below average quality. New owners trying to cut corners- don't do it! The Haywaggon was always about high quality grub!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Maresfield, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I, plus two children have eaten in the Haywaggon on numerous occasions over the years. Today my husband and I had Sunday lunch, not realising that new owners took over 6 weeks ago. First impressions, the pub and restaurant area looked pretty much the same as our last visit. The menu apparently was now just on the sheet of paper at the bar, not on the big chalk board any longer. On closer inspection the menu was a lot shorter than before and I found it disappointing. My husband and I, minus children as we had a babysitter, ordered the roast beef and waited for our meals. A family with small children arrived and asked where the children's menu was? The barman said there isn't one but you can order most things of there normal menu.
I do not like this as you are never sure what you are going to be charged! I didn't find this very child friendly. Our food arrived and my husband and I looked at each other in disbelief. We both thought wheres the other half ! Also the vegetables were carrots, sweet corn and peas all mixed in together as though they'd been prepared earlier without much thought going in to it. Sorry this is my opinion and a Sunday lunch should have lovely fresh vegetables served! The beef was nice, but served on top of the roast potatoes, so they were all soggy from the gravy.
Needless to say we will not be returning, with or without our children. Too expensive £10.95 for a roast that was only worth £5.99 and it wasn't that friendly in there!