“disgusting hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Abbey Hotel to your Saves list
Abbey Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Church Street, Wymondham NR18 OPH, England (Formerly Hill House Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wymondham
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“disgusting hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was a disgusting hotel well not really a hotel more of a hostal. The place was filthy dirty, sticky floors, dirty bathroom broken shower. Very noisy people abnging & shouting at all hours of the day & night. The fire alarm went off for over two hours before anyone from MJB arrived so we had to wait out in the street. Entrence to the hotel is via a entry code rather than a key which was a pain, as the codes never worked & i had to keep calling the office & could never get a answer. I would not recomend anyone stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We arrived at 1830 and one room was fine [room 2], but the other had not been cleaned at all [room 1]. There was blood on the pillow, the bed covers had not been changed, full of litter etc etc etc. Emailed a complaint as stated in the terms and conditions and got a reply back pretty quickly [How you email a complaint without a smartphone is another matter].

We went to the local pub [which was 1 minute away and excellent] and by the time we returned the cleaning had been satisfactorily done.

Also, the curtains were hanging on using cable ties and one curtain was totally missing, but this was replaced on our second night. The floor-boards were very creaky and if anyone was in the room below us, I'm sure they'd be really annoyed - but there was nothing we could do.

It was cheap but to be honest, I don't think I would stay again as it seems like pot luck if you get a half decent room...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Cheap room I admit @ £15 however with no windows, no soap, very damp smelling shared bathroom, community lounge that is still just a commercial kitchen with the appliances removed it can barely call itself a hotel.

I have stayed here twice before when it was manned and had a bar and restaurant. It was really quite pleasant then but now i feel the offer is not even worth the £15 I paid. I would have had a nicer sleep on a park bench. I felt like I was in a prison cell, the room was barely larger than the single bed with no windows or natural light.

Would I recommend this hotel based on my recent visit? absolutely not. Spend a little more and get 10x what this group are now offering.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Benfleet, Essex.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Booked through Late Rooms & stayed here for 1 night on the 3rd Aug after attending a wedding at Barnham Broom. Had read the reviews but just needing a bed for the night we adopted the "lets just give it a go" attitude & waited patiently for the code to arrive, which it duly did. With check in after 4pm we were left with no option but to get ready elsewhere & hope that when we took the somewhat calculated risk of turning up in a cab around midnight, the code worked. It did, so we waved the cab driver off & wobbled in. First impressions were not good, I think tired would cover it, grubby stair carpet etc. We had room number 2 & the code worked for that as well. The room had wood effect cusion flooring & smelt like it hadn't been aired for ages so the dusty blinds were hitched up & bathroom/bedroom sash windows opened right up. The bed was clean, so were the provided towels, there was a stand alone white double door wardrobe, a pine dresser, some drawers, a modern flat screen TV, tea/coffee tray & even some sachets of shower gel/shampoo in the bathroom, which had a broken toilet seat. We slept ok despite some later arrivals being a bit shall we say "inconsiderate" in the early hours.
Shower worked well, we had our cup of tea & left thinking that we had got what we had paid for, a cheap bed for the night.
Provided your experience & needs are similar to ours, you shouldn't bee too dissapointed but if you don't like the odd cobweb in tired surroundings, you may well be better off staying elsewhere.
MJB clearly run this property on a shoe string budget & carry out repairs/decoration on an "only when absolutely needed" basis, that is their choice, you can take it or leave it!

Room Tip: Take your own chocolate for the pillow & an air freshener!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ramsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but what could anyone possibly imagine a hotel (and I use that word very loosely), to be like - anywhere in the UK - which only charges a virtual maximum of £15 a night? Surely the clue's in the price? Another thing... why do people book through Third Party companies such as Laterooms and Trivago etc, when booking with the hotel direct is as low as £9.99 per room per night?

Don't get me wrong, this 'hotel' is clearly awful in every possible way, apart from the price of course. It's not well managed... in fact it's not managed at all. The vast majority of the rooms are cramped, cold, damp, badly decorated or poorly furnished. Often a combination of all five unless you land really lucky!

However as I began saying, a night's stay can be had for less than £10. The only reason I've given it a two TA blobs is for that reason. Put that into perspective for goodness sake. It's considerably less than a couple of drinks in most nightclubs in the UK. Book it by all means, but NOT at your peril as some reviewers have said, but rather on the understanding that you'll get a bed, some bedding, four walls, and a roof over your head for a night. Consider anything over and above that as a bonus and you're laughing! It's all about choice, and in my opinion, choice is always a good thing, regardless of knowing beforehand what those choices might entail.

Room Tip: If you want a "good room", pay more and stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Don't book it and save your self dissapointment. Booked for two nights Family room and only stayed one night and that was because we arrived at 2.30am Saturday morning, we considerd sleeping in the car. The room had not been prepaired , The sheets had various stains including dryed blood, The toilet was disgusting, The hot water stopped running for a while, For a none smoking room the single bed had ash on the quilt cover and there was more. I did send photographs to MJB (the hotel group) to back up my claims and although they said that they had sent some one to clean the room after my phone call Sturday Morning they don't think we have a genuine complaint so what are their standards?

Room Tip: Find another Hotel that is not part of the MJB group
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lincolnshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Paid £15:99 for a place to sleep and got a place to sleep. Judging by the other reviews I was possibly lucky, in that the keycode was emailed in the morning of arrival and worked fine. The cupboard room (6A) consisted of a bed, a small side table and a naff CD/Radio. No space for clothes or even a hook on the door. I can confirm that the communal areas were scruffy and there was no toilet paper (be prepared!) in the otherwise good shared bathroom. My room was clean and dry, I am not in to stripping bedding to check for stains. I guess it is more of a hostel type place than a hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone expecting a breakfast, charming receptionist or any form of service! Please just take it as it is, a cheap place to crash out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!