“"Eat, Fast & Live Longer"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Slimmeria Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Battle
The Slimmeria Retreat
You added The Slimmeria Retreat to your Saves list
Hye House | Royal Oak Lane, Crowhurst, Battle TN33 9BX, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“"Eat, Fast & Live Longer"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I was surprised to read the review dated 24 August as my experience of Slimmeria was quite different. My calculation of calories was more like 600 a day and I knew that it was only for a week so I didn’t feel perturbed. I have always believed in occasional de-toxing and fasting – and my beliefs have been reinforced since watching the recent Horizon’s documentary on BBC2, “Eat, Fast & Live Longer” – if you haven’t seen it, it was fantastic and a real eye-opener and confirms in my mind that Slimmeria’s programme is sound .
The NHS is quick to state that obesity is a major problem in the UK and is a huge drain on their funding. I was inspired to see such a variety of fellow guests at Slimmeria, keen to take preventative measures for their health and well-being.
The Slimmeria confirmation letter explained that it was going to be a raw vegetarian diet and I knew what to expect from the sample menu on the website. I had anticipated beforehand that to achieve weight-loss in a week that the regime would need to be a bit like “boot camp” at times and I was delighted by the bonus of a beautiful setting , lovely spa treatments and time to relax and chill out.
I certainly didn’t feel that the retreat’s programme prays on the “insecurities of over-weight women” – there were a lot of people in our group who weren’t particularly overweight but wanted a boost to their confidence , a chance to de-tox and de-stress. All the staff were professional and went out of their way to meet my personal needs and that of the group. I think the full benefits of a week’s retreat are best experienced by not leaving early. I appreciate that everyone has the right to see the same thing in a different light – a glass as “half full” or “half empty” but my week’s experience did the trick for me!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

There's no way I'd recommend this place, I left two days early and as I explained to the owner at the time it was because of how un happy I was with the retreat. The week was marketed as a weight loss programme in a luxury setting. In short it was a militant regime that prayed on the insecurities of over weight women. It is in-accurately marketed, no where on the website or in the literature sent out does it mention that you will be only given 400 calories a day! For those of you, like my self , who have never calorie counted before. The NHS website states a women on a healthy diet should be eating 2000 calories a day. Various guidelines state that to loose weight you should drop your current  calorie intake by 500 to 1000 calories, but that importantly  should be monitored depending on your body size & weight. No wonder slimaria "achieves excellent results"! More in importantly the regime is not tailored to the client, everyone is given the same amount of food and the 'expert staff' are not on hand to advise you. Their information is generic , the Nutricianists talk was laughable and based around the concept of smart and non smart foods. I think we all know that a pizza is a non smart food ! If I have not already put you off then the two rasins and a slice of apple you are given before your hour and a half morning walk should do it.

As for the luxury, I'm an Interior Designer, and yes the house looks beautiful and is set in wonderful grounds. But as you begin your week and find that the rooms are too small to hold the number of people excercising or doing yoga and the beds are so uncomfortable that you end up sleeping on a mattress on the floor, the shine starts to wear off.

The staff that were brought in for classes,( other that the owner there was no one around to help with day to day issues... Which presented its own problems of more later... ) were excellent on the whole, keen knowkagable  and motivated. Had it not been for them and the wonderful group of ladies.. And honary gent, amongst whom I made some great friends, I would have walked allot sooner.

Finally and most importantly I come round to the contentious issue of health and safety. Whilst I don't want to live in a nanny state. We were a group of nearly 20, with only one full time member of staff ,who was also running the place , and from my experience no first aider or adequate first aid supplies. Our first accident was a badly sprained ankle on the morning  walk that was not taken seriously( until I took it into my own hands and demanded that ice and a bandage be supplied) that my self and another client administered. Far more worrying later in the week, a client fell and broke her ankle very badly, again I was happy to be on hand and glad to be first aid trained .I  looked after her with another client whilst the ambulance arrived. Whilst the staff were there they were instructed by us what to do. After this experience I was quite shaky and asked for a cup of tea, "what you want to break the detox" I was asked incredulously...

