We used to have money, but now we're Nouveau Skint. Nonetheless, nothing perks us up more than a break at the Crown, so we look out for the special offers and boy, are they good value!!!
The "standard" rooms have been revamped and are just as luxurious as ever, but fresh, updated and perky. We had our favourite room at the front and if only other hotels' basic rooms were like this. The new beds are just as comfortable as ever - neither to soft or too hard, the little armchairs, the neat furniture, lighting really well thought-out. Facilities; tea-making in rooms has instant coffee but a nice selection of teas and some home-made shortbread, and if you don't like long-life milk the staff in the back bar will always fill a jug for you. Bathrooms at the Crown, even in the standard rooms, are bigger than most faily bathrooms and I particularly like having a bathroom with an outside window, not an extractor fan. Slept like a baby and wished I was staying for a week.
The Crown has changed the way it does breakfasts. The buffet has gone, and staff will bring to your table whatever you ask for. Pricing is done according to whether you just have tea and toast or cereal or porridge or whatever, whether you choose one of the stunning cooked options (I particulary like the smoked haddock, poached egg and hollandaise sauce), or whether you have porridge etc and THEN a kipper etc. This works really well, but the menu does need to show a price for the "light" option of just tea and ceral or whatever,'cos it looks on paper as if you pay the same for this as for the cooked option, and I was told this wasn't so.
I should have had the light option really, as we had stayed on the "wine, dine and stay for free" offer, and had really pigged out the night before. Most "special offers" that look too good to be true, ARE; not in the case of the Crown's Wine Dine and Stay for Free. Treat yourself to a really good dinner including wine (for what they offer the Crown's menu is very modestly priced, and the budget they set is £125 for 2, which allows you to indulge in their seductive array of wines by the glass) and your overnight stay is free. You just pay for your breakfast. What a treat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An exciting and intimate combination of small hotel, wine bar, pub and restaurant, Adnams Crown Hotel is always buzzing with a lively informality. The food is famously good and the wine list wonderful. You don't have to take our word for it - The Crown is an award winning hotel and was named Suffolk Dining Pub of the Year by the Good Pub Guide in 2013 and 2014. Situated on Southwold's High Street in Suffolk, The Crown is at the heart of activities, and just a few moments away from the seaside. Relax before lunch or dinner in our snug 'Back Bar' with a pint of Adnams famous beer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your The Crown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crown Hotel Southwold
- Crown Southwold
- Crown Hotel Southwold
- The Crown Southwold, Suffolk