“Overnight stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Burwash B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Although the staff at the Bear were lovely and the cooked breakfast really great, the heating in the motel chalet was not sufficient on the very cold night we stayed. The room was clean and had all that we needed but additional heating was not available when we asked.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
thebearinn, Manager at The Bear Inn and Burwash Motel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your email. The Heating does not come on in our chalets until 3.30pm as most customers don't arrive till after this.
I will get a plumber in to check the system and thank you for your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

15 of us descended on this place after spending a weekend at a nearby farm. Yes we did book beforehand and the table was waiting for us laid out with crackers and Christmas cheer. The waiting staff were incredibly helpful and even though the queue for the Carvery was long ,it all moved very quickly.
I have never been a great fan of carvery meals but I have to say this one was superb and excellent value for money £8:95. Amazing.
For me the veg are always the giveaway,. All were fantastic. The potatoes seemed genuinely to have been roasted and the the Brussels were genuinely al dente. Nothing seemed to have been sitting sadly in warming dishes for too long. Hardly surprising as the place was packed.
Not a part of UK I know that well but would certainly head here for another Sunday carvery if we were in the area

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
etchingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Sunday carvery offers excellent value for money at £8.95.There is a good chose of meats and a superb variety of vegetables.I couldn't manage a desert but there was a good selection if one had the 'room' !!
We were a party of nine with one member opting for a meal from the menu.The timing was very good and we all managed to enjoy our meal together.I would highly recommend if one is in the area or indeed if living locally.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I came here almost exactly a year ago for our last anniversary, and we had a fantastic meal, but unfortunately on returning again on 1st November 2012 for another meal for our anniversary, it has gone downhill at a very bad rate!

We arrived and waited at the bar for a while, no one was behind the bar which I feel is a little risky, I myself work in a bar and we try to never leave the bar unattended. Eventually the chef came out and asked if we would like a table, we had booked one but no one seemed to have a clue who was booked in or expected for the evening, everything just seemed a bit "confused."

We asked to sit in the bar rather than the restaurant as my grandmother had visited a few weeks back and said the restaurant was very cold, as I can agree because it is where we sat last time we visited.

Three of our dishes were lovely, one not so much. I said this last time and I will say it again, the chef here is excellent, but last time it was just that bit better. I ordered the scallops for starters and my partner had the duck in hoisin sauce, which were both yummy and it is very reasonably priced, my partner then had the steak for main course which he enjoyed so that was good, but I had the mushroom and leek linguini which was very very sweet and I stopped enjoying after about the 5th mouthful due to the strange sweetness, also I don't know if it was just me, but there was no sign of the leeks?!

When the waitress brought us our main course, I asked for another gin and tonic, which never came, so I had to leave my meal half way through to go up the bar and order another one. I don't mind this so much, but what I will not tolerate is being ignored. I stood at the bar for a good 3 minutes, about a metre away from a man who I assumed was the landlord/manager/owner. He was talking to a couple at the bar and just ignoring me. He then looked over to me and said someone will serve you in a minute, then shouted to the barmaid round the corner, who replied in an angry voice, "I'm serving!!". I thought in my head, "why don't you just serve me?"

I then waited at the bar for another what must have been 6 minutes, all the while my half eaten food on the table is getting colder and colder. My partner was then getting very annoyed and had to come up to the bar and stand right next to the couple the landlord/owner/manager was talking to to get his attention. He asked again for our drinks and he said yes someone will serve you. Luckily the barmaid came round the corner and pretty much summed it up when she said to the landlord/owner/manager, "couldn't you of served them?"

Our glasses were also never collected throughout the whole meal so they just piled up on the end of the table, not nice. We were not visited at all to ask if everything was alright or if we required more drinks. A different landlord/owner/manager was also changing light bulbs during our meal, which I feel should be done when the bar is closed.

We finished our main courses and the plates were then taken away and we were just left, ignored and wondering what to have for pudding. We were however never once asked if we required a pudding/coffee's/the bill. I had had enough by this point and just went to the bar and paid the bill, I didn't want to give anymore money to an establishment that does not value it's customers.

