I had to come to Mildenhall on business on the 8th December and was told by my MD that I would be staying at the Riverside Hotel, my face dropped as I had stayed there on two other occations and the place was, well to be quite frank terrible. I arrived around 4.30pm and immediately noticed the new look to the front of the hotel. I parked my car in the newley tarmaced car park and made my way to reception. As I entered a friendly smiling face greated me with a good afternoon sir may I help you, I was taken aback and replied with WOW what has happened to this place?. I was told that the hotel had been bought by three local business men who closed it for six months and completley gutted it. Everything was brand new from the kitchens to the to the newley landscaped gardens.
After a couple of moments a gentleman arrived and introduced himself as the general manager and offered to show me to my room. I accepted his offer as I thought I could quiz him more on the refurbishment of the hotel. as we walked up the stairs he explained that all the rooms, restaurant , bars and function room had been
refurbished and that I was one of the first people to stay in room 16. As he opened the door you could just smell the newness. A large double bed was to one side of what I would call a good sized room, there was also air conditioning, freeview TV and tea and coffee making facalities, he explained how everything worked, told me that the bar was open if I fancied a drink and if their was anything else I required to ask for him at reception. After a piping hot shower I ventured down stairs to the bar where I was greeted by the barman. A couple of drinks later I made my way to the restaurant and was shown to my table. I am a steak man so ordered a fillet steak Med Rare I must say it was cooked to perfection. I chatted with the restaurant staff who were very friendly, they made me feel quite at home. I finished my meal with chocolate mousse cake which was delightfull. As I went up to bed I was already looking forward to breakfast.
I received my wake up call at 7.00am as promissed and after another hot shower went down to the restaurant. What can I say, the full english was perfect.
I do not usually bother with review sites but after staying at the newley refurbished and newley renamed Riverside House Hotel & Restaurant I wanted to let people know how good it is, well worth a visit. Good luck to you all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Riverside House Hotel is set on the picturesque banks of the river Lark and is located in the attractive historic town of Mildenhall. Despite undergoing a complete renovation in 2010, this 18th-century building has maintained its beautiful period features and is now bursting with a contemporary, modern charm. If you require spacious conference facilities for all your business related events, private dinners, weddings, parties, or summer barbecues, our picturesque grounds, stylish rooms and finest local cuisine, the Riverside House is the perfect venue. The hotel is situated near to the A11 and provides our guests with good access to all the local areas such Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Newmarket, Thetford and Cambridge - so whether you are looking for a relaxing break, a day at Newmarket races or wanting to find out more about this historic town and its surrounding villages, the Riverside House Hotel is the perfect location from which to venture. Mildenhall is host to a number of first class sporting events; our local football team is fast climbing the ranks of the semi-professional league, our cricket team boasts one of the finest grounds in the county and is host to a number of minor county games during the summer and for the more aquatic minded there is an excellent pool 5 minutes from the hotel. The Riverside has its own floodlit, 2 court petanque (boules) court in the garden for everyone to enjoy (except some Monday nights when we play in the local league. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Venere, Priceline, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Riverside House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riverside Hotel Mildenhall
- Riverside House Hotel Mildenhall, England