“Hugely recommended - for men as well as women...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Slimmeria Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Battle
The Slimmeria Retreat
You added The Slimmeria Retreat to your Saves list
Hye House | Royal Oak Lane, Crowhurst, Battle TN33 9BX, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“Hugely recommended - for men as well as women...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just like the last poster, I was the only guy in a group of 11, but it really made not a jot of difference. The guests were all lovely, friendly, extremely pleasant company and a treat to spend time with. If you want to detox, if you want to de-stress, if you want to lose weight - there are many reasons to visit this place. I wanted to do all 3 and managed to achieve them all, losing 15 lb in just 6 days. Galia, the owner, is an extremely considerate and likeable lady. Tough? Sure, but she gets results. Of the 11 of us there, we all lost between 9 - 15 lbs each, even those who were not there to lose weight. The regime is strict - a vegan, raw food diet (mostly), no meat, no fish, no carbs, no oil, no fat, no dairy, no tasty sauces, no alcohol, and 400 calories per day maximum. On top of that, there is a countryside walk / march of 2 hours each morning (6 - 9 miles depending on the terrain), then 60 minutes of aerobics, then 60 minutes of yoga. In the afternoon, there were some great treatments included in the price - I had a massage, a facial (my first ever - fantastic), a head massage and a 30 minute steam in the steam bath. I checked in feeling tired, irritable, hungover, overweight and just plain bad. 6 days later I left feeling absolutely awesome. Clear mind, clear head, in just the best mood imaginable. Really on a high. I live in Moscow with a lifestyle that could easily be described as "Bacchanalian", but after this I have no compulsion to drink, I am in the gym every day to continue my weight loss, my fridge is full of salads and really healthy foods and I just feel, well, astonishing.

As per my review title, guys, do not be put off by thinking this is a girly-girly type spa resort. I have been to a number of these, and it is completely difficult. It is tough. You will get headaches. You will feel weak. You will feel drowsy. You will fantasize about cheese on toast and Chicken Madras in your sleep.

But the end results will be worth it. I cannot recommend this place enough, and will be back again in February or March.

An outstanding place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
slimmeria, Manager at The Slimmeria Retreat, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you very much Tim for your feedback. We really enjoyed having you with us that week. Once again you have demonstrated that men are willing to take time out from their hectic business lives to de-stress, detox and get fitter. It is reassuring that it’s not just women who want to get fit again, lose some weight and find their sanity. Thank you once again, especially knowing that you travelled from abroad. Continuing best wishes Tim for the new you!
Kind regards, the Slimmeria team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

A bit like one of the other reviewers I was a lone man amongst 13 women. I suppose the name of the retreat does not help men choose it, or some women come to that, but you should not be put off.

The place is not just about slimming it is a good place to detox and take stock and assess your life away from the normal pressures. Also it was good to be in an environment with women who treated me as just one of the group. There was no sexual dimension or competitiveness and i learnt something about women that I had not stopped to consider before. I'm generalising, of course, but I would say they have more going on than we do. They want to have fun but I they take their responsibilities more seriously, be that their jobs their families or their appearance and if it isn't right they really worry about it and want to do something about it - hence their attendance at the retreat. I also learnt a little bit about myself and the world too. As Galia pointed out we have far too many treats every day - alcohol, chocolate, rich foods - when does anything feel special these days.

As many have said this place is no pushover and there are few edible treats whatsoever. I'm not overweight and pretty fit so the physical side was OK but with very few calories, no sugar, fat, protein, carbohydrates, caffeine or alcohol - the detox hangover in my case was a 36 hour nightmare. But I got over it and my thoughts become clearer sufficient to plot a way forward again.

So to sum up. I would recommend this place and say if you are thinking about it then do it. Provided you are positive you will get a lot out of it. I am convinced that Galia, the owner, is a good woman, she cares about her guests - she wants you to achieve your goals but you will not do that if she is easy on you and gives you treats. If you want to sit on a beach drinking and eating - do that and enjoy it but it may not make you happy unless you have shown a bit of discipline elsewhere - the retreat can help you with that.

Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I went to Slimmeria hoping for detox on more than just the physical level.

It proved to be that and more.

As a group we had a lot of fun. There was a great ‘menu’ of motivation talks, vigorous exercise and healthy meals not to mention walks in the forest, on the sea side and spa treatments!

Being a doctor myself, I feel this program is very holistically designed and obviously works. Beyond the physical slimming and fitness aspect it felt like a big step in my personal development.

The program included a talk on EFT: Emotional Freedom Techniques, which for me was a great find personally and professionally.

And of course the inclusive spa treatments were great as were relaxing evenings when I felt I was able to let go and detox my mind and Soule and learn to slow down.

The exquisite selection of classes was new and exciting especially belly dancing and zumba.

I can highly recommend this retreat. It felt purifying and renewing for the mind & body.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went to Slimmeria not really knowing what to expect. Galia was very welcoming and the house is lovely. It was a tough first three days, but worth sticking it out for. After that I started to feel better than I had for years and the weight just dropped off - I lost 10lb in a week.
Galia doesn't take no for an answer and I couldn't have done it without her help, I can't thank her enough!
My fellow detoxers were fantastic, we had such a laugh even though none of us had met before, it made the whole experience really fun and we all supported each other.
My next challenge is to keep up the good work!

Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Having decided I needed a boost to help stimulate my needed weight loss, I decided to book into Slimmeria, and whlst expecting this to be mainly female did not expect to be the only male from 11 residents on the week I stayed. However it was a great stimulating and rewarding experience. The exercise regime is more challenging than I expected with 6 mile walks followed by an exercise class then yoga daily, before an afternoon where spa sessions are available, I had never previously tried such, but enjoyed immensely and benefited especially from the massages.

As to the food, low calorie but tasty and well prepared. I would certainly recommend to other males who need a similar boost, I ended the week fitter feeling more energised and certainly more flexible due to the Yoga sessions. As to weight loss 17lb in a week !! I was astonished but immensely grateful.

Ian Bennett

Room Tip: Would recommend a private en-suite as I chose. more spacious and comfortable
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I returned to this retreat after attending last September for 5 days, this time i stayed for the 4 days but went home the afternoon of the fourth. I chose to re-visit Slimmeria as unfortunately i put on all the weight i lost last year. I am extremely happy i did the few days, i lost 6 pound in total and it has really given me the kick start i need to lose the extra weight, it does make you think about what you eat!! Thank you Galia for yet again another hard but successful visit!

Room Tip: I stayed in a twin room with another guest and it was a lovely room, quite nice to have someone to t...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had been contemplating a retreat for sometime, and by a stroke a luck found this little gem called 'Slimmeria' - a fitness, weight-loss and detox retreat all in one. I travelled alone, but ending up spending an entire week with 15 very interesting and lovely people. I wasn't overly overweight at the start, but did feel I could do with losing a few pounds, so on my weigh-in 7 days later, I was absolutely delighted to have lost an incredible 8 pounds. It's a strict regime, it does take discipline, but the programme's so well planned that it keeps you busier enough to keep your mind off food. It's amazing how the week with Galia and the team has completely changed my way of thinking and the way I look at food, i have every intention to continue with the long walks, fitness classes, healthy eating - just with a 'slightly' higher calorie intake lol. I really did enjoy the experience and the results. Thank you to everyone in the team.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Slimmeria Retreat? Share your experiences!