“Excellent Country House Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Powdermill Lane, Battle TN33 0SP, England   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Battle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“Excellent Country House Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Our third visit to this hotel in two years . The rooms are individually styled and very comfortable and clean. The highlight for us has to be the restaurant which serves delicious food. The menu changes regularly. On this stay we ate a creative fillet of beef served with a delicious cottage pie, local pheasant, but a highlight has to be the dessers which are a revelation as I don' t usually manage to get through to dessert. Particularly praiseworthy is the stem ginger ice cream.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Swaffham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

The moment one enters the door at this time of year, passes a warm log fire and is greeted by a friendly dog wagging its tail, as well as a smiling cheerful receptionist, one knows that a good experience beckons. We arrived early and had lunch in the Library. It was well served and the food faultless. The standard bedroom was very comfortable and the bathroom clean and well lit. Later the restaurant provided us with exemplary cooking of a high order. The staff without exception were very friendly and clearly anxious to plrease. The hotel itself in a quiet sylvan setting was well furnished and exuded the highest ambience in comfort, warmth and general well-being. We enjoyed a lovely 'battery-recharging' stay and most confidently recommend the experience to others. A real gem of an establishment, clearly very well run indeed, with the closest attention to detail.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best outlook and are well set back from the road.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We had eaten here previously and wanted to return for a short stay. The staff were very welcoming and helpful without exception.

We arrived early and had lunch in the bar area - very nice.

I had upgraded to a room overlooking the lake, it was a stunning view in January so now have to go back in the spring, summer and autumn to witness the changes with the seasons.
Onto the terrace outside our patio doors strutted a very beautiful peacock, what a treat. There were also very handsome geese and ducks hoping for some tit bits. We sat for ages watching them, it must be lovely on a warm day to sit out there with all the wildlife.

The room and bathroom were very clean, my only reservation was with the hair dryer it was not at all powerful so you might like to take your own if that would bother you. The bed was reasonably comfortable but could have been bettered with a topper but having said that we slept very well and did not hear any noise from adjoining rooms. There was a thermostat in the room to control the level of heat.

The dinners we had were elegant, the service was excellent and there was a good selection of wines. The menu is not huge but the chef was quite happy to cook something off menu when I asked. The dining room is attractive with linen cloths and napkins.

Breakfasts were good although I was disappointed there was not any yogurt or fresh fruit - only tinned but there was plenty of other choice. Again the service was excellent.

The hotel has a fascinating history from the days when gunpowder was made there, well worth reading about.

We enjoyed our stay and will return, many thanks to the staff all of whom seemed to really enjoy working there.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the beautiful lake with all the wildlife.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
brentwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

PowderMills Hotel is a really pleasant place to stay, in a beautiful setting and surrounded by wonderful grounds.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Upon check-in we asked if we could change rooms as I prefer a bath in the bathroom, rather than just a shower and they made no hesitation in upgrading us to accommodate my request. We had a lovely exec room overlooking the lake at the back of the grounds.

We also have a small dog and it is so refreshing to stay at a hotel whereby he can come and stay with us. The restaurant staff even set up our dinner and breakfast table in the library to allow our dog to 'dine' with us (restaurant is out of bounds to dogs). I am a big believer that most dog owners would not take their dog out with them if they do not behave well in public paces, so it was lovely to be given this opportunity.

My only sadness with this stay was that the restaurant was very empty in the evening, and by approx 9pm we were the only ones and the bar had been closed early, understandably due to demand. However, we were visiting mid-week, so I can imagine the restaurant and bar does have busier times.

I would recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Stayed here this Christmas. Lovely hotel with great surroundings. Nice for long walks.

Hotel is clean and has very friendly staff.

Bar was to little and often not staffed.

• Stayed December 2011
East Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

My husband and I spent some time looking for a suitable venue at the right price to hold an afternoon tea party to celebrate our 25 th wedding anniversary. We are so glad we chose the Powdermills Hotel. We were blessed with good weather on the day ( at the end of August) and so guests were able to sit inside or out. We had booked the music room but the hotel laid out the afternoon tea in an adjoining dining room and we also has use of the lounge opposite.
I had so many comments from my guests about the food and setting. The homemade cakes, cookies and scones were delicious and all the food was beautifully presented.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a celebration party, we had a wonderful afternoon!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Folkestone Kent UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I was booked to stay here by my employer as an overnight stay prior to my leaving them. The first thing to say is the hotel is not in the centre of the town and although a walkable distance the road is very dangerous and i would not recommend it.

Having said that the location itself adds to the charm of the hotel. I found the staff to be welcoming, friendly and very polite. My room was superb. Fantastic bathroom and some nice touches in the room. The only minor niggle was that the heating seemed to be tepid rather than warm but this didn't detract from the charm of the room. Four poster bed included! (My wife says it was wasted on me!!!)

The breakfast was lovely great choice and vert attentive waiter who couldn't do enough for you. Choice of continental, full english or healthy option (smoked salmon and poached egg). Freshly cooked and more than enough. As much tea and toast as you can eat.

All in all i have to agree with my wife probably was wasted on me as an individual but as a romantic break, or family stay i would recommend this hotel without reservation. Will deffinatley return in the future

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to PowderMills Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!