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
slimmeria, Owner at The Slimmeria Retreat, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
We would like to thank our guest for visiting our retreat and we are pleased that she stated that her week was marketed as a “weight loss programme in a luxury setting”. We agree with this and for guests wanting slow weight-loss, we offer a weight management programme. This guest advised that she didn’t have time to check our website ahead of time. This is a real pity because she would have seen a sample menu and she could have selected the “weight management” option if she preferred to have more food.
We strongly disagree with her comment that we “prayed on the insecurities of over-weight women”. This is totally against our ethos. Our guest was aware that none of our guests that week were particularly over-weight but wanted to lose a bit of weight and feel the benefits of de-toxing. We are pleased that this guest valued the “wonderful group” and made some great friends and that the staff were “keen, knowledgeable and motivated.”
On her registration form, this guest wrote that she would like to lose 7 pounds during her week’s retreat and wanted to “kickstart healthy lifestyle”. Her diet was adjusted accordingly and we supplemented her food as well. She achieved a weight loss of 6 pounds in 5 days. Rather than departing on Sunday, this guest left on Friday and we had the impression that it was due to a social engagement which we can understand as she was a young lady. She seemed to enjoy the walks and fitness activities.
What Slimmeria offers is healthy vegetarian food and fitness opportunities for those guests who are willing to do the necessary hard work. We also offer encouragement, motivational support and some wonderful spa treatments to off-set the day’s regime. Guests also appreciate our beautiful surroundings, whether indoors, in the garden or in the surrounding countryside.
What Slimmeria DOES NOT offer is comfort food or champagne and we don’t have a jacuzzi.

Our guest advised that she suffered from a TMS condition with associated pain in her neck, shoulder and back. This could be the reason that she had difficulty finding a suitable mattress for her personal situation – we offered her several different mattresses.

We have many doctors and medical professionals attending our weight-loss retreats (as well as doctors referring patients) and they appreciate the benefits of kick-starting the body’s metabolism and weight loss through a short period of lower calories, drinking water, abstinence from alcohol and comfort foods and undertaking a rigorous fitness routine. People either understand and believe in natural de-toxing and fasting or they don’t. Ideally it would be great if all of us ate a healthy diet, lead a healthy lifestyle and consumed 1000 to 2000 calories day. The reality is some of us don’t and they appreciate the help of a structured retreat away from temptation with the opportunity of portion control, natural foods, water, exercise routines and lots of fresh air.

It is true that that particular week we had an unfortunate accident when one of our guests fell while walking from The Orangerie to the outside. It happened in broad daylight and NOT during any fitness classes or walks. A few minutes prior to that, she had spoken to the owner and was in a fit state and in a good mood. One of the guests nearby, kindly volunteered to hold her ankle and leg when that happened, while the owner telephoned the ambulance service. It did not seem appropriate for a different person to take over supporting the guest’s leg and the owner followed all the instructions from the emergency service. We have at least one member of staff present 24/7 and regular additional staff throughout the day. We followed all health and safety procedures. The lady who suffered this injury was devastated that her week’s stay was cut short.

The NHS are keen to stress that obesity rates in Britain are soaring with nearly a quarter of adults now classed as clinically obese with the forecast that by 2030 half of the UK population will be obese. Despite government warnings that we are turning into a nation of couch potatoes and risking obesity-related illnesses such as heart disease and cancer, our waistlines keep growing. An important public health priority is to target preventative measures and this is what Slimmeria is about.

We are pleased to say that other guests had a different experience of the same week. Should this guest have stayed for one more day, she would have witnessed a group of guests presenting the owner with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and card to say thank you.

We know Slimmeria is not for everyone but the vast majority of guests leave feeling envigorated, lighter (physically and emotionally), more confident in themselves and determined to make healthier lifestyle choices.

This guest was keen to offer her Interior Design services to the owner but as we didn’t have a need for these services, we didn’t contact her. It is astonishing that two and half months after her stay, she has written such a review.
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Feeling far too flabby to go on a beach holiday I decided to look for something a bit different and found this retreat. Did I say a bit??? After a second read of what was on offer I took the plunge and booked the seven day package. Full of apprehension, as I had never done anything like this before, I took myself off to Hye House at the end of June.

