“Deeply disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

01502 722112
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Situated in the pretty seaside village of Walberswick, with views from the rooms and terraces over to the sand dunes, beach and sea. A short walk to the beach, wonderful walks to Dunwich and Southwold.A cosy pub with a log fire in the bar, restaurant and family room. We have 10 comfortable bedrooms, 4 in the main Arts & Craft building and 6 garden chalets, clad in eco-sourced wood. The garden chalets have sofas and outside seating for sunny days. We also have 3 dog friendly chalets with French doors opening onto the back garden.
“Deeply disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We eat out at great deal and have eaten at The Anchor on previous occasions. However, although the service was good the food was awful.

We were excited to be visiting The Anchor at the end of a busy week and were looking forward to a nice curry. Unfortunately, the onion baji was Luke warm and greasy, the popadoms had pools of oil on the surface. I had the lamb tamarind, there was more fat than lamb and there was a thick layer of oil that sat above the sauce. My partner had the cod with the Asian slaw, but the portion was a bit on the mean side. I am now suffering from indigestion.

In light of the responses from the owner on other comments I am not expecting our experience to be taken on board, rather that there will be a defensive riposte which states that no other diners that night complained so we must be unreasonable curmudgeons. However, it might be that they simply decided that complaining was not worth the effort and will just not return.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Upmarket pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We were made very welcome by young,new staff. Quite a lot of the dishes were rather fancy so I had a starter, duck breast, with chips and salad and it was very good. There wasn't a lot on the menu that appealed to us but for other diners it was probably what they were looking for.

Visited May 2014
Colchester, United Kingdom
“I wish this was my local.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We popped in on the way from the beach for a drink. The owner was lovely. We have 2 boys of 5 and 8 and he was happy for then to sit at the nicer tables. Lovely man, lovely beer, chilled atmosphere. I wish it was my local but looks like he's taking over a pub nearer to us so I'm quite excited.

Visit and enjoy- took some fresh hot bread back with us- yuuuummmmyyy x

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“A Sad Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We visit The Anchor fairly frequently during the week for lunch and have always found it to be excellent; very good food and friendly service. We visited yesterday for Sunday lunch with two friends. this turned out to be a mistake as it was Bank Holiday. As to be expected it was very busy with families and very young children having a nice time. Three of us chose the roast Blythburgh pork. It was served in big lumps with no finesse, no stuffing or crackling and apple sauce which was a strange brown colour? The roast potatoes were dry and the creamed cauliflower was reheated,certainly not up to the usual standards of this establishment. We all had one course and coffee with a bottle of wine and the bill worked out at £25 per head! We felt disappointed indeed. We will in future keep to the weekday visits and avoid the weekends as the kitchen can't maintain it's usual high standards.

Visited May 2014
London
“What a difference a day makes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We arrived on Good Friday, self catering in Walberswick (beautiful village). I had seen that The Anchor from their website that they were open for breakfast for non residential diners so I thought ideal just a few steps away.

On the arrival Saturday morning it all seemed to be rather hectic, guest in one dinning room and locals having a birthday breakfast in the bar area. We were welcomed and offered a quiet part of the bar an given a breakfast menu. The service was very slow, the first teapot had an ill fitting lid but it seemed to add to the 'faulty tower' atmosphere of the place. Our second tea pot had no lid at all. The food was good I had the smoked haddock my husband the kipper (there was only one kipper) the toast was very irregular shapes and sizes but plentiful the butter was very good. Our waitress was apologetic the whole time but we were in no hurry we were on our holiday.

Our waitress asked if we would like to book a table for Sunday which we thought would be a good idea.

Sunday morning we arrived the waited and waited we, could not see our previous waitress, but there were at least two others who played a strange game of if they didn't give us eye contact then they didn't have to acknowledge us, this went on for 10 or more minutes, I looked into the kitchen which was buzzing with staff, again even when they came out of the kitchen into the bar area again ignoring us. Finally a young girl appeared at the bar, she was either very hung-over or under the effects of something, we explained we had booked and she seemed surprised, she said we should ask the waitress, we said had been trying to. At this point my husbands patients run out, we walked out.

We walked a few yards to the Black Dog Deli which offered us very good bacon rolls and hot drinks.

They really shouldn't offer food to non residents if they cannot cope - their attitude STINKS.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
elizabethMellor, Owner at The Anchor at Walberswick, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you for your review, it seems to be one of two parts, the first, you seem to have quite enjoyed your breakfast, the irregular toast is bacause we make all our bread, kippers- I have never heard of anyone being given 2 whole kippers as a portion. the tea pot- Lucy assured me that you were completely fine and understanding of the situation. I am sure retrospectively no one would serve a pot of tea with out a lid, unless they thought there was no other option. We try to work out our staffing levels so that customers can be looked after properly, that day you were the only walk in for breakfast, it was just as things go that our 10 rooms all arrived for breakfast at the same time and our second person began at 9am.
The second part of your review when you niether ate, nor drank with us, but gave us 1 star was a suprise since we looked after at least 200 people that day and as far as I know no one else suffered like you did. All our permanent staff over the Easter four day holiday did at least 40 hours of intense, flat out customer service, trying to look after our customers to the best of our ability, during some lovely warm Easter weather, so i think what you might have mistaken for a hangover was just day 3 of long hours.
A tap on some ones arm on Sunday morning would have acheived far more for both of us than the review you have posted, which cannot have made you feel any better having written it, nor us having read it.
Yours sincerely