“Great Fish and Chips” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Fish and Chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We came here for the 'famous' fish and chips and wasn't disappointed! A choice of cod, haddock or plaice, I went for cod and it was cooked perfectly. The chunky chips were also great. The bar serves some good local beers.
Service was prompt and friendly despite it being a very busy Boxing Day lunch.
Highly recommended if you find yourself in this lovely corner of the country.

Visited December 2013

Surrey
“Nice old pub close to the sea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Great spot for a couple of drinks and a snack whilst in the area. Nice to be able to sit outside at the end of October and watch the world go by. Parking is easy in the huge beach car park just around the corner

Visited October 2013
“The perfect Sunday afternoon.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

After a morning of hard graft on the allotment me and my pals decided we should go somewhere for Sunday lunch. We fancied a little drive so we trundled on down to The Ship at Dunwich where I have been a few times before so knew it was good but this most recent time I was overwhelmed by just how lovely it was.

It was pretty full in the bar but even the customers here are super friendly and let four of us share their table. They set about telling us straight away how lovely their roast beef lunch they had just eaten was and how much they enjoy visiting The Ship.

The bar was so cosy and comfortable with a big open fire - it was such a warm atmosphere. If you are scared of dogs this probably isn't the place for you as it is obviously very popular with dog walkers. I love dogs so it just made the experience even more lovely.

We ordered our meals and had a little wait - in which time drank wine and played cards which were provided by the bar.

I ordered one of the specials which was chicken with pearl barley risotto, butternut squash, curly kale and their own home smoked bacon! It was so flippin delicious! The home smoking is well worth the effort as it made the dish extra special. The curly kale was so nice I had to order another side of this. Not something that is available on the menu but I have found that the staff at The Ship are always helpful and strive to fulfil any request. After dinner we played a few more rounds of cards to let our dinners go down then we ordered some of Collin's sticky toffee pudding. I have had this a few times before so I knew I wasnt going to be dissapointed. However, it's even better now they have increased their portion sizes! It really is the best sticky toffee pudding I have ever tasted.

On other occasions I have enjoyed sitting in the garden at The Ship and have found it so
peaceful. The perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine and read a book.

As well as the chicken risotto and sticky toffee - I can also really reccommend their scotch eggs which I have had a number of times. They are made to order and the yolk of the egg is still runny. Mmmmmmmm.

I will definitely be going back soon.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
maidstone
“quintessentially english”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Love this pub, set in the lovely beautiful unspoilt gem of Dunwich. Its really is like stepping back in time, there is literally a row of houses, a museum and the ship inn, what more could you ask for. The food is great and does not disappoint, although a little expensive but if you are looking for a lovely cosy place to eat, relax and sink a few ales this is it. The Ship is geared up for the walkers, bird watchers and those with dogs, take this pub for what it is, unpretentious and very welcoming. Will be back in july and september next year and we cant wait.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Pleasant enough, decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The place is nice enough, and the food decent if nothing outstanding - maybe it's best to stick to the fish which other reviewers seem to have found very good. Sunday roast was very average, and some odd things like horseradish with pork. Nothing wrong with it, just average. The bar area and what we took to be the main dining room looked nice but we ate in a small room with maybe 3 other tables so everyone's conversation was clearly audible.

• Visited September 2013