“When I tried to book I was twice told to call again when they weren't so busy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Bell Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Walberswick
The Bell Inn
You added The Bell Inn to your Saves list
Ferry Road, Walberswick IP18 6TN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Walberswick B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“When I tried to book I was twice told to call again when they weren't so busy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Tried to book by phone when Laterooms said there was only one room available for the Saturday but it would only let book 2 consecutive days (Friday and Sunday were, however, fully booked.).

I first rang at 2pm today and was told they were too busy to take a booking and to call back in an hour. I called an hour later and told, again, abruptly, that they were still too busy and to call back at 6pm.

When rang at 6pm I was told they were fully booked.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Every time we come here I am always pleased with the standard of food. It's a lovely Suffolk pub with a good choice menu and Adnams on tap. What more do you want? P.S if you want a table get there early as its gets full up most days.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had one night here and loved it. The pub is very old with stone floors that have gone concave with 100's of years of treading. The food in the evening was very good indeed, much better than the average pub grub. The staff were lovely too. Location is very good (better than the Anchor Inn in my opinion) as it is just a very short walk to the ferry to Southwold and you can hear the waves at night. Originally we wanted to stay in Southwold but could not get a room at short notice so opted for the next nearest place. This turned out to be a stroke of good luck at Walberton is a much better place to stay than Southwold as it is a lovely unspoilt village. The breakfast was certainly a five-star one. I would give it 4.5 stars if that were possible. I am withholding the fifth star purely because the room was rather small and secondly breakfast is only served between 9.00 and 9.30 which is a rather narrow window for those that want an early start or a lie-in. The staff, food, breakfast, charm, antiquity and location are all 5 star level.

Room Tip: Room 1 overlooks the garden, it's small and has a shower rather than a bath. We could hear the s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
buckingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I've just returned home from a delightful stay at The Bell Inn, Walberswick. My partner and I fancied a couple of nights away and had no real plan as to where we should go. I suggested the Southwold area and called The Bell to check on vacancies. Luckily for us, there had been a cancellation and made our two night reservation. On arrival - the bar area was very busy and it was quite tricky to get checked in efficiently. We were eventually shown to our room which was cosy but immaculate and tasteful. We were as advised that breakfast would be served at 9am. It would have been helpful if we'd known that evening meals were not available after 9pm. We arrived somewhat late for dinner - but bless the staff at The Bell. The kitchen staff were able to provide a most delicious fish pie for us. We were extremely grateful to them as there was nowhere else locally to get fed after 9pm either. We even had a very polite tap on our door the next morning to remind us that breakfast was being served ! Breakfast was just right too and service came with a smile ! After a day of walking and cycling in this lovely part of the country - it was lovely to come back to The Bell and enjoy their lovely food and hospitality. Whilst, Southwold was lovely to visit - I'm so glad we stayed in this idyllic tranquil location.

• Stayed June 2013
derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I recently had to make a lst minute booking for a stay in the Southwold area of Suffolk and managed to get the last room available at the Bell Inn in Walberswick. The village is great with plenty of places to have a gentle stroll aroun before and after dinner.
I was met at Reception by a couple of friendly and welcoming people who booked me in and showed me the way to room No 3. After 5 minutes of listening to the sounds Nursery Rhymes coming through the thin deviding door between my room and the room next door i requested a change of room but was told that the Inn was fully booked. In all fairness the sounds had stopped till 6.15 the next morning so it was n't a problem. I ate in the Restraunt and I have to say that the food was really good and reasonable priced and I would reccomend both the Paella and the Creme Brulle, both really good as was the breakfast. The Bell is good for holiday makers and visitors but breakfast is only served between 9 and 9.30 which may be o.k. for the Bell but if you are on business as I was and fancied a cooked breakfast 9 o'clockm is far too late. The bedroom its self was large enough but had no desk or chair to work from but did have free WiFi.
The other down side to room number 3 is that in the bathroom (no bath) the wooden window frames have all but rotted away at the base, no problem in summer but I would think caused a bit of a draft in Winter. Finally I don't think it is good to look out of the window from sitting on the loo and looking in to the front door of room No6 (and Vice Versa).All in all I think for £80.00 even for the proximity of Southwold I would expect a little better but would probably visit again but not stay in No3.

Room Tip: Not room number 3
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chelmsford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Delightful two-night break at the Bell. Really old inn, full of character. Wooden snugs in the bar and worn brick flooring. Modest sized rooms.
Breakfast is really nice and the service is faultless. Not cheap, all the hotels in the area are dear.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I love the Bell. I love the staff, who manage to keep a smile on their faces, even after a Bank Holiday when they have served 400 in 2 hours. I love the care from all of them, where they somehow manage to make me feel part of the family, despite the fact that this is only the second time I have been. I love the food, it is always scrummy, well priced and beautifully presented. I love the cushions... Yes, that's what I said.. Normally when you find a lovely old pub, you find lovely old dirty furnishings to go with it. The cushions here are impeccable! I love the area and the walks. I love.... the fact that I can come back again and again and be assured of the same lovely welcome. Thanks so much, you mad crazy people. Here's to Charlie, Jonah, Tom and James. God bless.... And keep doing what you're doing. It's fab!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bell Inn? Share your experiences!