When finally asked when paying the bill if it was ok, there was a long silence and I stupidly said yes, which I now regret and wish I had said something.

We left and went for a lovely drink in the Rose and Crown up the road, which has a lovely atmosphere and very polite staff!

Very disapointing as it was for a special occasion and it was so good last time, will not be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a typical English pub with eight motel style rooms out the back in the pretty village of Burwash. The pub has a large formal dining room, though customers were eating in the bar the evening I was there. There were essentially two menus which were laid out on blackboards on the pub walls. One was typical pub food – sandwiches, fish and chips etc, the other with more exotic dishes such as boeuf bourguignon and crayfish tails. I had the boeuf bourguignon which was not Jamie Oliver but reasonable and accompanied by mashed potatoes and the usual mix of steamed vegetables. There was a good range of ice creams and some interesting deserts.

The bedroom was a good size, had a flat screen television and was clean. The bathroom was also clean though the walk in shower stall could do with being updated as the rubber seals were deteriorating and there were signs of the dreaded black mould in the corners. Soap was provided from wall dispensers beside the basin and shower. No shampoo was provided. There was parking for your car outside your room.

What let this Inn down was that it was unfortunately infected with the “Smoking Shack Syndrome”. This syndrome occurs which the proprietors of bars site their outdoor smoking areas beside or under their guest sleeping accommodation. Smokers from the bar exit to the smoking room at regular intervals for their nicotine fixes. If the weather is not too inclement smokers from the bar tend to not bother returning inside but congregate in and around the smoking shack. As the evening goes on the noise increases exponentially with time and the amount of alcohol consumed. Those trying to sleep nearby find it impossible to do so and may be forced to stay awake until the early morning. Fortunately on this occasion the last revellers left at approximately 11.45pm. Rooms 1 to 4 are the nearest to the smoking shack. Rooms 5 to 8 are further away where the noise will be much more muted.

Service was very good. I arrived too early for breakfast the next morning due to a misreading of the starting time. The owner explained that the kitchen ranges were still “warming up” sat me down at a table and got me a pot of coffee and brought some croissants and pain au chocolat. A full English breakfast was available together with juice, cereal and toast. I had poached eggs with bacon which had been freshly cooked and was very good
Pity about the Smoking Shack.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My first visit to this rated establishment with my wife and 2 relatives. OK weather was not good so we were looking for a welcome and charm. Entering the establishment my first impressions were not positive, it looked tired and the manager/owner with his laptop on the bar gave me an impression that perhaps we had selected a place which would not meet our expectations, how wrong could I be? The lady behind the bar served our pre lunch drinks promptly and was very helpful and friendly advising us of the lunch menu options and how we should order. Now this place is not for the faint hearted as the portions served are very large and cooked and presented well. (maybe some portion control would help the bottom line) as the waste level appears to be high. Ingredient quality was fresh. Value for money without doubt, however I would have said the same with slightly smaller portion (get your profit objective in order) The views from the garden are outstanding as is the overall eventual experience. Go there and enjoy. Hopefully the laptop will have been relegated to a backroom and out of sight in the future. Just loved the eventual experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We visited here in February and decided to go back for a night last week for a night away and to visit gardens nearby. Well, it just got even better, so had to write again. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The room was lovely and had improved from last time as some of the furniture clutter had gone. The bathroom was very clean and a lovely hot shower and fluffy towels. We had a glass of wine just after we arrived and sat in the garden taking in the beautiful (that is an understatement) views at the back of the inn which can also be seen from some of the rooms. My husband even watched the sun come up and the way the rooms are situated can even watch it go down. Food - I am a fussy eater, but could not fault our evening meal. It was cooked to perfection. I had skate and was superb. Plates are hot and wine cold. What more could you want. Service was excellent. Breakfast was an even better surprise! Gorgeous selection of fresh fruit, 3 different melon, grapefruit, orange, then full English with toast, selection of croissants, pot of tea or coffee and orange juice. The should win an award for breakfast. It was the same chef as in the evening so was again cooked to perfection with a light touch. We have promised ourselves we will go back again in the autumn. Hopefully nothing would have changed.

Room Tip: 5, 6, 7, and 8 have lovely views. All very quiet.