“Great location not worth the expense” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Market Place, Southwold IP18 6EG, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Southwold
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Great location not worth the expense”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

great location in the centre of Southwold, parking can be rather difficult, and my room was at the rear in the "garden rooms" King size bed - two singles pushed together, so you can not pass the great divide !!!!!!
For the price I paid I would want a whole bed, one of which had a sunken mattress, which I did complain about but all i got was a shrug of the shoulders and they took my money.
Bathroom was tatty with water marks and flaking paint.
Bar service slow
Lots of mature patrons when I visited

Room Tip: none, make sure its a proper bed
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for the review. I’m disappointed for you not having the relaxing time in our Garden Rooms as so many do. My staff would not normally “shrug their shoulders” if a guest was delivering feedback, rest assured I will investigate this occurrence. If you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate in contacting me directly. I hope that you will return as we look forward to your return.

Swan Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Norfolk UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our 4 night stay at The Swan. We chose one of the Lighthouse Rooms which are set round a pleasant garden with a view of the famous Faro. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the staff pleasant and attentive but never obtrusive.
A reviewer grumbled about noise from the brewery; we were about as close as you could get to it and slept like logs so we weren't hearing what they were hearing.
We booked from Reception for a tour of the brewery - a well worthwhile thing to do. The samples at the end and the bottle of beer to take home make the small price of the trip pay for itself!
We had dinner in the restaurant twice (very good) but can also recommend the sandwiches from the bar.
Excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit to our hotel. A wonderful review thank you sincerely. I have to agree with the value achieved from our Brewery Tour is a genuine must whether staying in Southwold or just visiting. I have shared your feedback with the team, we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

He had a really lovely stay at the Swan. The room was lovely, light & airy and very clean. We were in a lighthouse room which was very nice. The bath panel had some water damage so that does need sprucing up as does a small utility building outside - needs painting and a general tidy up. But they were minor. The staff were very pleasant and attentive and very efficient. Everyone had a smile. The food - dinner and breakfast - was exceptional. Our bed was huge and extremely comfortable with lovely crisp clean bed linen and with a huge number of pillows and cushions. We had freesat channels on the TV and a DVD player. And the bathroom was very pleasant with a really good power shower and very nice loo roll! Decor throughout was lovely. I reckon if the bed is comfy with enough pillows to suit everyone, plenty of nice soft loo roll, nice BIG towels and a proper power shower and ticks against everything else, it's perfect! It was a very special time for us and The Swan didn't disappoint. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. My sincere thanks for your kind comments, I’m genuinely pleased we lived up to expectations for you. I have shared your feedback with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards

Suffolk, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just stayed for a really good weekend here. The room was superb (7 foot double bed) the service was first class (good attention to detail) and even the weather was kind to us. Southwold is a great place to wander round the shops, craft places, galleries, deli's, wine shop you name it and a trip to the pier is a must (very blustery but I haven't been on a pier since I was a child!)
We ate in the Hotel restaurant Saturday night and had a really good meal, 5 courses inc coffee, champagne and wine. The service was effortless, as it was at breakfast. Plus we had afternoon tea in our room.
This is the kind of place you go to relax, and be waited on and enjoy being pampered. That is what you pay for and that is what we enjoyed.

Room Tip: We had room 9 at the back of the hotel, no sea view but could see the lighthouse and it was quiet an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your recent visit to our hotel. A great review, thank you very much for all your kind words which have been shared with the whole team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

All the very best

Norwich, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I read to other reviews and thought they must have stayed somewhere else because we thought the Swan was wonderful. Yes, it may need updating in places, but we found the "old-fashioned" decor is in keeping with the character of the town. The service at reception, the bar and the restaurant was fantastic. The breakfast was just the right amount and the scrambled eggs were cooked to perfection, not too dry and not too runny. We had a free upgrade to a huge room full of character and everything you need. The bed was massive and comfortable. It is a bit over-priced even for a trendy Suffolk seaside town, more London prices. The location is perfect for exploring the town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit. Sometimes I wonder the same thing! We endeavour to deliver the best everyday, and it would seem we got it right for you. I have shared your feedback with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

All the very best

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I agree with the last review Sarah m. We stayed at the swan over a month ago, for two nights. The food was not good , the service in the evenings was good but breakfast was a farce. I asked for one poached eggs, beans and baccon. 45 MINS later it had not arrived, and most people arriving after me got theres within 15 MINS, when i asked why my breakfast was so late they told me the chef had sent out for the bean as they had run out because there were a lot of children staying. Tesco is next door to the hotel 10 MINS at the most is all it would take to get there and back if that. Why not ask the guest if they would mind waiting 45 MINS!!! for there breakfast as they had run out, or choose somthing else. I was not given a choice and when it finally arrived no EGG!!!!! the excuse was as follows "sorry but chef put your order behind another one and your order for an egg was covered up and he did not see egg written on it," At this point i gave up on breakfast and left, Here ends the great bean farce.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. I would like to apologise the drop in service standards you experienced. We do hope you will return as I’m sure your next visit will be much better than last.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at The Swan a couple of weeks ago and were v excited having wanted to stay there for a while. We booked one of the lighthouse rooms at the back for a 2 night stay for c£280 in breakfast. What a terrible mistake! They are far too pricey for what they are - small, tired, in need of a deep clean. The tea/coffee facilities were risible, the room needed a deep clean and tarting up. It was quiet as we had hoped.

We ate there the first night - a very disappointing experience, especially as we have eaten at the Swan before and thought it fantastic previously. The staff were inattentive, as evidence by the failure to present the bill. We assumed our room number had been noted but the next day my partner (who booked the restaurant) got a panicked telephone call.

Our second breakfast we arrived 9am to be told no croissants, with breakfast meant to be finishing at 10am! Initially the waitress was adamant that there would not be any more put out. I insisted and did get croissant but inedible as not fully cooked. The coffee was unacceptably weak - to be fair the previous day all had been fine, so it looks like the staff and kitchen had planned for an early finish Monday morning. The staff seemed to think they were doing us a favour by letting us have breakfast!

We did complain to reception about both the room and Monday morning's breakfast service (or lack of) and got a reduction off our evening meal bill which was outstanding. Fair enough, but overall we left feeling it was overpriced. We were reassured our comments would be passed on but have heard nothing since and to be honest given the very critical feedback we gave, I would expect to have been contacted. I guess the turnover is high enough at this hard to book hotel that critical feedback is not taken seriously.

Clearly the Swan is trading on past glories. It's not cheap though and they need to pull their socks up. Frankly we have stayed at B&Bs in Southwold where the accommodation was as good and the service better for less money. The planned hotel at the pier can clearly see there's a gap in the market!

Room Tip: Save money and go for one of the local B&Bs
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing, I do apologise for falling short of the usual high standards the Swan Hotel is known for. We do hope you will return as I’m sure your next visit we be much better than last.

Swan Hotel Manager

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!