As soon as I arrived I felt relaxed but excited to start the journey, which was to end in mind, body and soul all set on a new life plan, which at 53 I didn't think could happen. This is all thanks to Galia and her team of experts who pass their motivation, expertise, kindness and fun all in a thought provoking tool box to take away and continue to use.

You have to be prepared during your stay for a very limited diet and challenging walks and fitness classes. However, these are complimented with wonderfully relaxing Yoga, spa treatments and you time. On the challenging note, you are not made to do anything outside your ability levels, most of the challenge comes from within, the goals you have set and the reason you chose to come to the retreat in the first pace.

I was so lucky to spend my week with a great mix of people, some who were on their second visit, who all provided encouragement and support and shared experiences.

Since returning home, where many people have commented on how good I look, I have stepped up my exercise and take far more care about my shopping list and food in general. My weight is still reducing albeit at a slower pace and I've drooped nearly two dress sizes!

Room Tip: For a total relax I paid the supplement and requested a single occupancy room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at Slimmeria with a friend for 7days in July this year. One tip to all if you're thinking of going, please do, but not without a good and I mean really good pair of walking boots. The walks are through lovely countryside, or along the seafront, so expect mud, sand, sea, puddles you name it you will walk in it and you will walk for miles. I really didn't know I had it in me to walk so far, as a Townie it's easy never to know your potenial to walk and enjoy it. I really have gained alot of confidence from my stay. It wasn't easy but it is so worth the effort not just for the weight loss, but for the fun and frendships made and also the reflection afterwards. We all go there with our own agenda's, and mine was the booze which I now know I can go without. Thanks Galia for your support. Only down side - not eaten a carrot since.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from a week at Slimmeria and the most exhilarating time of my life.
The house is stunning, we had glorious weather and the food, although light, was in my view delicious. Yes, some of us struggled with it at times but this works and it works well. Yes, you could do it yourself, but you won't wull you and this is just the luck start you'll need. All of the group (21) lost weight, felt more toned and although there is no question it is tough, we kept each other going and overcame many obstacles along the way.
I myself wanted to beat my sweet addiction and am beyond happy to have achieved that. I've also learned that much of what I think my body needs or can do is in my mind. I have returned with an immense love of walking and a palate that enjoys every mouthful of food. I hope I've made some forever friends and am looking forward to our reunion in a few months when I hope we'll all have even more success to share.
Thank you very much to Galia and the Slimmeria team for helping me be me again.

• Stayed July 2012
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have just lost this weight staying at the slimmeria retreat. It was almost painless and the results speak for themselves. Long walks in the country, exercise classes, Spartan vegetarian food deep in the Sussex countryside with no distractions, I have come home slim and well rested determined to keep up this massive kick start to a healthier and slimmer me. Mary Ann

Room Tip: The best rooms are in the main block of the house, mine was on the top floor and the bed was rather...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have just come back from a week at Hye House with Galia and the team and had a fantastic time! Galia really does go out of her way to make sure you are happy and comfortable (through and experience that is at times anything but!)

In our group, there were some people who had been before and they commented on the fact that the food portion sizes had increased so they are clearly taking feedback on board and it didn't seem to hinder the weight loss efforts of the group (cabbage is still cabbage no matter how much you have of it!)

At times I did feel dizzy but Galia always had some "magic raisins" or even an egg (if you got lucky) on hand to ensure that everyone felt OK. It's all about listening to your body to make sure you're not pushing it too far but that you are challenging yourself.

The exercise wasn't overly strenuous (walks, yoga, dance classes) but when you are eating so little almost everything becomes an exertion (I usually consider myself fairly fit but was occasionally struggling).

I lost a total of 8.5 lbs during my week long stay, my skin is glowing and I definitely caught up on my sleep. I would recommend this experience to anyone looking to take some time out and spend it on themselves but who also appreciates that this it won't be a walk in the park but it will be worth it in the end.

The most positive part of the whole experience was the people who were extremely supportive and friendly and many of whom I intend to keep in touch with in future!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Slimmeria Retreat? Share your experiences!