“Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
leicester
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

We stayed in the top room at the hotel, (one featured on website) which was pleasnt, nice beams, but the bathroom was very average. The breakfasts were good, albeit service was very hit and miss. We dined once at the hotel and paid just shy of £100 for a very average meal. Considering the two night break with one meal cost just short of £500, it was all very overpriced.

I would sum up by saying the experience was 3* at best with a 5* price tag.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — value for money
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

I have never felt so unimpressed by a hotel in my life. First of all we were made to pay for 2 nights with their minimum 2 night stay policy (no doubt spurred on by the fact they knew there was a local wedding that weekend). In light of their snazy website and hefty pricetag I was expecting a pretty pleasant stay....it wasn't to be. The pub itself was quaint but dowdy. The room was OUTSIDE in a Butlins style commune. It was out-dated and lacking any real mod cons. The only thing going for this hotel is its breakfasts which are great but not worth the price-tag for the whole Swan experience; some of the staff are very pleasant - others let it down. Also, don't ask for sandwiches in the bar at night - they taste alright but cost the earth! There must be better value for money accomodation in this beautiful little spot.

Stayed October 2008
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed here the first time about five years back and one can report that much cash and many improvements have been spent and made since. We had a very nice room, "The Crisp Room", nothing to do with Quentin but some chap who had a lot to do with malting the barley. I must admit that its a first to stay somewhere that overlooks a brewery, but in Southwold almost eveywhere does as the brewery is central to the town, owns all the hotels and pubs, and has fingers in almost all businesses such as estate agents and holiday lets.If you are a beer drinker you wont find anything but Adnams here , nor for miles around.

Our Crisp Room was very nice, large, well lit and well appointed in most respects although the television could have been a tad larger.

We had not booked dinner when making the reservation and unfortunately a Friday night appeared to big on the agenda for the "blue rinse" brigade, at just short of sixty we would have been kindergarten in comparrison, so we went to "The Blue Lighthouse" brasserie a couple of doors down , very good value indeed.

An excellent breakfast later, time for some shopping, make sure the discount card you are given is kept handy as a lot of the shops are rather upmarket.

All in all a decent stay, I could have done with another night there.

• Liked — the brewery
  • Disliked — not having a table reserved for me in the restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

I booked a 2 night DB+B break at the Swan for my husband's birthday, and requested the Admiral's room (a huge room with great views across the rooftops to the front of the hotel, even had its own telescope). It was expensive but we didn't mind as it was a very special occasion. On arrival we soon realised we were the youngest guests by about 30 years, the hotel definitely has an olde-worlde ambience. Some of the other reviews are scathing about the decor but it didn't seem bad to me, and we are very fussy people. The staff weren't quite as friendly as in the Crown (where we also stayed for a short break last year), but no complaints. Dinner on both nights was excellent, and the breakfast set us up on both days right through till the afternoon. All in all I would say if you want the best room it's worth it - accept the expense!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Noise from street first thing in the morning (unavoidable though as room looked out over main street)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

We booked the Swan because my mother had had a stroke and required to be on the 1st floor. My sister was staying at the Blythe, and they paid a fraction of the price to receive 1st class service and accommodation. We paid a premium for two garden rooms (202/£136 retrospectively). When we arrived to find the front doors badly in need of re-decoration. The bedroom was plain – nothing luxurious about them. The bathroom was pretty poor. The flooring badly stained, smelly (something wrong with your drains, I think). No-where to put your toiletries. Mouldy window (again needing redecorating). Bath and shower old and poor condition. The only nice thing was the lovely large soft towels. We couldn’t sit on the chairs positioned outside because they were covered with algae and insects (the table also), although I asked for them to be cleaned, when they came back the algae was still there. (They were disgusting, I suggest they just take them away).

On the 2nd Day, we placed our towels on the edge of the bath, they were not changed, and I had to ask one of the housekeepers to change them. The reception I got from her was very rude ignorance. I said thank you to her a few times whilst she carried out the chore, but she just chose to ignore me sower-faced.

Obviously the hotel is old and has character, but this doesn’t mean they don’t change your furniture. I mean, How Old Were They? Stained, cushions had seen better days. I am not surprised that hardly anyone would sit in the lounge!

For the prices they charge they must give luxury service and accommodation. I am sorry but they will go out of business soon if they don’t do something about it.

Also, when checking out the reception girl even tried to charge us for the newspapers which was part of the room fee as detailed on our e-mail.

One other plus point was the garden. Lovely place to sit, but other guests were complaining about the service (waiting too long, or not getting what they ordered). One of the guests actually shouted, 5* or minus 5*! Good thing we had lovely weather!

• Liked — The Garden and the great weather we had
  • Disliked — All of it for the money we paid - cost should be more than half the price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

On arrival we were given a garden room. I would have prefered to have been in the hotel. But, having said that, the room was full of charm and most comfortable for us.

Dinner and breakfast were both high quality and delicious, in conjunction with accomplished service. It was a pleasure to eat in the restaurant.

The Swan does play a little bit by its own rules- deciding on when to open and shut the bar etc. This was not really a negative though.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience which I would recommend; as is Southwold itself.

• Liked — Englishness at its best
  • Disliked — Bar closing times!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brentwood, Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

The Swan used to be a great place to stay but now it is purely trading on its past image of quaint seaside hotel..

The public areas are no longer just 'comfortable' but tatty. and need to be taken into the twenty first century with a big redecorating programme. The staff are friendly and helpful but cannot make up for the disappointment recently of our daughter's visit. She was given one of the dreaded 'garden rooms'.

Not just a shed (as named by a previous reviewer,)but a nasty, smelly, damp shed with water seeping down a wall leaving black marks, paint peeling and a broken shower rail/curtain. Again the manager was embarrassed by this and because there were no more rooms free quickly offered to take the price down from £175 to £100 She also made excuses about waiting for finance to upgarde the rooms but this is not the customer's problem. If the rooms are not suitable then don't offer them to guests.

My daughter and her fiance had made the two and a half hour journey to Suffolk especially after a very stressful 3 weeks so the disappointment was significant and they chose to come home. A completely wasted day and disappointing weekend. (not to mention the expense of a tank of petrol wased)

My husband and I have visited many times in the past and the rooms ahve always been adequate if not particularly special but I think the owners (Adnams?) really need to stop making fools of their customers and close these garden rooms until renovations are made.

• Stayed July 2008

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!