“Not a Hotel, shoebox would be more appropriate.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Abbey Hotel to your Saves list
Abbey Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Church Street, Wymondham NR18 OPH, England (Formerly Hill House Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wymondham
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Not a Hotel, shoebox would be more appropriate.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Cheap room I admit @ £15 however with no windows, no soap, very damp smelling shared bathroom, community lounge that is still just a commercial kitchen with the appliances removed it can barely call itself a hotel.

I have stayed here twice before when it was manned and had a bar and restaurant. It was really quite pleasant then but now i feel the offer is not even worth the £15 I paid. I would have had a nicer sleep on a park bench. I felt like I was in a prison cell, the room was barely larger than the single bed with no windows or natural light.

Would I recommend this hotel based on my recent visit? absolutely not. Spend a little more and get 10x what this group are now offering.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Benfleet, Essex.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Booked through Late Rooms & stayed here for 1 night on the 3rd Aug after attending a wedding at Barnham Broom. Had read the reviews but just needing a bed for the night we adopted the "lets just give it a go" attitude & waited patiently for the code to arrive, which it duly did. With check in after 4pm we were left with no option but to get ready elsewhere & hope that when we took the somewhat calculated risk of turning up in a cab around midnight, the code worked. It did, so we waved the cab driver off & wobbled in. First impressions were not good, I think tired would cover it, grubby stair carpet etc. We had room number 2 & the code worked for that as well. The room had wood effect cusion flooring & smelt like it hadn't been aired for ages so the dusty blinds were hitched up & bathroom/bedroom sash windows opened right up. The bed was clean, so were the provided towels, there was a stand alone white double door wardrobe, a pine dresser, some drawers, a modern flat screen TV, tea/coffee tray & even some sachets of shower gel/shampoo in the bathroom, which had a broken toilet seat. We slept ok despite some later arrivals being a bit shall we say "inconsiderate" in the early hours.
Shower worked well, we had our cup of tea & left thinking that we had got what we had paid for, a cheap bed for the night.
Provided your experience & needs are similar to ours, you shouldn't bee too dissapointed but if you don't like the odd cobweb in tired surroundings, you may well be better off staying elsewhere.
MJB clearly run this property on a shoe string budget & carry out repairs/decoration on an "only when absolutely needed" basis, that is their choice, you can take it or leave it!

Room Tip: Take your own chocolate for the pillow & an air freshener!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ramsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but what could anyone possibly imagine a hotel (and I use that word very loosely), to be like - anywhere in the UK - which only charges a virtual maximum of £15 a night? Surely the clue's in the price? Another thing... why do people book through Third Party companies such as Laterooms and Trivago etc, when booking with the hotel direct is as low as £9.99 per room per night?

Don't get me wrong, this 'hotel' is clearly awful in every possible way, apart from the price of course. It's not well managed... in fact it's not managed at all. The vast majority of the rooms are cramped, cold, damp, badly decorated or poorly furnished. Often a combination of all five unless you land really lucky!

However as I began saying, a night's stay can be had for less than £10. The only reason I've given it a two TA blobs is for that reason. Put that into perspective for goodness sake. It's considerably less than a couple of drinks in most nightclubs in the UK. Book it by all means, but NOT at your peril as some reviewers have said, but rather on the understanding that you'll get a bed, some bedding, four walls, and a roof over your head for a night. Consider anything over and above that as a bonus and you're laughing! It's all about choice, and in my opinion, choice is always a good thing, regardless of knowing beforehand what those choices might entail.

Room Tip: If you want a "good room", pay more and stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Don't book it and save your self dissapointment. Booked for two nights Family room and only stayed one night and that was because we arrived at 2.30am Saturday morning, we considerd sleeping in the car. The room had not been prepaired , The sheets had various stains including dryed blood, The toilet was disgusting, The hot water stopped running for a while, For a none smoking room the single bed had ash on the quilt cover and there was more. I did send photographs to MJB (the hotel group) to back up my claims and although they said that they had sent some one to clean the room after my phone call Sturday Morning they don't think we have a genuine complaint so what are their standards?

Room Tip: Find another Hotel that is not part of the MJB group
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lincolnshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Paid £15:99 for a place to sleep and got a place to sleep. Judging by the other reviews I was possibly lucky, in that the keycode was emailed in the morning of arrival and worked fine. The cupboard room (6A) consisted of a bed, a small side table and a naff CD/Radio. No space for clothes or even a hook on the door. I can confirm that the communal areas were scruffy and there was no toilet paper (be prepared!) in the otherwise good shared bathroom. My room was clean and dry, I am not in to stripping bedding to check for stains. I guess it is more of a hostel type place than a hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone expecting a breakfast, charming receptionist or any form of service! Please just take it as it is, a cheap place to crash out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Benfleet, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

You know it's bad when the local cab driver sharply inhales when you tell him you're staying at The Abbey.

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here overnight whilst going to a wedding in nearby Hethersett. For £30 for a night we were pretty chuffed to be honest. But there wasn't alot else to be pleased about. Firstly, there's no check in till 1600. Considering we had to be at the wedding at 1500, this presented a problem with getting ready beforehand. I asked if we could check in early just to get ready, to be told that it would cost an extra £20 to check in at 1400. Considering that the room for the night was only £30, we had lunch and got changed in a nearby pub for free. Take that MJB!! £20 to check in 2 hours early? Stuff that.

Also, there's no free onsite parking, contrary to the advert I saw on LateRooms.com. When I called the company to ask them were the car park was, I was told by some miserable so and so that there was no parking and they were talking about the pay and display down the road, which although not expensive is not free. Had I known this, I wouldn't have booked the room, because we drove there and needed a place to park.

There is also no staff on site. You're emailed a code to get into the front door, and a code to get into your room. We didn't recieve our codes until an hour before we actually wanted to get into the room, and considering we didn't actually enter until 1am, that would've made life incredibly difficult for someone who was entering at bang on 1600.

We luckily had an en-suite in our room, but we were located next to the shared bathroom so I awoke to hear everyone getting in the shower and the pipes rattling, which isn't nice at all. The water pressure was pretty good though, so at least I had a decent shower in the morning
Furthermore, considering they had till 1600 to clean the room, they didn't actually bother and the toilet was filthy.

All in all, for £30 I didn't expect alot better, but this was definitley a one night thing. If you're looking to stay for a couple of days, go somewhere else and enjoy your time there.

Room Tip: There is no free parking, it's £3.00 a day in the local Pay and Display. There is no staff. Wy...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Booked via laterooms, saw the price and thought this was too good to be true....and it was!! We were aware that it was unstaffed and was keycode entry for rooms before booking. However we did not realise how difficult obtaining the codes would be. We were given 2 incorrect codes, one of which gave us access to someone else's room and their belongs and the other that led to frantic cals at midnight to obtain the correct one! The rooms were adequate but were dirty, lacking in toilet paper, had a faulty kettle, no tea and coffee facilities and a shower which fell off the wall! The communal areas were scruffy & the carpet in serious need of replacement as it was far beyond cleaning! However, Wymondham it self is very nice & can recommend either The Green Dragon or Crossed Keys pubs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!